1.    #1  
    Now that the 700p updater is out, has anyone managed to strip it of its ROM cooker and start going to town on custom ROMs for the 700wx?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  2.    #2  
    I guess I'll take that as a no...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I know they are trying over at PPCGeeks, I hooked one of the members up with the ROM update for the W, but they have not been able to crack Palm's funky ROM yet.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Now that the 700p updater is out, has anyone managed to strip it of its ROM cooker and start going to town on custom ROMs for the 700wx?
    That would be like saying, "Now that there's an update for the latest MacOS, can someone use that to update Windows?"

Apples and oranges... nothing that happens to the software on a 700p will make a bit of difference as to what happens on a 700w or 700wx.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    The part he is talking about is the ROM flash updater that comes with the 700p update. Without the updater, a custom ROM would be useless because you couldn't flash it over.

Since the 700p and 700w/wx hardware is virtually identical, the loader should be able to upload a custom rom on the 700w/wx (if one was available).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Ah, of course. My fault for not reading between the lines. Apologies to the OP.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan View Post
    Ah, of course. My fault for not reading between the lines. Apologies to the OP.
    No problem, Jonahan. I suppose I should have made my post a little more clear. Stroths has got the idea.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Is the 700wx compatable enough to be change to a 700p?
    I just purchased a 700p, returned it for a 700wx and I really like the Palm OS and UI but not the current problems with it. I'm willing to keep the 700wx but would like to get a palm "sex change" if possible.
    Comment?

Treo 180> 600>700p>700wx
    tommywilson, the screen on the wx is physically limited to 240x240 while the 700p is 320x320. It may be possible to flash WM5 or WM6 one day on a 700p, but you wouldn't want to go the other way due to the screen limitations.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  11.    #11  
    So... Now we have multiple updaters available. Does anyone know of any custom ROM work going on?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

So... Now we have multiple updaters available. Does anyone know of any custom ROM work going on?
    Good point.

Unfortunately, I'm not good at doing this and I took insurance off my device, so I'm not too keen on testing...

But here is thread at ppcgeeks: link

Maybe contact Alias and see if he can get this going again? It seems he got pretty far (he did a Sprint --> Verizon switch)...

I'll bump that thread to get some people's attention.

Edit: Here is a link to getting into Verizon's ROM. Not sure how helpful this will be...

Wideawake said this: "But I did try and break it down to a dump folder and I personally didnt have any success."

We need to be able to dump the ROM to customize it...so we need that 1st.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/30/2007 at 04:28 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  13.    #13  
    Well I've never done it before but if one tells me how to dump my ROM I'd be glad to give it a shot. I've got the 1.15 ROM installed now, though, so it'd be the same thing coming out of the Sprint updater, yes?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Well I've never done it before but if one tells me how to dump my ROM I'd be glad to give it a shot. I've got the 1.15 ROM installed now, though, so it'd be the same thing coming out of the Sprint updater, yes?
    I think you can dump from the install files, which is what wideawake was trying, or from the device itself.

I'm not good at this whole ROM dumping thing, so we'll need some people at ppcgeeks/xda to assist.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Where can I get the Verizon 1.22 update? It's been pulled from Palm's site. I did a search but could only find news releases saying it was available for download (before it was pulled)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think you can dump from the install files, which is what wideawake was trying, or from the device itself.

I'm not good at this whole ROM dumping thing, so we'll need some people at ppcgeeks/xda to assist.
    Link me to the PPCGeeks thread, if you could. I'm feeling lazy... ;-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    Where can I get the Verizon 1.22 update? It's been pulled from Palm's site. I did a search but could only find news releases saying it was available for download (before it was pulled)
    I don't know if anyone has got it right now. However, with the bugs that ROM caused, I'd hold off anyway.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Link me to the PPCGeeks thread, if you could. I'm feeling lazy... ;-)
    lol, see post #12 above. All links there...

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, see post #12 above. All links there...
    Doh!

*hangs his head in shame*
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G