Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi All,
    After NEVER having the "no modem found" problem with my 700w, I applied the 1.22 update this weekend. Guess what?? Now it happens.
    This sux.
    Not looking to rub salt in your would Paul, but my 700WX has EXCELLENT internet connectivity after this update. It was just the ticket for my woes. I am even starting to feel like I can count on connecting when I need to!
    Wanted to put in my take on what may be the cause of this problem. I too have experienced this issue ever since I got my verizon 700wx back in April. I quickly found the solution (at least what worked for me) is to cycle the phone off and back on. 9 outta 10 times that worked for me. But it still annoyed me to no end.

But at the end of May I had a chance to visit to Washington, DC (I'm from Vegas). I was eager to test the performance of my phone up there and make comparisons. On average I was getting about 250-350 kbit/sec here. I figured DC would be a pretty wired town. I wasn't disappointed. Tethered to my laptop I was getting about 500-550 kbit/sec. A nice jump. And a persistent connection even when on their Metro Subway system - which is great by the way.

But more importantly guess what - not a single time during the week I was there did I get 'modem not found' error. I'm in the habit of turning off my EVDO connection even though I have an unlimited data plan. So I'm constantly logging on/off. But in DC, not a single moment of broadband access error. Aaaand when I did log on, it was damn near instant! In Vegas it takes about 4-7 seconds on average.

So there's my experience. My take is that it's the Verizon network itself thats the cause of our problem. But I know the techs would never confess to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcullum View Post

So there's my experience. My take is that it's the Verizon network itself thats the cause of our problem. But I know the techs would never confess to that.
    Thanks for your post. I can certainly agree that the network can affect this. However, it is also true that other phones do a better job at negotiating the initial connection (regardless of circumstances) than the Treo 700wx does. But yeah, I do believe with a perfect network negotiation there may not be any problem. Negotiation, of course, takes two, like the Tango!

-Frank
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234