Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Man this app is fire! this will get me to alot of unknown places here....thanks.
    Treo 700wx,755p,Htc Diamond...
    It understands my address but can't map it
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    It understands my address but can't map it
    Really? It understands my address fine. Are you reciting your entire address or are you specifying the location...and then trying to tell it your street address?

If you don't recite your entire address: number, street, city all at once, it will think you are specifying a business. It will only map an address if the entire address is in the location field.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Wow! The speech recognition is really good here. Almost seems better than MS Voice Command (which should be better, since it has less "vocabulary" right?).

If I say Olive Garden I get a list of the closest Olive Garden restaurants. If I say 2970 Peachtree Circle, Aurora, IL I get the street address and then I can get directions to it from my curretn location.

Nice to see MS is still capable of innovating after all these years at the top of the hill.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    If I say 2970 Peachtree Circle, Aurora, IL I get the street address
    Ok, I don't know what's up but this doesn't seem to work for me

Any address I enter it recognizes, but when it comes to actually mapping it, I get nada. I did install this to the SD card if that makes any difference, but certainly shouldn't I wouldn't think. I 'm also using a 750 with WM6 which again shouldn't make a difference. If I say the name of a business it works fine, but doesn't seem to want to map an address for me

I took some screenshots of what I'm seeing....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    this does not seem to find any addresses for me. it understands my speech perfectly though. and it will pull up businesses lightening fast! anybody else having trouble getting it to find known addresses? rr
    Ok, I don't know what's up but this doesn't seem to work for me

Any address I enter it recognizes, but when it comes to actually mapping it, I get nada. I did install this to the SD card if that makes any difference, but certainly shouldn't I wouldn't think. I 'm also using a 750 with WM6 which again shouldn't make a difference. If I say the name of a business it works fine, but doesn't seem to want to map an address for me

I took some screenshots of what I'm seeing....
    Are you entering/reciting the address after clicking on "Choose a new location..."?

1. Click Choose a new location...
    2. Click the Speak soft key.
    3. Recite the address: 2970 Peachtree Circle, Aurora, IL
    4. Validate Aurora, IL
    5. Validate 2970 Peachtree Cir
    6. Treo will show Located '2970 Peachtree Cir, Aurora, IL 60502-4495, United States.
    7. Click the Done soft key.
    8. Address will show as the current location.
    9. Click on the Map icon.
    10. Zoom to the Street level and you will see a green flag on the address.

I discovered that if you are looking at the screen that says <Speak or Type Business>, you can only get results for a business or residential listing (by name, not address). To look up an address (by address), you have to do that by specifying a new location.

Examples

Business Search:

Pizza Hut near Fort Washington, MD will list the Pizza Huts in Fort Washington, MD

Residential Search:

Robert Smith near Fort Washington, MD will list all the Robert Smiths in Fort Washington (assuming they are in the phone book"

Address Search:

2. Say 2970 Peachtree Circle, Aurora, IL
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 10/18/2007 at 12:15 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Are you entering/reciting the address after clicking on "Choose a new location..."?

2. Click the Speak soft key.
    3. Recite the address: 2970 Peachtree Circle, Aurora, IL
    4. Validate Aurora, IL
    5. Validate 2970 Peachtree Cir
    6. Treo will show Located '2970 Peachtree Cir, Aurora, IL 60502-4495, United States.
    7. Click the Done soft key.
    8. Address will show as the current location.
    9. Click on the Map icon.
    10. Zoom to the Street level and you will see a green flag on the address.
    The steps above do work and was not what I was doing as that certainly isn't intuitive

The steps above do work and was not what I was doing as that certainly isn't intuitive
    True, but we're talking about Microsoft here. Not exactly pioneers of intuitive interfaces. Still, it works once you get used to it.

I've found that if I set the location where I am, the rest is intuitive enough for finding a business or residential listing. I assume that is how they meant for it to be used.

As a GPS system, it is less intuitive because the natural assumption is to be able to request an address regardless of what screen you are on.

Oh well, what can we expect considering the price (FREE).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

True...I used the feeback mechanism in the app to indicate the unintuitiveness of address search

I have to say... this is pure AWESOMENESS!
    ya if you have easily recognizable names and stuff... i'm getting like a 30% success rate...
    This is actually pretty good.

Live is becoming the killer app for Windows Mobile.
    Can anyone see ANY reason to use Google Maps any longer?

Tom
    I must say, I really don't see a compelling reason to use Google Maps over this...especially with the added voice recognition.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post

Tom
    I agree. This is actually better. The turn by turn directions work pretty good and being able to go full screen is cool. I am still trying to get the traffic part. I turned it on in Dallas traffic and didn't see anything different.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post

Tom
    well, in DC live's traffic source only gives & maps traffic for 3/4 of the area. Google covers everything. I suspect there are similar stories in other metro markets.

I use google for traffic, but that's it.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    The only thing missing for me is turn-by-turn voice guidance... if you give me that, and it stays free, well, I don't think I could ask for anything else...
    END OF LINE
    I think the only thing googlemaps has over this app is DIRECT interaction with contacts (not that big of a deal I guess). I find the directions on Live even better than Google...I did a search going from Syracuse NY to NJ, and it mentiond a couple spots of construction with dates and times, and at least one was confirmed by a friend of mine that drove through it. Awesome!!!!
    Hello everyone,

I downloaded this the other day & it very SWEET. I have used it & got the information I wanted. Just make sure you have your location right.

Call the business get directions & all.

check it out.

Lorenzo
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast