1.    #1  
    I don't post much here, nor browse much anymore. BUT - just wanted to share my story.

I've had my 700wx for about 3 months now and recently made the bonehead move of leaving it in my pants, and then subsequently throwing those pants into the washer. The wash cycle finished, and the phone probably continued to sit in the washer for another 30-40 minutes before I began wondering where exactly my phone was.

When I took the phone out, there was a huge water bubble in the screen and another smaller one too. I googled what to do if the phone fell in water, and the best advice was to take it apart, dry off everything, and just pray. The main problem with phones not working after being dropped in the water is a combination of the battery, water, and thus creating short circuits. My phone was on and fully charged when it went for a swim.

I let the phone dry for over a day and a half underneath a 40w bulb, and reassembled it last night. Right when I popped in the battery, I was greeted with a warm welcome from the white Treo screen as the treo booted up. All my information is still there, all functions of the phone still work. I can make and receive calls and texts, the only problem is the internal speaker is slightly scratching at louder tones, but the external speaker operates fine. There's also a slight water stain on the inside of the screen from those 2 water bubbles, but I can live with it.

If anyone else ever drops their phone into the water, or even worse, leave their phone in the wash - just get a T6 torx screwdriver and take apart the entire unit, let it dry, and it should still be good.
    Congrats on not having to bury it...
    END OF LINE
    Wow Wow Wow
    Congrats.

Pretty much, any electronic device will work, even after a good soaking, IF and only IF you do not turn on the device (while wet) and let everything dry thoroughly. Otherwise, you could cause a short. Just keep in mind, water contains salts and usually has some kind of acidity level. Therefore, the device may eventually wear out, since parts/connections may corrode.
    Yes, and they also have "water-detector" type material that indicates when the phone internals have gotten wet. So don't bother trying to make up a story if you have to go there!
    This is GREAT...
    Washing mine now
    Best regards,
    Austin A. Brady
    I've heard that it's a good idea to dunk phones in rubbing alcohol after a nice swim then letting it air dry.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Alcohol has a very fast rate of evaporation. If you wash away all the water with alcohol, the alcohol itself will evaporate in minutes vs. the hours or days that it takes water. I did this to my camera once that will in the water while white water rafting. Just know know what Alchol will do to things like the screen and such.
    the best way to dry out cellphones dropped in water and this is straight from my carriers mouth is to take a sack of white rice fill a salad bowl half full then plop the cell in open if its a flip phone and with the battery out and throw the battery in to then poor the rest of the rice on top of the cell phone and let it sit for a few days in a window sill. the rice absorbs absolutely every last molecule of water i have done this a few times with complete success and it saves disassembling and voiding the warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Yes, and they also have "water-detector" type material that indicates when the phone internals have gotten wet. So don't bother trying to make up a story if you have to go there!
    thats true its a white strip that turns red from moisture but will return back to white i beleive if its dried correctly... like i said in my previous post the tech rep from my carrier (tellus Canada) said thats all they do to fix watter logged cells is the rice trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
    thats true its a white strip that turns red from moisture but will return back to white i beleive if its dried correctly... like i said in my previous post the tech rep from my carrier (tellus Canada) said thats all they do to fix watter logged cells is the rice trick.
    or you could just change the stickers LOL. They will probably swap it if the stickers are fine.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
    the best way to dry out cellphones dropped in water and this is straight from my carriers mouth is to take a sack of white rice fill a salad bowl half full then plop the cell in open if its a flip phone and with the battery out and throw the battery in to then poor the rest of the rice on top of the cell phone and let it sit for a few days in a window sill. the rice absorbs absolutely every last molecule of water i have done this a few times with complete success and it saves disassembling and voiding the warranty
    wish i thought of that before running out to buy a stupid t6 torx. But hey, the fact that my $300 phone is still working after being left in the wash makes me happy in itself.
    Crazy...lucky, lucky.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

August 3, 2007

A geek buddy who makes his living in computer system consulting, etc., recommends immediate removal of batter, dry externally as best one can, and then place device and battery in baggies with desiccant. Wait and hope. Make us of prayer rug.

Robert, Austin, Texas
    The 700wx is indeed a fighter. I've dropped mine on concrete over 5 times about 6 feet off the ground and somehow, there are only minor scuffs on sides that are barely noticeable.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Nice!! Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!
    I had a LG VX6000 that got left in the bed of pickup truck. After a week of heavy rain I found it. I dried it out and it fired up but it would not send or recieve calls. I took it to a Verizon store and asked for a firmware update and they couldn't get it to take the update so they gave me a refurbed one. The tech commented about the battery's water detection dot was pink, I commented "I'll keep the battery just trade the phone." He went for it!

I also had an Audi keyfob/alarm remote go through the wash. It worked like a charm right out of the washer. The battery died a month later but $3 and I was in business again. That was 3 years ago and I still use that key/remote daily.
    You could also try what my ex-GF did once when she ran her Moto flip phone through the washer - went ahead and put it in the dryer on low Amazingly, it still worked afterwards (never claimed she was intelligent). The rice sounds like a good idea. I dumped coffee on my E815 couple of years ago. Tried to take it back and literally first thing the tech chick did was sniff inside then told me I was the proud owner of a $300 paperweight. I was able to resurrect it via the "pull the battery, dry everything off and let it dry" routine. Thank God for removeable memory cards and phone insurance