1.    #1  
    Should I switch from the Treo 750 to the Blackberry Curve? I have not been all that impressed with Windows Mobile and find it a little slow and clumsy. It also misses characters once in a while when I type fast which is VERY frustrating. Now I know the Curve doesn’t have 3G but when my friend and I tried going to a few website at the same time (in a 3G area) his curve loaded the entire webpage faster than my 750 EVERY time. Have any of you had experience with the newer blackberries and can compare them to the 750? What do you guys think of switching? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Well, this depends on whether you're using corporate email or not. If you are, then your company needs to have a BES for the BB to get your email wirelessly. If you're using personal email, then you should be ok.

I had a Pearl a couple of phones ago when I was with T-Mobile. I still consider it one of the best smartphones I've ever used/owned. The form factor is excellent and I love SureType. Of course the Curve has a full keyboard, so that part shouldn't matter.

BBs have come a long way in the consumer area lately. The major thing you'd be losing going to a BB is software, depending on what you run. There's so Sling client for BB, yet. I'd probably try out a Curve if I was only running personal email or my company had BES.

Joe
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I don't know where you live but here in NYC, you can tell the difference between EDGE & 3G. My buddy just got the Curve and we both can tell the lack of speed, even though the phone is very nice if you like Blackberries.

I love WM5/WM6 and don't have too many issues, plus I can type pretty fast without any errors. I love all the 3rd party aps available to me and cannot wait for WM6.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind. The curve doesn't even have WiFi to make up for the lack of 3G. Thats just my opinion, all the phones I am waiting for are WM6 & 3G (HTC Kaiser & UBiQUiO 503G) so I biased.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
  4.    #4  
    I actually do live in downtown manhattan and am in a 3G area. While the 750 blows the Curve away in a speedtest the curve's browser is SOOO much faster than IE or Opera on WM that the pages do come up faster. Trust me I was shocked as well b/c I was trying to prove him wrong!!

I really haven't made up my mind yet bc i know there is a tradeoff. My company uses a Microsoft exchange server and some people in our office use Blackberries and others use WM devices. Both work fine and sync all PIM data flawlessly. There are a few quirks on my 750 that annoy me but I'm still not sure what to do.
  5.    #5  
    I decided not to get the Cruve and to stick with my 750 for now. I like the Curve a lot but I would be giving up too much if I switched.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    What are the 'quirks' on the 750 that annoy you?

I love the way I am able to customize the today screen on my 750 so I have easy and quick access to every application, file and weather ASAP. I have to agree with quake as I had a BB Pearl not too long ago. I really liked the phone but I hated the SureType, thats why I wanted to get the 8800. The more I think about it, I really like the touchscreen element of the Treo and that one of the main sellers for me. I am sure the Curve is an amazing phone but I don't think there is a bad choice either way.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    I just recently gave up my 750 for a Curve. One of the things that was paramount to me was the phone (whatever one I used) to work flawlessly with my Acura MDX HandsFreeLink BT system. I hate wearing headsets since I got my Acura and love to use the HFL. But, the Treo 750 was hit and miss when it came to connecting a making/receiving calls via BT with the Acura's HFL. The BB Curve attaches to the HFL with no problems at all and it's at 100% rate of flawlessness. A bonus I received with this Curve is I've discovered for me that the BB's keyboard is better to type on (I am faster than I ever was with the Treo) and someone at the ATT store sent me a link to a free BES Express software (this is a 1 user license of the BES to use on an Exchange Server). So far I am happy, even though I had to give up all of my PALM OS and WinMobile software I've accumulated over the years.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    how easy was the navigation?? (not being a touch screen)
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    how easy was the navigation?? (not being a touch screen)
    for the Curve, you don't need a touchscreen to navigate this device well. the trackball does everything and works very well.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I prefer the 8800 to the curve but thats just personal preference. GPS beat out having a camera. I used to have a 700w that froze up all the time and missed out on lots of calls so I changed to the 8800. It is rock solid and the battery life is much better as well. I miss the today screen of wm5, but for me I was willing to trade that for something more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by f1realtor View Post
    I miss the today screen of wm5, but for me I was willing to trade that for something more stable.

I understand this completely. I've played in the past with BBs but never actually went to them for good, because I thought I would miss out too much on the fun aspects of my phone. But now that BBs have a media app and camera, I can have the stability for work and the fun for fun times. BTW, there is no Treo that can touch the BB in terms of BT implementation. This was important for me and now I have it. The Treo could never properly connect to my BT car kit in my Acura.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    I gave the Curve a real good hard look....it's a real nice device. However, for myself, I would miss the flexibility of WM, the Today screen, A2DP, 3G, Voice recognition (even though VC blows), and a slew of 3rd party apps that I have come to rely on.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  13.    #13  
    Well i took the plunge and got the Curve. I have to say I love everything about this device from the small form factor to the great keyboard to the stability of the OS. The ONLY thing that bugs me a little is not having 3G in the phone. You can really tell the difference on the LARGER webpages (only). If it weren't for that one thing this thing would be perfect. Also, the lack of touchscreen is a non factor as the roller ball is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by f1realtor View Post
    I prefer the 8800 to the curve but thats just personal preference. GPS beat out having a camera. I used to have a 700w that froze up all the time and missed out on lots of calls so I changed to the 8800. It is rock solid and the battery life is much better as well. I miss the today screen of wm5, but for me I was willing to trade that for something more stable.
    I also have gone for the 8800, but am keeping my 750 as well for GPS and web browsing. As yet, TOmtom don't have a Blackberry version, and because the BES we are on blocks a lot of internet access, which means that I can't download maps from some of the GPS apps.

For the Today screen, you could always give PocketDay a go. Does a bit of what the WM today screen does.
    You could also wait for the HTC Kaiser if you don't mind the slide out keyboard. As far as the Curve versus WM and the Treo, it all really depends on your needs. Basic web browsing and email is superb on the Curve, but the Treo on WM blows the Curve out as far as customizations, programs, etc. If you need a lot of third party apps or specialized apps, maybe stick with the Treo. If you just are there for the phone, email, and web surfing, BlackBerries are great!
    The palm has been lacking as a phone lately. More developers are releasing program for the BB. Skyscape (medical programs) are going to start releasing programs for the BB this month. Dr. Drugs. About half of my Palm Programs (or something similar ) are available on the BB.
    I was lured by the BB Curve. I have been a BB user in the past and I was feeling WM5 was too troublesome (even though it is not as unstable as the Palm OS) and the battery power was taking a toll on me. I bought Seidio extended battery, which works fine but when typing for a while, my hands would cramp because of the added weight. Not to mention, the bulk. I put my T750 on sale with about $200 worth in accessories. As I kept reading about the Curve at BB forums (which I am also a member of), the html issues, the limited speed for web browsing and DUN, I came to my senses. I think the mobile professional out there, needs more than an email managing device. You should be able to view documents, modifying them, save them and send them back without the need of storing it in some third party server. There is a lot of space for modifications on the 750, but right know, I am convinced that its the best darn smart phone out there for the true mobile professional. If I could do all this on my T650 you canīt imagine what I can do now! I canīt wait for my WM6 update.

PD. I donīt have phone issues with AT&T in Puerto Rico. Recently, there has been some issues but it has been because HSPDA is being installed throughout the island. (I have a friend that works as a contractor for AT&T and told me about them upgrading the At&T network). AT&T's (previously Cingular) performance is solid in my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by JCB; 06/15/2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    I am going to wait for a BB that has Wifi, GPS and 3G. Until then I am keeping my Treo 750.
    Should one wait for the next generation of palm linux devices?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackisBack View Post
    Should one wait for the next generation of palm linux devices?
    Well that’s my thinking right now. If Palm’s next generation OS and hardware is what I expect [from Palm of 2000] then I will switch back to a Treo. But if the software sucks and isn’t innovative and the hardware is still thick and ugly then I will stick with my sexy curve. Palm, the ball is in your court now let’s see what you can produce.