Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 90 of 90
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Its a bizzare decision by HTC to cut the ram short. If you are building a new device from scratch, how is the decision reached to try and get by with the bear minimum RAM? Why not overkill it? At least test the device to inusre the memory management works properly. I had the black Q and it had 57 megs of ram, which seems enough. But open up WMP and bam, your down to 8 megs. Try and surf the net when you are listening to music and you run into problems. I just dont understand it. At least with Treo, I can listen to music, surf the net, do email and have about every other app running and still have over 10 megs. Its the standard as far as Im concerned.
    WM6 is a resource hog. RAM costs money and is very battery intensive even when "free". They were probably suprised when they saw how much RAM wm6 needed. Then they had to balance cost, and battery life. The latter two winning...

    It will be interesting to see what palm does with the 800- Hopefully they learned their lesson with the 700w- I doubt it though...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    WM6 is a resource hog. RAM costs money and is very battery intensive even when "free". They were probably suprised when they saw how much RAM wm6 needed. Then they had to balance cost, and battery life. The latter two winning...

    It will be interesting to see what palm does with the 800- Hopefully they learned their lesson with the 700w- I doubt it though...
    In the youtube video of the Treo 750 running WM6, guess how much RAM is available?

    48mb

    And it's blazingly fast with no problems running 10 (?) programs at once.

    That's all HTC's failing.

    Palm already learned from the 700w hence the 700wx, lol. They made up for it, imo.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #83  
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

    Good post
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

    Good post
    thx, though I do agree with your point: WM6 does use more resources. Palm just seems more adept at maximizing them.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. #85  
    I couldn't take it any longer so I picked up the 6800 last week & let me say I've enjoyed it much more than the 6700. I've used my 700wx on sprint since last september and it's been a really good device, so I was a bit apprehensive to try another htc device(two handed use, sliding keyboard etc etc). For the first couple of days I missed the one handedness of my wx. I can say that it was really easy for me to adapt to the two handedness of the 6800 though. When I had the 6700 I hated it, it was such a brick. The wx was nice in size but honestly I feel that the size & thickness of the 6800 is better than both. The screen on the 6800 is also really really nice. That's one of the things that left me desiring for more when I had my wx. The 6800's screen is extremely nice in terms of size & quality. Bluetooth is one of the few things I despised on my wx but the bluetooth so far on the 6800 has worked flawlessly for me. I know there have been reports of choppy sound and what not but I been using a moto h700 with no problems at all. Although on my wx I got by perfectly fine without builtin wifi, i've come to appreciate the fact that it's nice to have because there are times when it is definitely needed. The only real downside that I can comment on the 6800 is the amount of ram. I mean I haven't had any trouble with the device slowing down or anything because i've had close to 14 appz running at one time without any significant slowdown but i did only have less than 3 mb's free.

    One area where I was really surprised was with the actual phone part. I did not expect the 6800 to work better than my wx but it did. I've noticed that I get much better signal on my 6800 than my wx. I've even measured the rssi value for both and it seems that the 6800 catches signal pretty well even though it has an internal antenna. My treo would always drop calls at home and so far my 6800 hasn't done it once. The phone part actually works pretty darn good. To anyone who's still debating on whether they should buy a 6800 I say go ahead and try it. The wifi, actual working bluetooth, bigger screen are all a plus in my book. I do however miss the one handedness but I've got large hands so the sliding keyboard makes up for it because I can type with ease. I can also see that the ram issue on the 6800 could become a potential problem. The 6800 is a real nice pda but I'm not sure if I can give up my 700wx completely (or atleast until the 800w comes out lol). I wasn't expecting to purchase a 6800 but I did and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    I couldn't take it any longer so I picked up the 6800 last week & let me say I've enjoyed it much more than the 6700. I've used my 700wx on sprint since last september and it's been a really good device, so I was a bit apprehensive to try another htc device(two handed use, sliding keyboard etc etc). For the first couple of days I missed the one handedness of my wx. I can say that it was really easy for me to adapt to the two handedness of the 6800 though. When I had the 6700 I hated it, it was such a brick. The wx was nice in size but honestly I feel that the size & thickness of the 6800 is better than both. The screen on the 6800 is also really really nice. That's one of the things that left me desiring for more when I had my wx. The 6800's screen is extremely nice in terms of size & quality. Bluetooth is one of the few things I despised on my wx but the bluetooth so far on the 6800 has worked flawlessly for me. I know there have been reports of choppy sound and what not but I been using a moto h700 with no problems at all. Although on my wx I got by perfectly fine without builtin wifi, i've come to appreciate the fact that it's nice to have because there are times when it is definitely needed. The only real downside that I can comment on the 6800 is the amount of ram. I mean I haven't had any trouble with the device slowing down or anything because i've had close to 14 appz running at one time without any significant slowdown but i did only have less than 3 mb's free.

    One area where I was really surprised was with the actual phone part. I did not expect the 6800 to work better than my wx but it did. I've noticed that I get much better signal on my 6800 than my wx. I've even measured the rssi value for both and it seems that the 6800 catches signal pretty well even though it has an internal antenna. My treo would always drop calls at home and so far my 6800 hasn't done it once. The phone part actually works pretty darn good. To anyone who's still debating on whether they should buy a 6800 I say go ahead and try it. The wifi, actual working bluetooth, bigger screen are all a plus in my book. I do however miss the one handedness but I've got large hands so the sliding keyboard makes up for it because I can type with ease. I can also see that the ram issue on the 6800 could become a potential problem. The 6800 is a real nice pda but I'm not sure if I can give up my 700wx completely (or atleast until the 800w comes out lol). I wasn't expecting to purchase a 6800 but I did and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.
    No disrespect intended at all, but you essentially echo what I was saying after a week with the mogul. The screen is awesome, reception is great and it "feels" good in many ways. However, it was not long before I just couldent take it anymore. The treo is just so efficient.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  7. revaaron's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #87  
    it's very hard for me to go to the 2-handed-ness of it. the treo 650 I could type on it without looking or thinking... the 6800 seems a lot harder. and yeah, it's got a great screen that is too small to read while driving. I'm so far unhappy that I switched except for the speed of downloads and the fact that the 650 was a terrible phone. it's nice to be able to hear people once again.

    I'm hoping that they come out with a thumbpad for the 6800.

    Also, the battery life is terrible. on top of that, the charge time is horrendous. I've had it plugged in all night and it's not yet charged.

    I bought this things so that I could do all my emailing from the road on it... but I'm not happy thus far. Someone needs to make a "power" user thing for it.

    oh and the fact that
    1) it didn't come with a strap
    2) the strap is in the wrong location to have it teathered AND be able to use it.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    14. Bugs me a bit that the USB on the phone is a proprietary design requiring an adapter to connect a standard mini-USB cable. That means more adapters and cable to have around to charge/sync/hear music.

    MiniUSB works fine with or without the included adapters. The included adapters I've noticed are for using the headset while plugged into USB for charging etc..

    I have used the phone since it was released and can't wait to get back to my Treo. It is neat that the keyboard slides and it has wifi but if I had to trade both of those for a Treo I would. Either I have used a Treo for so long and have grown so used to the feel that I can't go with anything else or the Treo actually is a much easier device given it's lack of technology (to date, hopefully will change soon).

    I had worse problems with bluetooth on the Mogul that I have had on the 700wx with the main complaints of being choppy and sound quality liken to that of a set of tin cans tied together with string.

    I had a much better experience with the battery than most here. My battery life was outstanding. With a number of apps running as well as Good Messaging I managed a day and a half on a full battery. Charging the thing however was tricky to decipher. If connected via MiniUSB to my laptop while at work, it could stay on all day and not charge fully. I then found that while connected to a machine instead of the wall it would only trickel charge. I'm not sure that's any better than the 700wx not being able to charge at all when connected to the sync cable alone.

    Phone performance seemed slower than the 700 with the same setup program/running app wise. I would assume that related to the lower available memory versus the 700. After a half days use a reboot was needed to get the initial speed back.

    If I were given this phone it would be fantastic.

    If I had to pay my hard earned money, I would stick with the Treo 700wx (or stick it out for the 800) and not look back.


    EDIT: On a side note, when using the Mogul with Vista the integration was seemless. There was hardly any setup for using the Mogul as a modem through Bluetooth and USB. That made me very happy and quite possibly the best feature for me from the Mogul.
    Last edited by jrinehart; 08/14/2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Topographical errors
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
    it's very hard for me to go to the 2-handed-ness of it. the treo 650 I could type on it without looking or thinking... the 6800 seems a lot harder. and yeah, it's got a great screen that is too small to read while driving. I'm so far unhappy that I switched except for the speed of downloads and the fact that the 650 was a terrible phone. it's nice to be able to hear people once again.

    I'm hoping that they come out with a thumbpad for the 6800.

    Also, the battery life is terrible. on top of that, the charge time is horrendous. I've had it plugged in all night and it's not yet charged.

    I bought this things so that I could do all my emailing from the road on it... but I'm not happy thus far. Someone needs to make a "power" user thing for it.

    oh and the fact that
    1) it didn't come with a strap
    2) the strap is in the wrong location to have it teathered AND be able to use it.
    You can adjust the font size to make it larger. The battery life will be different on a 3g network, but there are plenty of things you can do to increase battery life (turning off the IR beaming, adjust screen brightness, don't pull mail every 5 minutes, etc). My 6800 battery life is actually better than I got on my 700wx with the extended 2400mAh battery.

    Check out these 2 forums for more help on the issues you are having

    http://ppcgeeks.com/viewforum,f,45.html

    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6800-xv6800/
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  10. #90  
    So after a year what is the TRUE verdict on this argument?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions