1.    #1  
    I have an avi file from my digital camera that I transferred to my SD card and wish to play on the Treo (700wx sprint). I have read through the forums and it seems there are no ways to make the standard Windows media player handle avi, please inform if there is. I downloaded multiple versions of TCPMP and all it did was lock my phone up. I tried .81 and the older one but the moment I tried to open the file it would totally lock.
    The file is good, I put the sd card into my notebook computer and that WMP played it just fine from card.
    Any simple way to just watch this video on my phone? Or is there a good freeware translator or player that would work to play it? Everyone seems to like tcpmp but it never got close, requiring rebooting everytime.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Do you have version .72RC1? That seems to be really stable for me.
  3.    #3  
    I tried the newer, .81 which didn't work, uninstalled and re-installed, same problem. Then uninstalled and tried .72rc1 which did the same thing- which was after going through open file and double clicking on the video on my storage card everything froze, had to be rebooted. Windows Media gave the "no suitable decompressor could be found" error.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    How big is the avi file that is giving you a problem? I had a problem with one specific avi too but that's the only file I ever had a problem with. Try changing the extension to .mpg and see if that works. Also, make sure you download and install any codecs that are available for TCPMP (I doubt that's the problem but it can't hurt to check).
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the suggestions I found a converter and changed the avi to an mp4 file that did work. I can deal with converting things if needed. It was only 8 mb surprised it wouldn't work otherwise.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    You definitely shouldn't need to do any conversions - I play avi files all the time without a problem. Try making another video with your digital camera and see if that one works.