Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I'm hoping that one of you power users might be able to help me get around my corporate IT department. I just started a new job that uses BlackBerry's The corporate wireless provider is T-Mobile. While that works fine in Boston...it is almost useless in my home state of NH. I have asked if I can use my Treo with Verizon Wireless...even if I have to pay for it. The IT Manager told me he can't do it because the email goes through the T-Mobile servers. Now, I'm not in IT but that sounds like an excuse just to get me off of his back. I would love to be able to get my calendar, email etc. on my Treo as I used to in my old company (much cooler IT people there). But I would settle just for my email. Is there a way I can get around IT, either by configuring my Treo myself or the use of third party software? Keep in mind I won't be able to get any info from corporate to configure the treo and I certainly don't think I will have access to the Exchange Server. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gravalic View Post
    The IT Manager told me he can't do it because the email goes through the T-Mobile servers.
    Wow, you large corporate folks really do have some jerks to deal with in your IT departments (or idiots, I suppose). That's nonsense. But let's try and find a solution.

First off, if they are running Exchange servers in-house (not at T-Mobile...I digress), see if you can log into OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) from outside of the corp network: https://www.yourcorpdomain.com/oma

If you can log into that there's a very good chance you can just configure your Treo yourself (with our help if needed). Let us know.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    Wow, you large corporate folks really do have some jerks to deal with in your IT departments (or idiots, I suppose). That's nonsense. But let's try and find a solution.

First off, if they are running Exchange servers in-house (not at T-Mobile...I digress), see if you can log into OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) from outside of the corp network: https://www.yourcorpdomain.com/oma

If you can log into that there's a very good chance you can just configure your Treo yourself (with our help if needed). Let us know.
    thanks for trying to help...well, when I click on to the link you provided it the browser is telling me it can't find the page (as if the address was wrong). is it a mistake? or does that mean I am out of luck?

Thanks again
    What he is saying is that if you company provides a website where you can check your email, then possibly it will provide OMA (which is for mobile devices).

you need to replace the "yourcorpdomain.com" with whatever your company name is.

www.nike.com/exchange or something like that.

regarding the following statement

"The IT Manager told me he can't do it because the email goes through the T-Mobile servers."

It is entirely possible that it only works with t-mobile phones. Each carrier provides services which makes it simple for the enterprise to push their emails to phones. Granted us running exchange has more options, but its very possible that t-mobile has a server at the customer site, which only makes the website accesible from t-mobile phones. I've seen similar solutions from Sprint.

Now, as much as you may not agree with your corporate IT policy (or the effort put forth by the IT manager), i'd be hesitant in providing measure that would circumvent that. As a IT manager, i'd consider that professional courtesy.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    It is entirely possible that it only works with t-mobile phones. Each carrier provides services which makes it simple for the enterprise to push their emails to phones. Granted us running exchange has more options, but its very possible that t-mobile has a server at the customer site, which only makes the website accesible from t-mobile phones. I've seen similar solutions from Sprint.
    Darth, I find that amazing. I really had no idea organizations would do such outsourcing. I run a small business and can't stand outsourcing, especially something as critical as a web or Exchange server. And I would never, ever, trust a mobile phone carrier with something so important. You've enlightened me to why some of my large corporate clients are, well, not exactly in tune with the best business practices. I mean, how hard is it to use Exchange Push or install BES (Blackberry Exchange Server)? I've done both, and I'm not even an IT person.

PLEASE understand, I'm not cutting here, just simply AMAZED! What's the logic behind such outsourcing when Exchange is in-house?
    I have a small business and my Exchange Server sits at my office right next to the redundant fail-over server. Why would you outsource the heart of your business? Like the earlier poster I have ceased to be awed by big companies. We little guys rule. Big companies drool. As my 8 year old would say.
  7.    #7  
    What he is saying is that if you company provides a website where you can check your email, then possibly it will provide OMA (which is for mobile devices).

you need to replace the "yourcorpdomain.com" with whatever your company name is.

www.nike.com/exchange or something like that.

regarding the following statement

"The IT Manager told me he can't do it because the email goes through the T-Mobile servers."

Now, as much as you may not agree with your corporate IT policy (or the effort put forth by the IT manager), i'd be hesitant in providing measure that would circumvent that. As a IT manager, i'd consider that professional courtesy.

Duh...I feel like an ***. Thanks for the clarification on the link, Darth. Though none should have been required Anyway, I hear what you are saying and I would feel a little funny going around IT. On the other hand, I really need access to email from the road and I spend a lot of time in NH. T Mobile is useless up there. I am basically getting a "tough luck" response from IT. I have to believe there is a way. I feel like it's all about getting the right person in IT and that's a shame.

Ideally I would love a solution that perhaps syncs my email and calendar from my computer rather than the server. Wouldn't that be a fair comprimise (if possible). Anyway, I don't think I have true webmail access. I do have VPN access but that seems very different, no?

Any other suggestions?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    You need to follow what everyone is saying. Do you have web access email? That is the first question that you need to answer before we can go any farther.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    You need to follow what everyone is saying. Do you have web access email? That is the first question that you need to answer before we can go any farther.
    I don't seem to have standard web access email. I have a link my IT provided in which I can access email via VPN. I have to enter a username and an RSA generated password which then gives me several options, one of which is access email via the web by entereing my regular network password. I think the first password I enter gets me past the corporate firewall. It's not as straightforward a process as my old company which was one username and password which takes you right to the inbox.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    by the way, dimitri...my cousin played linebacker for the Gators briefly.
    When you check your email at work, what email program do you use? Do you use Outlook? Since you use Verizon for your carrier, you can try the Wireless Sync option... I use it to circumvent our IT department's policy and it works great most of the time. The only downfall is that you need to keep your desktop PC on all the time as it pretty much forwards all incoming email to your desktop out to the Wireless Sync website, which, in turn, forwards it to your Treo... The only caveat that I know of is that you either need to have Exchange Server or Lotus Domino/Notes as your email server for it to talk to...
    Mixman,

Often times, it doesn't have to do with "ability" but more with resources. Corporations are faced with providing increasing amounts of services with the same/ less resources.

I know of one company, which went that way because they needed to deploy this offering quickly, but didn't have time or resources to develop the solution internally. In addition, they didn't have the manpower to manage this new solution.

Hence, the major carriers offer these solutions.

In addition, its always easier to ask for 24K per year in outsourcing ... rather than asking for a headcount.

Gravalic,

Well, it sounds like your shop has it locked down pretty good. Particularly if you need to use two factor authentication just so you can click a link to get to email.

(speaking as a user) you could create a rule in outlook and forward your email to another host and then retrieve the email using pop3 or IMAP.

THis other host would also have to support you sending email as your corporate domain and not from their own.

The upside to this would be that you can receive and send email. The downside is that you will have two different inboxes. (as your mobile phone and exchange inbox do not sync).

Now, what i just recommended, would get you fired at my company. I have specific policies preventing this type of forwarding.

I hope this helps. Maybe you can chat with another user and see how it is setup?

I browsed the t-mobile website and outside of BES, they offer something calle d T-mobile Total Internet. This doesn't sound like Goodlink or Seven or visto. It sounds like Nokia Intellisync (not sure). But whatever it may be, it does sound proprietary.

Good luck!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by briguy73 View Post
    When you check your email at work, what email program do you use? Do you use Outlook? Since you use Verizon for your carrier, you can try the Wireless Sync option... I use it to circumvent our IT department's policy and it works great most of the time. The only downfall is that you need to keep your desktop PC on all the time as it pretty much forwards all incoming email to your desktop out to the Wireless Sync website, which, in turn, forwards it to your Treo... The only caveat that I know of is that you either need to have Exchange Server or Lotus Domino/Notes as your email server for it to talk to...
    I use Outlook. I was under the impression Wireless Sync pulled from the corp. exchange server...which I either don't have or don't have access to. Am I wrong about that? Does it pull from the local computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by gravalic View Post
    I don't seem to have standard web access email. I have a link my IT provided in which I can access email via VPN. I have to enter a username and an RSA generated password which then gives me several options, one of which is access email via the web by entereing my regular network password. I think the first password I enter gets me past the corporate firewall. It's not as straightforward a process as my old company which was one username and password which takes you right to the inbox.
    This sounds similar to what is done elsewhere. You have (likely) Outlook Web Access - but only behind the firewall.

If true you would need:

1. The OWA web address (pretty easy to get) - assuming a current version of Exchange server, or the whole thing won't work anyway.
    2. A VPN client (not so easy, depending upon what VPN product you company uses and its implementation). You might get very lucky and have the provided VPN client work for you - it does not for me.
    3. VPN information from your company so you can set up your VPN on the phone (they may or may not give out this information).

If you can get all three, then I can help you set up your phone, but you may or may not be violating company policy. Certainly all traffic will be secure because of the VPN, but company information will be stored on your personal device, which may not be acceptable.

You need to understand your company's computing security policy, and I will tell you right up front that I will not assist you to violate your company's security policies in any way.

In any case, the biggest challenge is to get a working VPN client. You may or may not be able to work through that one. I do not recommend this for the faint of heart!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    In addition, its always easier to ask for 24K per year in outsourcing ... rather than asking for a headcount.
    Thanks for the explanation. My IT experience is with small to mid-size companies. From my experience these size firms, if they go for a corporate solution, will often get their hardware in-house and either the boss (me, in my case) or another employee will run it. Otherwise, they'll outsource support to a local IT firm. I can see where larger companies might feel more comfortable with outsourcing it all to an even bigger company they feel all warm and fuzzy about.

It's good to learn something new every day!
  16. 2sa
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am running into a simular situation as described here. I am almost positive that our servers reside behind a firewall. My company does give me access to a web version of our Groupwise e-mail but I cant get the data I need to set it up in my phone. I tried the suggestions listed above but it just sends me to our company website for public sales. I dont think I will be able to get this thing working w/o corporate blessing...Suggestions?
    Device: 700wx,4G SD Card
    Service: VZW

When I get my PPC just the way I want it.....what happens next?
    I too have started a new job where the IT guys tell me "we don't support it"

I do have mobile access by logging onto https://mycompanyname.com/exchange

I can access my email through the browser on my treo

We are running exchange 2000
    (there's my problem, former company had exchange 2003)

but when I try to sync i get the
    incorrect ssl cert error.

what is odd is when I go back into the "edit server settings" on the device
    the server address has changed from what I input
    https://mycompany.com/exchange

to simply
    mycompany.com

any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    You will not be able to do this because you don't have Exchange 2003 with SP2. It's not going to happen. Find out if they have it configured as a pop?
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    You could still use activesync with exchange 200 I believe. You are just not going to get push. The easiest thing would be to see if your IT guys will open the POP server functionality.

As for why companies choose to host email> if you have 200 employees that access email remotely and your T1 goes down everyone is out of luck. If it is hosted, there is redundant everything which assures business continuity.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2555 View Post
    but when I try to sync i get the
    incorrect ssl cert error. . . .

any suggestions?
    Did you try unchecking the "The server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection" box? That worked for me at my former job.

At my new job (which supports BB but not activesync) we have outlook web access on an Exchange 2003 server that I can access from anywhere. When I put in the information (webmail.employer) into activesync, however, it says "Activesync encountered a problem on the server. Support code: 85010014"

I Googled the support code and found lots of advice for "Activesync encountered a problem on the desktop" but the "problem on the server" advice seems to be to contact IT (who, of course, won't help me).

Any thoughts?
    Handspring Visor w/ Visorphone --> Visor Prism w/ Visorphone --> Treo 180 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast