1.    #1  
    To all-

I currently have a T650 that I need to replace (I am w/ Cingular and Happy).

Which means I have two choices: T680 or T750.

I have been a Palm OS user for 8 years or so but seeing as though I am at the cross roads and generlly williing to go either way...I am looking for those of you with similar experiences to give me the benefit of your wisdom. So fire away and tell me why I should chose one treo over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Skigs
    680= simple, quick, easy
    750= complex, not as quick (but certainly not slow), and a week to get used to.

Pro 750:
    I wholeheartedly believe you can do much more with WM. 680 users may disagree, but I came from the 650 and haven't looked back once.

Pro 680:
    Many friends of mine tried WM and went back to Palm. WM was too complex for them, they only cared about PIM apps, phone, and a little web surfing. Nothing major. Can't be bothered with all that, especially on their cell phone. IN MY EXPERIENCES, this is the main reason they regretted getting the w. I myself had no such issues, and love WM.

Thats the best, short answer I can give you. Search and do a lot of reading, because there really is no quick answer...
    I went from Windows Mobile to PALM OS when I went to the 650. Now I only had a Windows Mobile Smartphone (not PPC) but I felt pain going to the Palm OS even then.

I did get used to the 650, the form factor is amazing and my favorite and I have only had Treo's since (with just a 30 day break with a Moto Q).

Personally, I love the WM software on my 750, I would not go back to the PALM OS at all unless it was my only choice. WM has so much more potential right now in my opinion. Granted I haven't used the latest 755p or 700p but I am very happy with my 750 and haven't looked back since I went from the 650 to the 700w.

One thing that is awesome about the WM 750 is NO resets. My 650 used to reset several times a day at times, I have never had a SINGLE auto reset on my 750 (or 700w). Occasionally (1x per month) I may manually reset if there is some network issue bogging the phone down, but IMO WM5 is a very solid OS.

Only downside is the screen resolution, but you get used to it :-)
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Does 3G data mean anything to you? If so, the 750 is your only choice in the Treo form factor, unless you want to jump ship to Verizon or Sprint.

I quite like the 750. I've been a Palm user since the 180g days, with some other devices thrown in there from time to time, but always end up back with a Treo. I'm not a big fan of WM, but it does well enough. I still perfer the ease of use and speed of the Palm OS, but it's really a dead product. I can't wait for the Linux-based Treo, if and when it comes out.

I will agree with seaflipper about the resets, but not exactly. My 750 has never unexpected reset, but I do have to reset it every couple of days because IE stops working. All it does it bring up a blank white screen and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fix it except reset the phone.

Lastly, do you have any money invested in Palm OS applications. If you've spent some serious cash on those apps, you may want to get a 680 so you can continue to use them.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97 View Post
    I will agree with seaflipper about the resets, but not exactly. My 750 has never unexpected reset, but I do have to reset it every couple of days because IE stops working. All it does it bring up a blank white screen and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fix it except reset the phone.
    Joe
    Good point about IE, that is true. I have had that happen before too, although I don't use my phone for anything other than email/phone. I am not a heavy Pocket IE user so it hasn't bothered me very much.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97 View Post
    Lastly, do you have any money invested in Palm OS applications. If you've spent some serious cash on those apps, you may want to get a 680 so you can continue to use them.
    That's the single biggest reason I went from a Treo 650 that died to a Treo 650 from eBay!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    i don't have time to type them all the bugs (read through the other threads before buying!!!!) but the 750 is a horrible phone. WM is just no where near as good as palm OS.

this will get a bunch of responses from WM lovers saying i am wrong, but seriously look into it before switching.

EVERYTHING you like about your 650 will be gone, the only benefit is the lack of antenna, which the 680 will give you as well

please don't make the same mistake i did. i have a 750 (sitting beside me right now) and kept it as everyone told me it was a learning curve.... it isn;t. palm is just better for the majority of mobile users.

let the WM fans begin their retort (BUT PLEASE OP look at other threads, i have never come across a phone as buggy/bad as this 750)
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwh0re View Post
    i don't have time to type them all the bugs (read through the other threads before buying!!!!) but the 750 is a horrible phone. WM is just no where near as good as palm OS.

this will get a bunch of responses from WM lovers saying i am wrong, but seriously look into it before switching.

EVERYTHING you like about your 650 will be gone, the only benefit is the lack of antenna, which the 680 will give you as well

please don't make the same mistake i did. i have a 750 (sitting beside me right now) and kept it as everyone told me it was a learning curve.... it isn;t. palm is just better for the majority of mobile users.

let the WM fans begin their retort (BUT PLEASE OP look at other threads, i have never come across a phone as buggy/bad as this 750)
    Then you never came across the 700p

I won't argue, but I will say that my 750v was a piece of doodie. The 750c has been rock solid for me, no matter what I install. Not sure why, I have used wm for years, but I hated the v and LOVE the c.
    I made the switch HandspringVisor>600>650>Treo 750. I don't regret it one bit. I think it's a much better operating system. One thing I learned to appreciate is multi tasking (going back and forth between different open apps.) You can't do that on PalmOS and thus when I go back to use PalmOS I get frustrated. I can hardly deal with my wife's 680 now.

But there is an added level of complexity to WM, but you can do much more with the UI as far as customizing it too.

I went with WM mainly because it finally got good enough, and because I wanted 3G.

On the flip side my wife gave it a shot, hated it, and went to the 680 after trying the 750.

My one piece of advice. Look at the 5-10 most important features, programs, or functions that you use and appreciate on the 650. Then make sure you can get those comparable programs and features on the 750 before you buy.

Example: I had no less than 3 email apps on the 650 that supported HTML email. But windows mobile 5 does not. WM6 will (after the upgrade) and there's one 3rd party mail program (that I can't use) that supports HTML email.
    Very minor thing, but one that shocked me on day 1. Fortunately it's being rectified in WM6.

On the other hand the WM has 4+ great web browsers that work on it, and PalmOS really doesn't.

Stability: My Treo 650 rebooted itself or hung (several times a day) way way more often than my 750 ever does (which is almost never.) So I don't get it when people say it's more stable.
    My wife's 680 seems to never have this problem though. It seems to never reboot.
    I chose the 750 for 3G and A2DP support mainly and am happy with it...if they had a 3G PalmOS I would have stuck with PalmOS, but that doesn't seem possible until the new Linux-based ones are out, at which time I might go back...

I really like the today screen and configurability of it on the 750, plus the phone quality is excellent in terms of calls etc...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    When my 650 died (it didn't like being driven over), I switched to a 750. I had used the Palm OS since the original PIM, so I do like the Palm OS. But, the multitasking and the better web browser make a big difference. On the down side, the 750 does have a couple of significant bugs: the volume sometimes gets disabled, but that appears to only happen when the battery power has gone really low, and very rarely it disconnects from Cingular (it shows a strong signal, but won't dial out or receive calls, until a reset). Still, given the choice, I'd get the 750W over the 680P.
    I converted to the 750 after owning the 680. I decided to go with the 750 mainly because of:

- 3G
    - better email capability (sync with outlook on desktop and more reliable handling of attachments)
    - better browser (more reliable rendering of pages)
    - better stability (OS almost never crashes or freezes. individual apps can crash, but are quickly restarted automatically with the whole os resetting)

I'd say the PIMs are about the same, overall:
    - Calendar is better on 680 (nice agenda view, better weekview)
    - Contacts is better on 750 (call, text, or email from contact)
    - Notes/Onenote Mobile is better on 750
    - Tasks better on 680

Other:
    - Call audio quality might be a bit better with the 750, but it is very close.
    - I've had pretty flawless bluetooth performance with both the 680 and 750, but range seems a bit longer with the 750.
    - 750 seems manufactured better...just feels more solid. Also, I dropped it hard on concrete from about 4 feet...just a barely visible scuff on one corner

Overall, the 750 is more powerful. Mulititasking is nice, more useful than I'd thought it would be. For example I can talk on a call with bluetooth earpiece while TomTom is running (with BT connection to GPS). But to me, the 680 is much more pleasant to use mainly because of higher screen resolution and more intuitive interface. For my purposes the additional power of the 750 was worth it, so I kept it and sold the 680.

G
    If you can wait until Sept/oct. Maybe wait for the Treo 800w. Should be on verizon... 320x320? Windows Mobile 6!!!
    I thought I read in one of the threads that people were getting the 750 for free off the premier sight as long as they were eligable for an upgrad and willing to sign up for another 2 years... just something to think about/look into.
    My advice would be if you want to stay with Cingular, wait for for the 750 w/WM6 or upgrade the 750 when WM6 is available. Yes WM5 does have more power and potential than Palm, and Ive used both extensively. WM definitely crashes less than my 650 used to (never thought I would say that, and my 680 crashed all the time), has more powerful built in applications (email, office apps), although they need to tune up the user interface in some areas to match Palm for the users (eg switching functions during calls) so I hope that is coming in WM6. If you can switch to another carrier, the 700w or p arent bad, but thats not much of a step forward and I dont believe Verizon will support an upgrade to WM on their devices (remains to be seen whether Cingular will).

I preferred the Palm Treo to the old Blackberry I had (although theyre getting much closer these days), and have struggled to like WM, but recently I picked up a Palm again and after looking at it again was happy to be back with WM (maybe I dont know where my head is anymore!). There is also talk that PalmOS will at some point in the future be dropped in favor of a LinuxOS, and I dont see WM headed in that direction.

-peter
    Last edited by madeintheuk; 06/13/2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: more info
    RIM 957 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750 / GMM