1.    #1  
    Hello,

My sister gave me her old Palm Treo 700W that she does not use anymore. I am currently using it to put my calendar appointments in. My question is this:
    Can I buy the USB Hotsync data cable for it and have it sync up to my Microsoft Outlook without activating it with cellular service? If so - do I need any software?
    I am currently manually putting in all my calendar appointments and it is a PAIN - especially when the appointment changes.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Modotcom
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yes you can use it as a palm device but you won't have any data connection. You will need to download the Active Sync from the microsoft website and you will only be able to sync with your local exchange or your local outlook.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  3.    #3  
    When you say local - does that mean that I can not get the calendar appointments that are in my Outlook at work?
  4.    #4  
    When you say local - does that mean that I can not get the calendar appointments that are in my Outlook at work?
    You can sync with any Outlook you want from a desktop perspective. You just won't be able to access data over a wireless broadband connection. The treo makes a great PDA, but what really separates it is its ability to be a phone/converged device as well. I've had others that were terrific PDAs and lousy phones... you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not have a data plan, but I can understand there may be reasons why that's necessary...
    END OF LINE
  6.    #6  
    So - just so I understand this - (Call me slow)...

I work at a company where we use Microsoft Outlook for all of our meetings...I generally have 4-5 scheduled everyday - and most days - they meeting will be set up and they will change the time at the last minute. So initially - I manually enter all of my meetings but whenever there is a change of the meeting time or location - I have to go into my Treo and change each one, manually. So as you can see - there is alot of room for error with me inputting the changes - or not putting them as the case has been lately. SO with this Hot Sync Cable - all I would do is plug it in to my PC and it will upload any changes that my Outlook might have...Is the correct?

They only reason that I am not hooking it up to cellular service is that my cellular contract id up in 2 months and I am switching to another carrier.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yes that is correct.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  8.    #8  
    Thanks - So I go to Microsoft.com and download Active Sync 4.5? And that is everything I will need? (Along with the USB cable)?
    Should be all you need - if you run into trouble anywhere, you know where to look...
    END OF LINE
    I think you will even have an active data connection while tethered. I don't know that that's worth much, as you would normally be using the desktop connection on the dekstop at that time, but maybe you have some use for it.
    Basically, the 700w/wx is a phone + Pocket PC. Without cellular service, it's just a PocketPC. You could still access data services, via Wi-fi SD card.
    I would say the WX is basically a PDA that happens to have phone capabilities.