Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post
    Can anyone see ANY reason to use Google Maps any longer?

Tom

My co-worker says that Google's site maps are more up to date. But I will have to test that to see if it is true.
    Works very well, even on a loud MTA bus.
    As a whole, speech/voice recognition stuff is nice but a pain in the narrow urethra for folks who stutter, like me.

Very nice app anyway.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    This makes me all the more jealous that I can't afford $45 a month for the stupid internet... ah well...
    LongLivePalm
    $45/month data? You must be on Verizon.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    There is no difference in Live Maps vs. Google Maps (in terms of accuracy.)

They are even wrong in the same ways.
    I can't stand Google Maps: no full screen, no turn-by-turn and I find the UI to be non-intuitive, especially for finding businesses. Google really half-a**es it when it comes to WM. I imagine they are doing the good stuff for their mobile OS.

I do keep it as a backup, in case Live doesn't show something or I want to double check--this happened the other day where Live didn't show a Meineke shop but GMaps did.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    There was an earlier thread that discussed Sprint offering native GPS for their phones, and that the 700wx didn't have this functionality.

Is an external GPS receiver still required for using Live Search and GPS?
    Even with all the coolness of Windows Live I still use google maps first for the basics. I have a 700w and resource usage is an issue. Google maps loads faster and runs faster than Live Search for me. I really only use either one when I am searching for a business. For actual navigation I usually use TomTom. I personally like being able to type "Dana Hills high school, dana point, ca" and hitting enter. With live you have to tap new location, choose city, scroll to California, scroll to city.

Guess what. I just tried using speak to choose location. It worked beautifully. I take back everything I just said except the load and run speed. I may just have to deal with that. I also like the way traffic is displayed on Google maps but again I may have to learn to live with that also.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just Installed And Loveing It
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just Installed And Loveing It
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    There was an earlier thread that discussed Sprint offering native GPS for their phones, and that the 700wx didn't have this functionality.

Is an external GPS receiver still required for using Live Search and GPS?
    I believe so...
    END OF LINE
    Im not quite sure how i missed this one, but the voice activation is really great. I am having a great time playing with it.

Are there any other gems like this?

Is google maps (or yahoo maps) worth the download?
    Hi all

Glad you like the app. Just to address a few issues raised:

- as far as entering addressing on the choose location screen, that is how it must be done for now (think of the search box as a "What" and the Choose Location as "Where"). This will change in future; we needed back end support for disambiguation (separating what from where) before being able to unify them (pre-speech versions tried to geocode the What text if it didn't return search results but the results weren't always good)

- re GPS - if you have a device with inbuilt GPS (not aGPS), you should be able to use it. GPSID is the recommended way to do this, as it allows the GPS driver to be shared with other apps and is the default setting, but you can specify an explicit COM port in the settings if necessary (and typically this is what you'd do if using Bluetooth GPS).

- it's worth noting that the speech grammars are contextual - i.e. they are based on the search and geocode data, they are not generic English grammars. This means you'll get better recognition overall, but may occasionally find something won't be recognised no matter how hard you try - the grammar just doesn't have a match!

- re performance - Live Search is built on Compact Framework 1, which does impact performance (especially startup). We continue to try to improve in this area.

- re future features - stay tuned! We have a long list of features and the app will continue to get better! You will notice that you can send us feedback directly (from the menu in the main view). Feel free to send us your suggestions, complaints, etc. You will need to have configured your Outlook to be able to send mail in order for the feedback mechanism to work.

Once again, thanks for using Live Search!
    thanks for the response!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by zonku View Post
    Hi all

Glad you like the app. Just to address a few issues raised:

- as far as entering addressing on the choose location screen, that is how it must be done for now (think of the search box as a "What" and the Choose Location as "Where"). This will change in future; we needed back end support for disambiguation (separating what from where) before being able to unify them (pre-speech versions tried to geocode the What text if it didn't return search results but the results weren't always good)

- re GPS - if you have a device with inbuilt GPS (not aGPS), you should be able to use it. GPSID is the recommended way to do this, as it allows the GPS driver to be shared with other apps and is the default setting, but you can specify an explicit COM port in the settings if necessary (and typically this is what you'd do if using Bluetooth GPS).

- it's worth noting that the speech grammars are contextual - i.e. they are based on the search and geocode data, they are not generic English grammars. This means you'll get better recognition overall, but may occasionally find something won't be recognised no matter how hard you try - the grammar just doesn't have a match!

- re performance - Live Search is built on Compact Framework 1, which does impact performance (especially startup). We continue to try to improve in this area.

- re future features - stay tuned! We have a long list of features and the app will continue to get better! You will notice that you can send us feedback directly (from the menu in the main view). Feel free to send us your suggestions, complaints, etc. You will need to have configured your Outlook to be able to send mail in order for the feedback mechanism to work.

Once again, thanks for using Live Search!
    Nice application! So, "Zonku" are you going to stick around on the boards for future feedback? (Yes, I know there's a feedback feature built into Live Search.)
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Wow. That was a cool response. Zonku... any idea on whether or not voice guidance will be added? Sure would be awesome...
    END OF LINE
    We can't give dates for when features will be released; however, voice turn-by-turn directions is obviously a much requested feature and high on our list of things we'd like to do. Integration into the contacts app is another; we had to hold back on shipping this due to interaction issues with a competitor's product, but its coming.

One thing I said about the What/Where was a bit misleading - you *can* speak both a what and a where simultaneously, e.g. "pizza in Redmond, Washington" (use "in" or "near" as a separator to help the parser). This doesn't work for text input (yet).

For the person who doesn't have Internet access - you can always use ActiveSync at home and then work disconnected. The app caches recent routes, searches, map tiles, etc. It's not an ideal experience but its workable (I've done something similar when travelling in the Olympic National Park where there is very poor cell phone coverage).

I'll try keep posting here if there are issues of broad interest, else do use the feedback. One advantage of being a free app is that your motivation is purely to delight your customers! Your happiness and satisfaction is our reward.
    along the same lines of the "what/where" issue, I found saying something like "Movie theaters 10012" works very well (say the numbers, "one, zero, zero...".)

Of course that assumes you know the zip code, but if you do it's fast and I found quite accurate.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thanks for the reply, Zonku. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing where you guys take the app!
    END OF LINE
    No traffic available on MS Live for the Orlando area. Bummer..
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast