Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I just switched from a 650 to a 750 the other day so bear with me, I'm still installing all the things I need to install to fix Bluetooth issues and the lack of HSDPA (both of which now work). Is anyone besides me having a problem with staying connected to the computer through ActiveStink 4.5? I either can't get connected at all or I get connected and sometime later, the connection mysteriously drops and I can"t reconnect.

I may have tracked the problem to the fact that there seems to be a conflict with the IP address assigned by the computer through ActiveStink and the IP address that gets asigned by the network when connecting to GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA. Maybe there's a trick in telling the 750 to prefer a connection to the computer when it's hooked up, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Seems like when the 750 goes and attaches to the data network, it disconnects from ActiveStink.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't be the only one with this problem....
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlevin View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone with this problem, what OS are you using on your computer?
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by hlevin View Post
    For me, activesync 4.5 has been pretty stable. Are you using a third-party sync cable? I have found the 750s to be much pickier wrt to sync cable than the 650/680s were. Using a third-party cable, I get connection problems, but none using the palm-supplied cable.

G
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 and the 750 is plugged into the old 650 cradle, so I'm not sure that these are the problem. I do have a Cisco SSL VPN running to keep me attached to the corporate e-mail server, but I don't see how that would affect things.
    ON every Windows based computer the USB ports are set to turn off (by default) after some time to save power. Go to My Computer-open up DEvice Manager-USB-then one by one go to Advanced Properties until you find where it says do not turn USB of to save power!

Hopefully, that will do it!
    Steve
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven2420 View Post
    ON every Windows based computer the USB ports are set to turn off (by default) after some time to save power. Go to My Computer-open up DEvice Manager-USB-then one by one go to Advanced Properties until you find where it says do not turn USB of to save power!

Hopefully, that will do it!
    Found this advaice interesting.
    Just can't find where th "advanced properties" is located.
    winXP pro
    my activesync wont connect either all of a sudden. works fine a few days ago. i think my cpu did get some windows updates but i don't know why that would cause my 750 to not sync up now
    I have that problem... My connection always lost after connected few seconds. I buy a used Treo without any accecories -.-
    So I buy non Treo USB for charging and sync
    I use card export, got no problem. But when i use active sync 4.2 my connection always lost. So i think it's not the cable or USB setting
    At home I have random disconnects on bluetooth, but I suspect radio interference as this never happens at work. Also, I was using an RSS reader and when I'd try to download articles it would jam up. I think it was doing too many data connections at once or something.

To force data through the PC, on activesync 4.5 there's a check box (in activesync on the PC) to allow data over the wireless connection. Make sure it's unchecked (or checked depending how it's worded.) I'm going from memory here so forgive me.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    This all looks promising. Thanx for all the advice. I'll give this all a shot and see where it gets me. I'll post an update Monday with the results.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    Found this advaice interesting.
    Just can't find where th "advanced properties" is located.
    winXP pro
    go to "Settings" / "Control Panel" / "System" / "Hardware" / "Device Manager" / "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Right Click on each "USB Root Hub" individually and select "Properties" from the menu. Select the "Power Management" tab and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Hope this helps
    FYI. If you disable wireless data on activesync (force data through activesync) you may have to do this:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/disableproxy/
    In order to use Internet Explorer. Just make sure you shut down and re-start IE between doing the patch (Hold the OK button and select "stop" on IE)
    when i try to connect my 750 to my cpu i noticed that 2 little cpu pop in the bottom right of my task bar. my 750 still does not connect. i clicked on the little cpu and it says local area 9 connection. this connection is under my lan or high speed internet connection. i never noticed these little cpu before. is my 750 trying to connect to the internet and not activesync? i have connect before in the past and all of a sudden i cant connect to active sync.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    First, let me thank Steven2420 and taylorh for the advice. I turned off the power management "feature" of all the USB ports and the box to let wireless data in while connected to ActiveSync was already unchecked. This seemed to fix the problem. Mostly.

The 750 actually stayed connected for a good, long time today (probably 4 hours or more), and then just as I was ready to call everything a success, the darned thing disconnected again. When I re-hooked it in, I got one of those "USB devices not recognized" messages from Windows. Took a soft reset of the 750 to clear it and get connected again, but I'm hoping someone might have a solution for this one too. Honestly, whatever this is could have been the problem all along, but it just doesn't seem right that the device would just go unrecognized for no apparent reason. Still, this is a few hundred percent better than last week.

Come to think of it, I have a problem with the wife's iPAQ where you need to plug it into the cradle 3 or 4 times before it'll get recognized too, but that's another computer and another problem....

Any additional advice is appreciated.
    Just a shot in the dark, but I know from experience that I MUST eject my MiniSD card before I can sync properly.