1.    #1  
    Is there a way i can make my contacts apeer as first name last name instead of last name first????
    Quote Originally Posted by chavezguy04 View Post
    Is there a way i can make my contacts apeer as first name last name instead of last name first????
    Enter both into the "First Name" field.

-Frank
  3.    #3  
    i have done that but still place the last name first then first!!!
    i have done that but still place the last name first then first!!!
    Hmm... mine doesn't.

-Frank
    Enter data into the fields it's designed for. If you do this you'll cripple your ability to use other software etc and have them run correctly. There are several 3rd party solutions to this. Use the search function and you'll get a lot of solutions.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  6.    #6  
    o i c what software in particular do you suggest...so should i edit all of them.... also i dont know everyones last name so i use first name and something that resemble them for example my dad... then it displays it as follows :dad,my <<<< see its annoying
    o i c what software in particular do you suggest...so should i edit all of them.... also i dont know everyones last name so i use first name and something that resemble them for example my dad... then it displays it as follows :dad,my <<<< see its annoying
    If you enter "My Dad" into the First Name field, or the Last Name field, or the Company Name, it should display as "My Dad", not "Dad, My".

Doesn't yours work that way? Have you tried it?

-Frank
    to the original poster - you may or may not know this already, but the sort order of how the Contacts look really makes no difference when it comes to looking them up. Here's what I mean:

Just because they appear last name and then first, doesn't matter at all - let's take Bob Jones as an example.

In your contacts, he may be sorted as
    Jones, Bob

but when you look him up, you can do that any number of ways:

B-O {space} J-O
    or
    B-O-B {space} J-O
    or
    B-O-B and then scroll (but who wants to do that??)
    or
    J-O-N-E-S
    or
    J-O {space} B-O

get the idea? Don't look at how they're sorted; just enter some letters and he'll be right there.

Also remember that you can look him up right from the Today screen. No need AT ALL to hit Menu/Contacts, etc. Just go with this process, right from the Today screen:

One or two letters of first name {SPACE} one or two letters of last

and there he'll be.
  9.    #9  
    johnny mac...thanks sir for input!!!!
    I always place a comma at the end of the name. Example: William Shatner,. Then if I have a business that has 3 words to it it still comes out exactly how you put it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgrulz View Post
    I always place a comma at the end of the name. Example: William Shatner,. Then if I have a business that has 3 words to it it still comes out exactly how you put it in.
    or you could just put the business name into the company slot.

seriously, use the proper fields for normalization of your data.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    or you could just put the business name into the company slot.

seriously, use the proper fields for normalization of your data.
    It would of been nice of you could of helped instead of just blurting out gibberish. You suggested 3rd party software and when they asked for help you weren't heard from. Seriously.
    It would of been nice of you could of helped instead of just blurting out gibberish. You suggested 3rd party software and when they asked for help you weren't heard from. Seriously.
    I don't get in here on a regular basis. Sorry. Since you appear to be too lazy to use the search function on this website as I suggested to chavezguy in another thread when as I recall he was again looking for other ppl to do the work for him. You might consider looking into Pocket Informant 2007 which lets you list contacts and filter them in nearly any manner you want. There are many other options as well. Using the search function will yield those results and answer the questions posed here.
    Normalization in this case means you follow the rule and input the data into the fields it's supposed to go into. If by gibberish you're referring to "normalization" it's a common word that refers to following certain rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I don't get in here on a regular basis. Sorry. Since you appear to be too lazy to use the search function on this website as I suggested to chavezguy in another thread when as I recall he was again looking for other ppl to do the work for him. You might consider looking into Pocket Informant 2007 which lets you list contacts and filter them in nearly any manner you want. There are many other options as well. Using the search function will yield those results and answer the questions posed here.
    Normalization in this case means you follow the rule and input the data into the fields it's supposed to go into. If by gibberish you're referring to "normalization" it's a common word that refers to following certain rules.
    you put more time into gibberish than helping other people. he did just ask a question which could of been answered with 3 words but no you would rather ramble on about nothing helpful. "Use search engine" or "try pocket informant 2007" they are the same amount of words. You could of just as easily answered his question rather than complaining. I was just trying to be helpful to my best knowledge but you take your time out to prove that you are a complete nerd and a 40 year old virgin. Nice job Andy!
    Last edited by lgrulz; 06/27/2007 at 12:44 AM.
    you put more time into gibberish than helping other people. he did just ask a question which could of been answered with 3 words but no you would rather ramble on about nothing helpful. "Use search engine" or "try pocket informant 2007" they are the same amount of words. You could of just as easily answered his question rather than complaining. I was just trying to be helpful to my best knowledge but you take your time out to prove that you are a complete nerd and a 40 year old virgin. Nice job Andy!
    You're a real piece of work. I answered your question and you toss around insults. Nice. You're going to make a lot of friends here.

Since you apparently need a lot of help I'll spell it all out for you using small words.

There's a search function on this forum (see the search button above) that lets you type in a keyword like on google and you can select what forums you want it to search. In general forum etiquette is that you look to find the answer yourself to see if your question has been asked and answered before. This is all spelled out in the Forum Guidelines which apparently you did not bother to read.

PocketInformant2007 is a program you install on your treo as a replacement for the contact and calendar program that's stock on the device. Filtering is a way of limiting what information you look at. If you have 10 contacts, you can assign categories to them, say business, or personal. A filter reduces what information you're seeing. If you only want to see personal contacts it will do that. Pocket Informant also allows you to list a contact in a variety of ways, first last, last first, company, by category, department, city, state, country, etc.

There are several other programs which do similar things and would accomplish what Chavezguy is looking for. Using the search function or reading any number of the various FAQs (frequently asked questions) will yield that information.

I used a word which you could look up in a dictionary. Don't blame me for your ignorance. When you complained I defined it for you and why it's important.

Nerd? 40yo virgin. hahaha. Since you mention it. I'm 37, married to a beautiful, intelligent woman, a father, marathon runner, mountaineer and formerly nationally ranked athlete. ...hardly a nerdy 40yo virgin, but thanks for suggesting it, as I needed a good laugh. I'm guessing you're <21 and living at home.

I'm done addressing your immature, rude commentary. If you continue to address forum posters in the manner you have, you're not going to find the information you're looking for. Grow up.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 06/27/2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Wow the hot air coming from your mouth is about as rancid if not more so than the hot air coming from my arse after mexican food. Good luck this year in your special olympics may all your windows be crystal clear. Look that up Andy Stitzer.
    I was having the same problem, but finally figured it out. What you need to do use active sync to outlook contacts, make sure on outlook contacts on your desktop or laptop shows the first name first, then you do a reverse sync from you desktop/laptop back to your phone and hay presto it shows the first name first. Now this is done anytime you add a new contact on your phone it puts the first name first.
    I just change this in Outlook using the file as drop down in the contact edit screen. I just change each individual one I want to appear first name then last name.