Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I am about one (1) week into my 30 day window for trying out the 700wx through Verizon. I am finding that my 700wx is freezing up more than I expected it would. I have been installing/uninstalling various today plugins so it could certainly be me causing the crashes.

For those of you who have had the 700wx for a while, how stable to you find it to be? Are there certain plugins or software that you stay away from? Do you encounter regular crashes or freezing?

I still have about three (3) weeks to return the 700wx and my only other alternative is the Blackberry 8830. I really like the 700wx in many ways but I need a phone that is not going to crash on me. Just trying to find out how stable others have found it to be.

Thank you for any feedback!

- dtg
    I've had it for about 2 wks and it's been amazingly stable. I had a Tmobile MDA and it kept freezing up on me.

Now I only have a few simple things on the today screen and I've had only 1 freeze up and that was while downloading Opera mini???

When installing new programs, do it one at a time and see if it causes any issues. That way you know which program makes it freeze up.
    I love my WX, the only issue I have is the data connection, but it is a work in progress, so I am crossing my fingers on that. I find it quite stable, but I know what you mean about the freezing. I have two suggestions for that...one would be to do a soft reset every day, maybe at work if you turn your phone off, or at night...it only takes a minute, and it will (for the most part) avoid those feeze-ups. My second suggestion maybe should have come first....I would recomend you install am app (if you haven't already) like magicbutton (free!!), or a Today plug-in like PocketPlus that show memory usage, and include a real close button. One of the biggest freeze causes are that apps are not truly closed in the native WM5 OS.

As far as apps to stay away from, I would just say stick with the forums, or the true PPC software sites. The only things I watch for are large memory usage, or apps not made for 240x240...some work, but others are a mess!

If you want app suggestions, or advice, feel free to ask, or IM me, I have a lot of info, I just don't want to babble on here!!! LOL
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I run MemMaid once every day, and I seldom experience that type of problem.

I have found the Treo 700wx to be very stable.
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, Florida

My first Treo (the 180)
    I have had my Sprint 700wx since November and it has been the most stable Treo I have owned (600, 650, 700p). I don't remember the specific apps, but I have had issues in the past. The important thing is to make regular backups, so you can go back if you install an app that hoses your Treo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am about one (1) week into my 30 day window for trying out the 700wx through Verizon. I am finding that my 700wx is freezing up more than I expected it would. I have been installing/uninstalling various today plugins so it could certainly be me causing the crashes.

For those of you who have had the 700wx for a while, how stable to you find it to be? Are there certain plugins or software that you stay away from? Do you encounter regular crashes or freezing?

I still have about three (3) weeks to return the 700wx and my only other alternative is the Blackberry 8830. I really like the 700wx in many ways but I need a phone that is not going to crash on me. Just trying to find out how stable others have found it to be.

Thank you for any feedback!

- dtg
    Stay away from third party apps... they kill palm devices. I've owned a palm since the 90's and I don't care what anyone says... third party apps are great, but they are also killers.

My motto: less is better. Outside of what shipped with the phone, I installed google maps, sprite backup, and pdanet. Phone has not ever locked up or reboot (unless I told it to). I've had my phone for six months....

All those stupid plugins are killing your phone.... use the generic BS screen, then get a stable device.

I did try a weather app, and some other apps... that was a big mistake.... uninstalled those POS apps. I'm sure there are some quality apps out there, but I'd be darn if I'm in a big hurry to find 'em.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. 2sa
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Stay away from third party apps... they kill palm devices. I've owned a palm since the 90's and I don't care what anyone says... third party apps are great, but they are also killers.

My motto: less is better. Outside of what shipped with the phone, I installed google maps, sprite backup, and pdanet. Phone has not ever locked up or reboot (unless I told it to). I've had my phone for six months....

All those stupid plugins are killing your phone.... use the generic BS screen, then get a stable device.

I did try a weather app, and some other apps... that was a big mistake.... uninstalled those POS apps. I'm sure there are some quality apps out there, but I'd be darn if I'm in a big hurry to find 'em.
    LOL....if keeping your phone in stock form is such a concern, why do you have >200 posts on this forum?
    Device: 700wx,4G SD Card
    Service: VZW

When I get my PPC just the way I want it.....what happens next?
    I am also about 3 weeks into my Treo 700WX and I am enjoying it very much. I try to keep my applications to a minimum. I am running a 3rd party encryption app (required by my company) and resco Explorer 2007, Weather panel, TCPMP, SiriusWM5. I also make sure I soft reset once a day, although I find myself doing it a lot more since I am always testing. I guess I could call myself an expert, since I support over 100 Treos in my workplace. Stay light and soft reset.... you will be alright. oh, and like someone said earlier, watch your screen resolution on the apps you are installing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sa View Post
    LOL....if keeping your phone in stock form is such a concern, why do you have >200 posts on this forum?
    You can load it up as much as you want.... just don't biotch when it starts having issues.

I was simply giving my ideas on the device after owning it for six months... when I started loading a bunch of crap on it, I had issues. Took off the crap and no issues.

I don't need to hire a consultant to tell me what was happening there....

And you can still do a lot with the device without loading a bunch of BS apps... plus, answering posts from people with issues can take many posts... normally we ALWAYS start with, "Remove each app, until you find the issue." Ever wonder why that is a standard reply? lol.....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    sbp pocket plus has worked pretty good on my today screen.
    most of those Today screen plug ins are killers - they tend to bog down the device, and here's why:

Palm made a bunch of changes to the base Today screen - they customized it. Then, when you add in those other Today screen plug ins like Pocket Plus or Pocket Informant (the list goes on and on), I've found that those plug ins don't work well, with the custom Palm Today screen. Yes, there may be some exceptions, but generally, - no good.

And your original post said it all - you've installed some of those plug ins, and you've been having problems. So - get rid of 'em!!!
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint 700wx since release day...

I have never had a more stable device. And I have loaded it with 3rd party apps, I have removed some apps, installed some more, uninstalled them again, and then reinstalled them on the SD card. My point? This device could not be more stable...

Heck, I have only performed a hard reset once... and it was because I was not aware of apps like MemMaid or SK Tools that can clean the registry.

I run PhoneAlarm, WeatherPanel, WP-Pilot, NewsBreak, eWallet, Agenda One, Live Search, Google Maps, SlingPlayer, KeyLight, Palringo, Resco Explorer (w/registry and FTP), MusicID song recognition app, POP3 accounts, mail2web push... and that's only what I can remember off the top of my head.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and find it much more stable than me 6700 was. I too am running quite the selection of 3rd party apps (some in main memory, many off of the SD card).

Apps I'm running:
    Pocket Informant
    Flex Wallet
    List Pro
    Picsel Browser
    Opera
    Insight
    A Threaded SMS app
    Total Commander
    Memmaid
    Sprite Backup
    Sprite Mobile Swipe
    Regeditor
    iGuidance
    Beeline GPS
    ubook
    Pocket Bible
    Olive Tree's Bible Reader
    eReader
    Mobipocket
    iSilo
    PhoneWeaver
    PocketBreeze
    iLauncher
    PocketWeather
    Insight

If 3rd party apps are your problem, perhaps you need to look into a better quality 3rd party app. Sometimes you DO get what you paid for.
    Pilot 1000>Palm Pilot>Palm IIIx>Visor Prism>Toshiba e310>Toshiba e740>PPC-6700>Treo 700wx
    <a href="http://www.xianfox.com">xianfox.com</a>
    I agree with those confirming the rock solid stability of the Treo WX. I run a wide assortment of apps, most recently Tom Tom 6 and I almost never have any issues of locking up. Sure, maybe now and again, but overall, this device is solid.
    I've also had it for about 2 weeks, and it's been great. I think I need to hard reset because it's acting funny, but I probably should have done that after installing some not-so-great apps last week. However, I don't ever soft reset, unless I choose to, and the phone's been so much better than the 6700 I had a while back.
    I've had my treo 700wx since release and it is by far one of the most stable PDA's that I have owned. My only real complaint is the worthless bluetooth for headsets. If you don't have the problem yet, you will, and that is the constant drop out or misdirecting of the audio. Palm refuses to even admit that there is a problem with it, but just search the forums and you will find pages of discussions about it.

With regards to stability, the only thing that I see that has and does cause the 700wx to act strange is today screen plugins. Mine is loaded with 3rd party software, but NO today screen plugins and I do not have any issues with freezing, rebooting, acting slow, or strange behavior. I do have a auto reset program that reboots the treo every morning before I start my day, and that is mainly to keep the bloody bluetooth headset working somewhat normally.

RF performance is superior (Sprint) I have been able to make and hold calls deep into the sub-basement of buildings, often with 0 bars showing.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papuga View Post
    ...With regards to stability, the only thing that I see that has and does cause the 700wx to act strange is today screen plugins. Mine is loaded with 3rd party software, but NO today screen plugins and I do not have any issues with freezing, rebooting, acting slow, or strange behavior...
    That's odd because on my Today screen I use the hidelogo plugin, phoneAlarm, WeatherPanel, WP-Pilot, TodayAgenda, iLauncher and the NewsBreak plugin.

I have also used in the past Today plugins such as Spb Mobile Shell, and others. This has not given me any issues...
    Today screen plug ins;

Mobile Shell
    Pocket Plus
    SPB Diary
    IM plus
    Date/time cab

No stability issues whatsoever.

Rememeber, any today screen apps must be installed on internal memory.