1.    #1  
    Just got done with my first round trip and thought I would relay my impressions. this is an excellent program that worked flawlessly. Set up took about half an hour and that was it, your off and running. my previously owned blue tooth gps reciever was recognized as soon as I clicked the port it was connected too. Directions were very good, 3D map worked perfectly. Went off my route a few times just to see how the program responded and it worked perfectly. One downside is no text to speech so the program doesnt actually say street names, which was a disappointment. the only other shortcoming appears to be the name of the street you are currently on does not display. I am checking to see if there is a setting I am missing. Overall though, for 149, a great deal that is easy to operate and works pretty much as well as any in dash nav system.
    no vocal street names that I'm aware of.Ive been using 6 for about 3 weeks
    Hmmm...

According to the TomTom website, TomTom Navigator 6 provides "Clear and accurate spoken and visual instructions" and that it "speaks some 22 languages in over 50 different voices. "

I'm getting ready to purchase TomTom Navigator 6 with a Holux M-1000 GPS receiver for $159.99 here for anyone that is interested.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    gksmith did you come across this bargain deal
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...0-41--1536.htm

Ive been using the set up for 3 weeks.The gps receiver is the best Ive ever used.30 hours of use per full charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    gksmith did you come across this bargain deal
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...0-41--1536.htm

Ive been using the set up for 3 weeks.The gps receiver is the best Ive ever used.30 hours of use per full charge.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Hmmm...

According to the TomTom website, TomTom Navigator 6 provides "Clear and accurate spoken and visual instructions" and that it "speaks some 22 languages in over 50 different voices. "

I'm getting ready to purchase TomTom Navigator 6 with a Holux M-1000 GPS receiver for $159.99 here for anyone that is interested.

Yes, it does give spoken directions. However, it says turn right in 100 meters, instead of in 100 meters turn right on Main Street.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Hmmm...

That is the exact combo I have. I love it. I do wish it would say the street names we well. Oh well.
    Anyone familiar with this GPS receiver? It is a pretty good price....Will it work with TomTom?
    oops here is the link

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...7_EXPLORIST500 -_-EXPLORIST500product
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It should. TomTom will work with just about any BT GPSR you can connect to your Treo.
    guys whoever wants tomtom with north america or us and canada maps pm me... the only thing u need to do is go on ebay and buy the cheapest sirf III bt gps unit u see. and u'll be set
    o and also 1gb free on an sd card...
    I thought you could use the GPS feature on the treo 700wx with tomtom and would not need a gps device. Is that not true??
    There is no built-in gps for the 700wx. I know, it kinda makes you sad upon first realization, eh? But bluetooth gps devices are plentiful and cheap. I just purchased the Holux M1000. Fast, accurate, and plenty of battery life.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    skunkd,

What version of TomTom and what version of the maps do you have? I'm using TomTom 6 v6.030.8320 with the Teleatlas 675 build 1409 maps. Is that the latest version or has something newer been released? Thanks.

By the way, I just got a Holux M1000 to test out the functionality of TomTom and it's very impressive. If you drive at all, I highly recommend it! Feel free to PM me if anyone wants it.
    Supposedly the free Live Search program (Microsoft's version of Google Maps), when a GPS device is present, provides turn by turn directions with on the fly recalculation when of course.

Anyone try this feature with Live Search or can confirm?

Edit: From the HTC Touch vs iPhone comparison video over on WMExperts
    Last edited by dgoodisi; 08/23/2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: cited reference for rumor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    Supposedly the free Live Search program (Microsoft's version of Google Maps), when a GPS device is present, provides turn by turn directions with on the fly recalculation when of course.

Anyone try this feature with Live Search or can confirm?

Edit: From the HTC Touch vs iPhone comparison video over on WMExperts
    Live search when used with a gps will give turn by turn instructions at the bottom of the screen when you set it to track your gps location. It is written instructions though no voice responses. Also if you go off course it will flash a message asking if you are lost and ask if you would like to recalculate your route.
    I have been using it for about a month now on a Treo 700wx but have had a lot of lock ups and frequently need to close out of the program and reload it. I also use Google maps mobile and find it much more stable but prefer the way live search works if it only were less buggy.
    I would like to try Tom Tom 6 but am hesitant to spend that much without a taking a test run first. I don't think they have a trial version.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    davefred99,

I'm running TomTom 6 on a 700wx and did on a 700w before. It works great, very smooth, handles incoming calls while muting navigation prompts. The interface is mostly the same as that on the standalone units. I have some videos of various aspects of the TomTom ONE XL at http://www.brothersontech.com/product/tomtom-one-xl

It's basically the same thing except shrunk down to the smaller screen. Surprisingly though, the small screen doesn't seem to matter really. If you want me to video any particular aspect of TomTom running on my wx let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    nlowhor

Does the Tom Tom 6 Software have the ability to set how the navigation is displayed. In other words can you set it to track up always instead of just a fixed map with north always being up.
    I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop before and it can be configured this way and it really was nice. I always get confused when the map is upside down when traveling south using google maps or Live search.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Actually this was something I really wanted too, and they finally added it in TomTom 6. You can choose between north at top or direction at top when in 2D mode. 3D mode is always direction at top. Interestingly though it's not available on the the standalone TomTom ONE or ONE XL.

Quote Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
    nlowhor

Does the Tom Tom 6 Software have the ability to set how the navigation is displayed. In other words can you set it to track up always instead of just a fixed map with north always being up.
    I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop before and it can be configured this way and it really was nice. I always get confused when the map is upside down when traveling south using google maps or Live search.
    Dave