Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I've read about problems with notifications of new messages using FlexMail 2007, both on these forums and on the official website.

    My problem is that I'm getting no notifications of new messages coming into my IMAP account, either using IDLE/push or plain syncs to the account. Flexmail does show the new messages count on its interface, but when it's in the background it doesn't show any alert, nor does PhoneAlarm detect new messages.

    After a brief email exchange with support, and after installing a new (unreleased?) build suggested by the tech support guys, the problem has been attributed to generic Windows Mobile 5 flaws by WebIS customer care. I don't buy that, as notifications from all other apps work fine, as well as notifications of new messages on my other POP account on Flexmail 2007.

    I think I've pinned down my problem to FlexMail being unable to fire notifications for new messages arriving in different folders on the IMAP account. It only seems to alert for messages being filed into the root 'inbox' folder. I feel confident that this isn't Fastmail.fm's (my email service) fault, as it worked fine on ChatterEmail for Palm.

    Is anyone else using a setup with FlexMail 2007 and an IMAP/IDLE account where new mail is filtered into different folders? Do notifications work for you?
  2. #2  
    Flexmail is the buggiest piece of software I have ever seen. Don't even bother with it, just give up, and move on.

    You'll be happier.
  3. #3  
    You have to enable it in the flexmail options (which are HUGE and very hard to sort through) as well as the Windows Mobile settings. Make sure you have done both
  4. #4  
    Sorry for a newbie question. Why do people use Flexmail? I've seen plenty of posts on Flexmail, but even after visiting WebIS website, I still do not know why Flexmail instead of standard email problem on PPC???
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNaik View Post
    Sorry for a newbie question. Why do people use Flexmail? I've seen plenty of posts on Flexmail, but even after visiting WebIS website, I still do not know why Flexmail instead of standard email problem on PPC???
    Pocket outlook lacks many options, it just doesn't do what a full featured client should do.

    Flexmail advertises options that pocket outlook does not. Unfortunately it is poorly coded, and its support team has horrible support. Even after providing detailed debugging information on their product, including full test cases (emails that CRASH their product) they seem to believe that they should not test things at their end.

    This, and its bugs, do not make it worth using. Do yourself a favour, walk away from Flexmail.
  6.    #6  
    Well, while my original post was about a bug, I must say that once I got around it, Flexmail 2007 s performing fine.

    Support wasn't stellar: it took me several emails, and finally, it was ME who suggested that it might be a problem such as the one I mentioned in the original post.

    Their reply? "Ah. That would make sense - yes, notifications only occur for new email within the Inbox itself. I apologize that we didn't think of asking about that earlier."

    Funny they did think about filing my problem into the "Windows Mobile 5 bug" folder in previous messages, though.

    So, to sum it up: if you automatically file incoming mail in your IMAP account into several folders, and not just the root INBOX, you won't get any notifications for it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by aside View Post
    Well, while my original post was about a bug, I must say that once I got around it, Flexmail 2007 s performing fine.
    For now.
  8. #8  
    Flexmail is a very nice piece of software. BBarnett must have had some flexmail problems in the past, as it appears he/she harbors ill feelings towards the software. Although not bug free (what product is?), its very solid, and works flawlessly on my phone. WebIS has worked very hard fixing many of the bugs that existed out there. i will take it + fastmail over any of the exchange server solutions out there, because I know that im getting all of my email in a timely matter.

    The problem of not being notified for imap idle, if its not in the root is a documented issue that WebIS has known about for months, so I am surprised they gave you the runaround. That was actually documented in their flexmail forums, but then they did away with that part of the forums altogether.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Flexmail is a very nice piece of software. BBarnett must have had some flexmail problems in the past, as it appears he/she harbors ill feelings towards the software. Although not bug free (what product is?), its very solid, and works flawlessly on my phone.
    Ill feelings towards the software? Not at all, who harbours ill feelings towards and inanimate object?

    I harbour ill feelings towards the developers and support staff that produce a poor product, don't fix the bugs, and provide poor techincal support.

    After all, working flawlessly for you, does not mean the product works flawlessly for all.. as we have seen in this (and many other) threads.

    The problem of not being notified for imap idle, if its not in the root is a documented issue that WebIS has known about for months, so I am surprised they gave you the runaround. That was actually documented in their flexmail forums, but then they did away with that part of the forums altogether.
    Of course WebIS has known about the problem for months, but you don't expect them to fix it, do you? Or even remember that there is a bug? Or document it? Or tell their developers, or their support staff?

    Of course their forum is gone, why would they want a forum of people complaining about bugs that they never intend to fix? Won't that hurt sales??
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNaik View Post
    Sorry for a newbie question. Why do people use Flexmail? I've seen plenty of posts on Flexmail, but even after visiting WebIS website, I still do not know why Flexmail instead of standard email problem on PPC???
    Imap Idle is the big one. Its basically an alternative to the windows push email solutions that in my mind is superior. Its more of a chattermail client for those used to the palm world.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Ill feelings towards the software? Not at all, who harbours ill feelings towards and inanimate object?

    I harbour ill feelings towards the developers and support staff that produce a poor product, don't fix the bugs, and provide poor techincal support.

    After all, working flawlessly for you, does not mean the product works flawlessly for all.. as we have seen in this (and many other) threads.
    As I stated, WebIS has been working to correct the bugs in the product, and have done a good job. When was the last time that you tried it anyway? Because if you arent going to try the latest version, you really shouldnt be slamming the current software as buggy as you have been.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Of course WebIS has known about the problem for months, but you don't expect them to fix it, do you? Or even remember that there is a bug? Or document it? Or tell their developers, or their support staff?

    Of course their forum is gone, why would they want a forum of people complaining about bugs that they never intend to fix? Won't that hurt sales??
    Well actually this technically isnt a bug, more of a missing feature. And it is documented, and I think it should be corrected in the near future. Oh and their forum isnt gone, just the individual program forums. There is still discussion of flexmail on their forums, although I do wish the individual forums were still there.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Of course WebIS has known about the problem for months, but you don't expect them to fix it, do you? Or even remember that there is a bug? Or document it? Or tell their developers, or their support staff?

    Of course their forum is gone, why would they want a forum of people complaining about bugs that they never intend to fix? Won't that hurt sales??
    Good point. The fact that this is actually a known issue is even more of a reason to complain.

    Tech support told me that:

    The problem most likely occurs within the OS itself since we've seen notifications stop working on Windows Mobile devices relatively frequently - even on devices with no third party software at all - for OS supplied notifications like appointment and task alarms, or with one of the above settings not set.
    ... without even asking me if other apps or system alerts worked. And please consider that this response didn't come from the entry-level support guys. My query had already been escalated at this point.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Well actually this technically isnt a bug, more of a missing feature. And it is documented, and I think it should be corrected in the near future.
    Could you please point me to this bug documentation? I don't mean to be nasty, but I'd like to find out if it's really accessible to end users who don't have the time to lurk in their forums...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    As I stated, WebIS has been working to correct the bugs in the product, and have done a good job. When was the last time that you tried it anyway? Because if you arent going to try the latest version, you really shouldnt be slamming the current software as buggy as you have been.
    WebIS is an extremely unprofessional, poorly run company.

    You've just pointed out above, how they should have known of an issue, but instead they waste people's time by being utterly and totally incompetent. I've had the same problem with their technical support. Others have. I don't see how they've changed.

    That being the case, why would I waste my time trying their product again? Why would I try a product produced by a company I've sworn to never support again? Do you suggest that the answer to being kicked in the teeth, is to throw your support behind the offender??
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    WebIS is an extremely unprofessional, poorly run company.

    You've just pointed out above, how they should have known of an issue, but instead they waste people's time by being utterly and totally incompetent. I've had the same problem with their technical support. Others have. I don't see how they've changed.

    That being the case, why would I waste my time trying their product again? Why would I try a product produced by a company I've sworn to never support again? Do you suggest that the answer to being kicked in the teeth, is to throw your support behind the offender??
    I don't disagree that you have the right not to use their products based on your past experiences. However pocket informant is probably the best selling PIM software out there and it is a solid product. Also you are slamming a piece of software, that granted was very buggy in the past, but has had alot of code rewrite, and works very well now. So I do take issue with your attempts to dissuade others from trying the product, especially since that product works well and provides a need that other developers have ignored
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    I don't disagree that you have the right not to use their products based on your past experiences. However pocket informant is probably the best selling PIM software out there and it is a solid product. Also you are slamming a piece of software, that granted was very buggy in the past, but has had alot of code rewrite, and works very well now. So I do take issue with your attempts to dissuade others from trying the product, especially since that products works well and provides a need that other developers have ignored
    Regardless of whether or not the software has improved significantly (which I doubt), the attitude of WebIS and its support staff should be enough to make anyone run in the opposite direction...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Regardless of whether or not the software has improved significantly (which I doubt), the attitude of WebIS and its support staff should be enough to make anyone run in the opposite direction...
    Just tried it (again) and the attitude is still there - the software, not so much.

    I still wonder what the value proposistion is for this software if you already use Activesync with Exchange? Is it merely IMAP support?

    They had a Today plug-in they promptly pulled because it was too buggy. Perhaps that will get me what I want (chatter for WM is what I really want).

    For now these guys are arrogant and have been pimping alpha software for over a year as production ready software and the fact that it now beta software doesn't make the software anymore valuable to me....not valuable enough to spend real money on it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Regardless of whether or not the software has improved significantly (which I doubt), the attitude of WebIS and its support staff should be enough to make anyone run in the opposite direction...
    Whatever... this is your previous quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    Flexmail advertises options that pocket outlook does not. Unfortunately it is poorly coded, and its support team has horrible support. Even after providing detailed debugging information on their product, including full test cases (emails that CRASH their product) they seem to believe that they should not test things at their end.

    This, and its bugs, do not make it worth using. Do yourself a favour, walk away from Flexmail
    Obviously you haven't tried the latest version, but are representing that you have due to your comments about poorly coded and buggy. I call you on that and you reveal your true agenda, that being a vendetta against WebIS.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Obviously you haven't tried the latest version, but are representing that you have due to your comments about poorly coded and buggy. I call you on that and you reveal your true agenda, that being a vendetta against WebIS.
    Ok but please, show us that the bug/missing feature this thread is about has been already documented for the end user to see. In other words, show us that WebIS has not been misleading end users on this.

    It's not my case, but I guess this bug (I'll keep my original word for it) might be a showstopper for people who would otherwise buy FlexMail 2007.

    I think prospective buyer should have a right to know about this, especially since it's not something that would necessarily come up during the trial period. Suppose, for example, that I have just one account right now. I run my trial, I'm satisfied, I buy FlexMail. Then I add a second mail account which forwards mail to the first IMAP account, and I want that mail to be stored in a separate folder. No notifications on that new mail? And please remember this doesn't only happen with IMAP IDLE notifications, but with all kinds of accounts.

    I just hope that this thread makes a good position on Google...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aside View Post
    Could you please point me to this bug documentation? I don't mean to be nasty, but I'd like to find out if it's really accessible to end users who don't have the time to lurk in their forums...
    Well the forums is where it was documented, sorry, and they unfortunately got rid of the forums where that information was located. A friend of mine had the same issue, however. I didn't care at the time since all of mine were going to root folder anyway. I hope that is an issue that is addressed in Rev 3 due out soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions