Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I have been reading many threads from this site as well as other trying to find a consensus on what is necessary to use the 700wx as a Bluetooth DUN connection to a laptop.

Currently I use my bluetooth phone (non-PDA) as a Bluetooth DUN connection for my laptop (Vista and XP) as well as my Pocket PC (Dell Axim x51v). I do not use any extra software such as VZAccess Manager. In order for this to work I did need to subscribe to the VZW tethering option. This costs $15/month in addition to my normal unlimited data plan. I am able to connect at EVDO speeds consistently.

With the 700wx can I do the same thing? Some people talk about using PdaNet while other mention using VZAccess manager. Other mention they cannot get it to work at all. So in an effort to reconcile all of this I wanted to ask a few questions and was hoping people could help clarify the issue.

1. Does the 700wx, on Verizon Wireless, require the use of a third party program, such as VZAccess Manager or PdaNet for a Bluetooth DUN connection to a laptop?

2. Is the PdaNet option only used if someone does not want to pay the $15/month tethering fee?

Thank you very much for your time!

- dtg
    I'm using a 700wx from Verizon -> laptop to write this. I actually just got an email from Verizon asking if I wanted to pay the $15 for the usb/VZAccess Manager, but I thought I'd try the bluetooth connection first. Works great - turned on bluetooth, paired it with my laptop, created a DUN connection for it. Took all of 3 minutes to do.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I just activated the "tethering" option on my VZW plan (also known as Broad Band Access). I paired my 700wx with my Vista laptop without issue and it picked up the DUN profile. I entered in the correct settings (#777, etc ...) but the connection fails each time on "verifying username and password".

I used the exact same laptop to tether with my previous phone (u740) via Bluetooth and it worked fine without any issues (also on VZW but a different line).

I am wondering if it takes some time for the flag that allows tethering to become active.

- dtg
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    1. Does the 700wx, on Verizon Wireless, require the use of a third party program, such as VZAccess Manager or PdaNet for a Bluetooth DUN connection to a laptop?

2. Is the PdaNet option only used if someone does not want to pay the $15/month tethering fee?
    1) No. 2) No.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    1) No. 2) No.
    Care to elaborate? How did you setup Bluetooth DUN? Do you have the tethering option?

- dtg
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    Care to elaborate? How did you setup Bluetooth DUN? Do you have the tethering option?

- dtg
    1) I put my Laptop and my Treo into the Discovery mode, paired them, and then connected via DUN.

2) Yes, I have the tethering option.

-Frank