Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yup, it works via that method.

Can't say I'm really impressed though...maybe I'm missing something?
    It's meant for flip phones, not really smartphones. But the web pages load quickly, and it has a deepfish-type interface when loading the page. I'm interested to see how full-functioning it really is though (logging on to websites, etc)

PS- Check out the full working demo on their site.
    Last edited by Pattycerts; 06/19/2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    One not mentioned so far is MiniMo - a version of Mozilla, but by all accounts it is a train-wreck on the 700W and WX. Might work OK on some of the HP PPCs though?

Deepfish is nice-looking, but everything goes via an MS intermediate server that renders the pages, so its a bit slow. I found it to work OK at first, but after about 5 min. of browsing (3-4 links) it would lock-up. Probably a caching issue.

If you're going to use PIE, there are a couple of things to make it better... one is PIEplus, which adds tabs and a couple other things. Another is to hack your connection settings to use a better DNS (e.g. openDNS). A thirs thing it to use a reg tweaking program to make PIE appear as IE6 - this makes certain websites run better (like online banking sites that require minimum IE6 for security purposes).
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    One not mentioned so far is MiniMo - a version of Mozilla, but by all accounts it is a train-wreck on the 700W and WX. Might work OK on some of the HP PPCs though?

Deepfish is nice-looking, but everything goes via an MS intermediate server that renders the pages, so its a bit slow. I found it to work OK at first, but after about 5 min. of browsing (3-4 links) it would lock-up. Probably a caching issue.

If you're going to use PIE, there are a couple of things to make it better... one is PIEplus, which adds tabs and a couple other things. Another is to hack your connection settings to use a better DNS (e.g. openDNS). A thirs thing it to use a reg tweaking program to make PIE appear as IE6 - this makes certain websites run better (like online banking sites that require minimum IE6 for security purposes).
    I liek PIE plus also. Enables finger-scrolling, and also makes it appear as IE 6.0 like you said if you enable it
    Another good one is Southway's MulitIE 4.0.

It's like PIE+ but about 200kb smaller, has simplier menus and is a bit more streamlined. PIE+ I think has slightly more features but for me at least, MultiIE is a bit more efficient.

Deepfish is mostly novelty. It's a nice secondary way to view the web, but not as primary.

I somewhat disagree about Opera Mini being for flip phones as they have a Palm and BB version as well. Certainly it's not meant for WM but others here swear by it though I'm not sure why, I don't fine load times better.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I somewhat disagree about Opera Mini being for flip phones as they have a Palm and BB version as well. Certainly it's not meant for WM but others here swear by it though I'm not sure why, I don't fine load times better.
    My brother-in-law did a test last week. Two 750s side by side. One running OperaMini, the other running PIE. We went to treo.treocentral.com and both were about the same. Then we went to www.espn.com and OperaMini was done before PIE had anything significant to show.

OM makes a HUGE difference on real sites. It makes browsing the web on a mobile device fun.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    My brother-in-law did a test last week. Two 750s side by side. One running OperaMini, the other running PIE. We went to treo.treocentral.com and both were about the same. Then we went to www.espn.com and OperaMini was done before PIE had anything significant to show.

OM makes a HUGE difference on real sites. It makes browsing the web on a mobile device fun.
    I mean that makes total sense since OM filters all through their Proxy servers, but I just found the way it looked unappealing, like I said unless I'm missing something (in settings)?

Someone should post side-by-side screens shots of say something like CNN or ESPN on

a) Deepfish (zoomed)
    b) Opera Mini
    c) Opera Mobile
    d) Netfront
    e) PIE (w/ or w/o tabbed plugins)

That's be a nice review for noobs and us old-timers...

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I have to say i am blown away by Opera Mini version 4 (beta), released very very recently. And trust me when I say this because i always HATED the other versions (or any JAVA based thing, for that matter).

Seriously, google it. It resembles the safari browser on the iPhone.
    Opera doesn't really have a Palm version -- it's still a J2ME app, just wrapped in a PRC to make it easier to launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    Seriously, google it. It resembles the safari browser on the iPhone.
    Well, on WM5 via Java it looked like **** when I tried it, no need to Google. Maybe it's awesome on a RAZR but that's besides the point...

i can't seem to be able to install Opera Mini. I have the ibm thingy. Can someone post links to the java program needed to run OM? thanks.
    Different POV, I guess. When I first saw it, I was amazed. Then I thought of how it COULD look on a 320x320 800w and started wishing for September to arrive. Then it crashed.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12