1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else here, but I am about to leave on a trip and will need to be able to connect my laptop to the internet, but i won't have a dial-up or wireless connection where I am going. I am using a 700wx on the Sprint SERO plan. I've heard many mention PDAnet, and I know it works. My question is...is Sprint going to charge me up the wazoo if I use the data through my Treo. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I leave early in the morning.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    All I can say (as a Verizon user) is that the only people who've had problems that I know of are Verzion users who go over 5 gigs in a month. Unless you're planning on streaming video for hours and hours, I think you're fine. Sprint users might know better on this, but I don't think Sprint has a cap on data. If you really want to do it legit, you should be able to add on Phone As Modem to your plan (but PDAnet works fine too). This is all assuming you have a data plan that is.
    Some here said that Sprint didn't charge them for using PDANet ... well, I am on SERO and after using PDANet, I got charged.
    So I recommend you install PDANet, connect and browse ... and then check your Sprint account.

My 2c.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell View Post
    Some here said that Sprint didn't charge them for using PDANet ... well, I am on SERO and after using PDANet, I got charged.
    So I recommend you install PDANet, connect and browse ... and then check your Sprint account.

My 2c.

Good luck!

How could they have known that you used Pdanet?
    Did you go over 5 gigs in a month or something outrageous?
    The whole virtue of using PDAnet is that it uses the same ports/connection as Mobile Internet Explorer, therefore is undetectable to Sprint vs. their NAI system. It just looks like data, not PAM data.

The only way Sprint can charge you is

1) you don't have a PowerVision/Data plan
    2) accident (e.g. your account was not provisioned for data)
    3) you used an enormous amount of data in 30 days (like gigs)

I had Sprint charge me data once but that's b/c they "accidentally" removed my PV/Data plan. A simple phone called fixed that.

Another case in point: Many of us Sprint users use Slingbox which also uses a ton of data and there are no charges. So something is suspect.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    PDANet was the only app. I used to tether with.
    I can't remember the exact description on my bill ... I will report later but it was something like "extra data charges" ...

Since I am on SERO, Power Vision is included in my plan.

Of course, after calling Sprint CS, the charges were waived.
    Anyway, it was just few dollars because I wanted to test that app... so I was careful.

Not sure why it happened ...
    I can't remember the exact description on my bill ... I will report later but it was something like "extra data charges" ...

Anyway, it was just few dollars because I wanted to test that app... so I was careful.

Yeah, but if you use pdanet to go on youtube and watch video, download files, stream other audio & video, etc it will spike your usage. That's probably why you got charged

I'd double check to make sure you do have data on your account though. I understand SERO has PV but when they actually set up your account, they might not have activated the data part or actually added it (after all, SERO is technically a billing issue/distinction, not a services one).

Needless to say, you are by far...and I really mean that...the exception in this regards. Of course it is always wise to be vigilant of your billing in case some thing is awry.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter