Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Forcing you to hide it? It shouldn't be out in the first place during take off
    I shouldn't have to put it away for fear it will vibrate or beep or blink. There is nothing in any regulation that says you can't hold a phone or PDA in your hand while during take-off. Kinda' my point to begin with - just let me turn it off or put it to sleep in a manner that will not allow the press of a button to do anything! I agree with many of the posts that say, it's not that big a deal. I'll also maintain it's not that big a deal to do what I *finally* recommended above, in bold.

These days every flight attendant has seen PDA phones at least 10,000 times soi's not a mysterious thing that they won't understand.
    You must be flying a different airlines.

So there is no misunderstanding of my views, I don't agree with many of the airline 'policies' (uneveleny applied subjective measures taken by flight crew) and don't understand some of the FAA regulations. I just try to follow them as best I can while I travel. Here's a nice headline from today's NY Times:

U.S. Will Allow Most Types of Lighters on Planes
    Aviation authorities concluded that it was a waste of time to search for the lighters before passengers boarded.

And, how about removing the metal knives in First Class that were not as sharp as the metal forks they kept and wouldn't even cut the meat they serve? I'll refrain from using the "I" word already used a few times in this thread...I will also refrain from beating this long deceased horse an longer. The entertainment value has long since expired...[/RANT]

Maybe I'll next post my 'customer service' experience with AT&T. Now that's entertainment.
  2. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Since we're into the semantics of what 'off' means... how about this.

Many of you have pointed out that if you hold the power button down on HTC devices, it will power down completely.

I disagree. If it's not a hard switch that is physically disconnecting the device from the battery, then it's still not off. Power must still be running through the electronics of the device, "watching" for you pressing the power button, to turn back on.

So... with HTC devices, the flash memory may not be powered, but it could still be considered "on" by some of your definitions.

That's what we're really arguing about - whether the flash memory is powered or not. No, flash memory does not cause interference.

iPods are always on by your definitions (even with the display off and HOLD switch flipped) if it's been used in the last 14 hours (then it goes into deep sleep).
    No, the HTC devices do turn off.

Not that I care, to me airplane mode is sufficient and I would not cater to any requests otherwise. Strictly out of principle.
  4. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    No, the HTC devices do turn off.
    The HTC off button is not a hard switch - it's a button. That means that it must consume some power to watch the status of that button to figure out if you're pressing it! Therefore, one could say it's never really off either.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkx View Post
    The HTC off button is not a hard switch - it's a button. That means that it must consume some power to watch the status of that button to figure out if you're pressing it! Therefore, one could say it's never really off either.
    You are correct... for any button other than a hard switch.. to work, there must be power...

When your TV is OFF.. it is still on. The circuit to respond to the power button must remain on to work at all..
    I know that a device cannot completely power down without taking the battery out but I still wish the treo had power button to shut off all functions except watching for the power-on button push. It has been an issue in the past that you would turn the radio off with the battery at, say 70% and then say 10 hours later you power the phone on and your battery is at 55% because some program got stuck in a loop and used up the juice. Other WM devices have a power button that would prevent this. So with my treo everyday before my shift in the ER I removed the battery, that is a "rigged way" to power off a device IMHO.
    The point is the processor and memory are not being powered unlike if it were on. That soft switch is connected to a hardware interrupt which means there only needs to be enough power to monitor that switch (extremely little.)
    Semantecs isn't the point. I believe the point was having it behave as if it were off, not using significant power, and not doing things you don't want it to do.
    Turn the phone radio off.

Turn the speaker off.

Put the Treo in your pocket or somewhere else that it can't be seen until you're allowed to use electronic devices.

Try REALLY hard not to look like a nervous terrorist because, OH MY GOD I HAVE AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE THAT ISN'T COMPLETELY OFF. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!.

Make sure your seat is in its full upright position and your tray is locked.

Thank you for flying Paranoid Express Airlines.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Very dramatic, but this has nothing to do with terrorism. It has to do with ignorant flight attendants harassing you unnecessarily.
    They can't harass you if your Treo is in your pocket, unless you have a very friendly flight attendant.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12