Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm thinking of getting tomtom nav 6 for my 750v

do i have to get a seperate gps receiver for tomtom to work
    Yes. I recommend TomTom 6 big time over Telenav or other options out there.

Here's a thread I posted in about the issues with Telenav, should apply to the 750, as well as the 755p and 700p.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145230

And here's the Bluetooth GPS receiver you want to get with the TomTom, its what I got and its incredible!!
    http://www.semsons.com/hogpwigpsres1.html
  3.    #3  
    my 750v has a gps icon in the settings....what is this for, does this mean it have gps built in.....
    TeleNav is great! Yeah it may lag a little more than TomTom or iGuidance, but IMHO that's a minor trade-off to not having to manage and maintain those huge map databases. That's just one less thing for me to forget.

Also, before my recent trip to Hawaii I discovered that iGuidance wouldn't let me load any other states map with the map of Hawaii. Of course TeleNav just downloads the maps as needed so no problem there. TeleNav worked flawless for me in Hawaii and everywhere else.
    I really loved iguidance's interface but they havent really released any map updates since 3.0. I like TomTom6 has all us and canada on the mem card, works great. What i like about TT and iguidance over Telenav is 1) no monthly fees 2) If your coverage area goes out on a trip or you take a call in a non-3g area your maps get delayed plus it can not adjust nearly as fast as TT or iguidance when missing a turn
    Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6600 (Sprint) >Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6700 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (sprint) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Motorola Q (Verizon) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > XV6700 (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Treo 700wx > Blackberry 8703e > Dash > HTC 3125 > Treo 700wx > Motorola Q > HTC Hermes 8525 > Blackberry 8800 > Blackberry Curve > Treo 750 > Ubiquio 503g > Iphone > Wing > TyTn II > Q9 Global > Tilt > Ubiquio 503g
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Yes you will need a BT GPS receiver. I use a Globalsat BT-338 with TomTom 6 and a Treo 750. The combination works great. If you want to store a complete map of the US (and therefore not have to manage maps) you should plan on a 2GB Mini-SD Card too.
    I had a few questions regarding the Tom Tom 6 with the Treo 750.

Do you notice a serious battery drain when using this? Videos I have seen with BT GPS shows the screen turning off (it was their power setting set for 2minutes or something I'm sure), so the person would constantly touch a button on the phone to wake the screen back up. Do you set your screen to not turn off or does the navigation software do this for you? Or is it that the map is interactive so there is constant operation going on so it tricks the phone to not turn the screen off?

How acurate is Tom Tom 6 in reference to distance? Ie will it say, turn right in 50ft and so on?

Does Tom Tom 6 also give speed indications and ETA of arrival time?

Can you hear the voice clearly? Do you have to have it dead quiet in your vehicle to be able to hear it?

I think that's it. Thanks!
    best bet is to grab one of those cradles on ebay for the windshield like $20 shipped. that include the charger built in. In the power settings you should see options for when on charger and when off. When on charger set it not to turn off.
    Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6600 (Sprint) >Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6700 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (sprint) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Motorola Q (Verizon) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > XV6700 (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Treo 700wx > Blackberry 8703e > Dash > HTC 3125 > Treo 700wx > Motorola Q > HTC Hermes 8525 > Blackberry 8800 > Blackberry Curve > Treo 750 > Ubiquio 503g > Iphone > Wing > TyTn II > Q9 Global > Tilt > Ubiquio 503g
    Anyone have this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-GPS-Re...QQcmdZViewItem Looks like it has built in BT GPS, charges and has a speaker for only $68. Seems good but was just curious of anyone has any experience with it. One down fall that comes to mind with this set up is if you hop in someone elses car you have to grab the cradle out of your car and set it up in someone elses. Do you have a recomendation for another windsheild cradle that charges? If so, could you please provide a link for it. I looked on Ebay but there is so much stuff to weed through that I wasn't really finding anything. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    Anyone have this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-GPS-Re...QQcmdZViewItem Looks like it has built in BT GPS, charges and has a speaker for only $68. Seems good but was just curious of anyone has any experience with it. One down fall that comes to mind with this set up is if you hop in someone elses car you have to grab the cradle out of your car and set it up in someone elses. Do you have a recomendation for another windsheild cradle that charges? If so, could you please provide a link for it. I looked on Ebay but there is so much stuff to weed through that I wasn't really finding anything. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    I would shy away from that. Reason being A) it says only works with palmos tomtom B) when you switch phones you need a whole new cradle. I suggest a charging cradle for around $20 shipped or a generic cradle that cna hold many types of phones , then just plug in your car charger. I personally bought this style:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8031&rd=1&rd=1
    Thanks for the link audiofx81, it looks pretty good. I'm going to see if I can find one that also has the speaker on it. Only reason I say that is because the speaker is on the back of the phone so when it's in the cradle, it may be difficult to hear the narrators voice for directions. Thanks for pointing the sofware compatiblity as well, I didn't catch that.
    Thanks for the link audiofx81, it looks pretty good. I'm going to see if I can find one that also has the speaker on it. Only reason I say that is because the speaker is on the back of the phone so when it's in the cradle, it may be difficult to hear the narrators voice for directions. Thanks for pointing the sofware compatiblity as well, I didn't catch that.
    Thanks for pointing out the speaker will be in the cradle. Mine should be arriving any day i will keep you posted on how it works. Maybe i can get a stereo headset and route it through a2dp :P. Or we could technically get a small adapter that can FM modulate the sound to go through car speakers. I think i will look into that, this way its compatible with multiple cars. I drive company cars and change them very often so hard-wiring anything is out of the question
    I had a few questions regarding the Tom Tom 6 with the Treo 750.

Do you notice a serious battery drain when using this? Videos I have seen with BT GPS shows the screen turning off (it was their power setting set for 2minutes or something I'm sure), so the person would constantly touch a button on the phone to wake the screen back up. Do you set your screen to not turn off or does the navigation software do this for you? Or is it that the map is interactive so there is constant operation going on so it tricks the phone to not turn the screen off?

How acurate is Tom Tom 6 in reference to distance? Ie will it say, turn right in 50ft and so on?

Does Tom Tom 6 also give speed indications and ETA of arrival time?

Can you hear the voice clearly? Do you have to have it dead quiet in your vehicle to be able to hear it?

I think that's it. Thanks!
    Screen stays on, or off, or only on when you want directions. I leave it on and its fine.

Distance is dead on, with yards (non-metric) though, maybe somehow I can set it to feet but I dont think so. Speed indicators and ETA are constantly adjusting and right on with the routes I've so far done with it. Very accurate. I think this is more due to the software than the GPS receiver because it sometimes predicts you turning before you even turn if your speed is high (as in braking really hard at a red light where you were going to turn left or right). But it quickly readjusts before you can notice it, unless you're watching the screen during this time of attention being needed on the road. The voice is VERY clear and LOUD!! You can hear it in a car with radio cranked.

Haven't gotten a call while I have been using the device because I only use the navigation when I'm in the car which is usually for a brief trip but when I do a longer trip I'll let you know.

TomTom is better because its alternate routes options are money and really work. I got to some construction and a road that normally would go thru was blocked, I said road block 100m or whatever (still not sure how the distances matter, if you see the alternate menu you'd know what I mean), but anyways it rerouted within 1.5 seconds and I was clear to go. Telenav would just get caught up on my EVDO connection and still give me a wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofx81 View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the speaker will be in the cradle. Mine should be arriving any day i will keep you posted on how it works. Maybe i can get a stereo headset and route it through a2dp :P. Or we could technically get a small adapter that can FM modulate the sound to go through car speakers. I think i will look into that, this way its compatible with multiple cars. I drive company cars and change them very often so hard-wiring anything is out of the question
    NO MAN!! The speaker on the phone sounds just fine with its back in a cradle, TomTom is way loud and doesnt sound muffled at all. You have to hear it to believe it. I was shocked Telenav sucked really hard in this regard.
    HI all,

I have a globalsat and Tomtom 6 installed in my treo 750v.
    When the phone is off, Tomtom does not work (it says flight mode).

When the phone is on, tomtom work greate.

Anyone has an idea how to let tomtom work when the phone is off.

thank you
    My guess is that Bluetooth is disabled when the phone is turned off and put into flight mode because technically you are not supposed to use bluetooth on airplanes. On my last flight I saw a guy using bluetooth headphones but the flight attendant told me I couldn't use mine (mine were quite a bit bigger and a blue light flashing so it was pretty obvious they were bluetooth). Just power your phone on and you will be good to go.
    audiofx81, I don't think the one you provided a link for has a speaker in it. I was saying that I would like to find a windsheild attaching cradle that charges and has a speaker on it. So far, no luck though. Let me know how the one you got works.
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    NO MAN!! The speaker on the phone sounds just fine with its back in a cradle, TomTom is way loud and doesnt sound muffled at all. You have to hear it to believe it. I was shocked Telenav sucked really hard in this regard.
    Awesome! Cant wait to try it out
    So far, the only one I have been able to find is this one by Seidio but at $109, not too sure http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=671 Maybe I'll just gamble and see if the phone speaker is loud enough by itself. I have a Trailblazer and like all Chevy's, there is a decent amount of road noise inside the cab.
    Can anyone give me a few ideas of what sites to check out for good prices on TomTom6?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast