Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Ever since my Treo 750 started showing ATT as the network, instead of Cingular, my Treo's batteries drains daily and I have to keep my AC charger cord with me at work. I do not consider myself a power user. Before I I used to be able to go 2 days, and sometimes 3 days without needing a charge the phone, and now it can not even last 16 hours without dying.

My monthly use:
    Less than 250 minutes
    Less than 300 text messages
    Less than 10MB of data

I am now carrying my Cingular 3125 as a backup if my Treo 750 dies.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Hmmm, that's really odd. Ive been on the new AT&T for a while(about 1 month or so) & I havent noticed any drastic battery drain. Although, when I first got the phone, the 750 used to die on me and not last a full day. I guess now the battery has been charged and discharged many times, its as if it were "broken" in and lasts a full day. This is my approx usage in one day: 90-120 min talk time, 25 text msgs, 1-1.5 hrs email,surfing the net(On HSDPA), bluetooth on the whole time, and I pull it off the charger @ 8am and dont start charging it again untill about 12-1am(About 17hrs w/o charging it once. Im left with about 40% before I start charging it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREO1027 View Post
    Hmmm, that's really odd. Ive been on the new AT&T for a while(about 1 month or so) & I havent noticed any drastic battery drain. Although, when I first got the phone, the 750 used to die on me and not last a full day. I guess now the battery has been charged and discharged many times, its as if it were "broken" in and lasts a full day. This is my approx usage in one day: 90-120 min talk time, 25 text msgs, 1-1.5 hrs email,surfing the net(On HSDPA), bluetooth on the whole time, and I pull it off the charger @ 8am and dont start charging it again untill about 12-1am(About 17hrs w/o charging it once. Im left with about 40% before I start charging it again.

that is realy good, i take my phone off charge at around 8am and dont get home until 5pm. my batter is aat 30% left. i have my email being pushed every hour (the max i can do) and i dont talk on it at all during those hours
    Try setting the band selection to "GSM ONLY," that should greatly increase your battery life.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have noticed throughout the day today, that there is always a box with a U in it on the top title bar. I am guessing it may be continuously keeping a data connection. Even after I soft reset the phone, or take the battery off to put the SIM card in my other phone.

Does the GSM ONLY band setting hurt my data download speeds?
    Where do I change this setting?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    The U indicates a 3G area or if you have the HSDPA hack enabled. The GSM only band selection will not give you HSDPA speeds or anything near that, so yes it will hurt your d/l speed.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
    I have noticed throughout the day today, that there is always a box with a U in it on the top title bar. I am guessing it may be continuously keeping a data connection. Even after I soft reset the phone, or take the battery off to put the SIM card in my other phone.

Does the GSM ONLY band setting hurt my data download speeds?
    Where do I change this setting?

My phone automatically gets my work email and appointments instantly all day, and I make about half a dozen calls, plus checking email on my Google account a few times a day. I leave Bluetooth enabled. The phone is about 90% charged when I get to work, and typically about 70% charged when I leave roughly 9 hours later. HOWEVER, on some occasions it will drain the battery completly in under 8 hours; this appears to be due to some application, because whenever this happens, the problem goes away after a reset.

Take a look at the memory manager and see what programs you're running - that might give us a clue.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Your phone may be dropping/changing its data connections frequently which would cause it to use more power. Don't know how to fix that since it could be you are in a fringe area, or it could be something wrong with a sim card or the phone itself. I would call AT&T and complain. Force them to resolve it, whcih may lead to a replacement phone.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    Your phone may be dropping/changing its data connections frequently which would cause it to use more power. Don't know how to fix that since it could be you are in a fringe area, or it could be something wrong with a sim card or the phone itself. I would call AT&T and complain. Force them to resolve it, whcih may lead to a replacement phone.
    +1 I agree. If your device changes from GPRS to 3G constantly that may have an adverse effect on your battery life. Do you have a program to manage your "active" programs that may be running in the background? If not you should get something like Magic Button(which I use and its great). @nd I agree with jwebb56, if that doesnt resolve your issue, you should call AT&T and force them to resolve the issue.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I clear the running programs from memory every night when I go to bed. I think the issue was related to my text message app. It is the built in app, but I keep the chat logs on the phone for a while. The log for the chat history for my girlfriend was pretty big, and it would takes seconds to open. Now that I clear out my TM chat logs every few days it has gotten better.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I don't know if this interests you at all but you can get a replacement battery for $6. Might be worth it to have an extra charged battery on hand.

http://dealnews.com/deals/Palm-Treo-...-6/172268.html
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I need to wake this thread back up. I Thought the initial post was crazy until I started using my phone more. I am one to use two batteries and I had to cycle through them 4 times today. I usually had to use one battery per day and replaced the other battery the next morning. What gives? Is there something that the ATT switch has done technically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Try setting the band selection to "GSM ONLY," that should greatly increase your battery life.
    Did you at least try this yet? You can turn on 3G when you need it (which is very rare, unless you use slingbox or download incredibly large files) and battery life is a million times better
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    I need to wake this thread back up. I Thought the initial post was crazy until I started using my phone more. I am one to use two batteries and I had to cycle through them 4 times today. I usually had to use one battery per day and replaced the other battery the next morning. What gives? Is there something that the ATT switch has done technically?
    I live pretty close to Miami Beach & Im getting by the whole day with just one battery. I admit Im not a huuge power user(100 text msgs/day, 3 hrs internet surfing, 1-3 hr phone calls/day) but I do use the phone quite extensively. In fact my last bill came for 115,987kb, thank goodness Im on the unlimmited data plan
    The first month I had my 750 the battery would die everyday from normal usage. Recently I was dropping a lot of calls and the conversation wouldn't be as crisp. So I switched the phone's network to GSM. Now no more drop calls and since I've switched it, my phone hasn't needed to be charge the last three days.
    Last edited by nismoguy126; 06/27/2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Does GSM change much in how the phone works at all? Slower pic messages?
    All types of data transfer (including pics) are slower, but worth the increase in battery life IMHO.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    With a GSM connection, an incoming call will disconnect data.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    With a GSM connection, an incoming call will disconnect data.
    That's what I thought. Unfortunately it's not true - at least not true for my Treo 750 on AT&T.

The test I did was to force the band to GSM. I launched Windows Media Player and started to stream a internet-based radio station. I called myself from a landline and the call went to voice mail every time. The call would go thru after I switched the band to "Auto" (i.e. UMTS for my area).
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I just tried the same using Resco Radio and the phone call came through right away.

Treo 750 on At&T
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast