1.    #1  
    I've searched and searched and can't find any definitive info on if Sprint/Palm were releasing a ROM update for the Treo 700wx to Windows Mobile 6, the same way TMobile did for the Dash.

Anyone have any pointers?
    Search Windows Mobile 6 and you'll find that there are already threads on that topic.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I did that but mainly found just a bunch of back and forth rants on who made the Treo and such... was looking for a definitive answer for Sprint users which I wasn't able to find... hence the post. I did do my homework and came up empty
    Quote Originally Posted by aconnell View Post
    Yeah, I did that but mainly found just a bunch of back and forth rants on who made the Treo and such... was looking for a definitive answer for Sprint users which I wasn't able to find... hence the post. I did do my homework and came up empty
    You didn't find rants but discussion on why/why not WM6 could be a possibility, and who makes the Treo is very important to your question. However, if you haven't found ANYTHING on WM6 for the 700 series its for a good reason... they haven't announced it (doubtful they will).

Oh, my apologies for your having read my "rants" on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    However, if you haven't found ANYTHING on WM6 for the 700 series its for a good reason... they haven't announced it (doubtful they will).
    Exactly. Zero has been announced.

Although I'm still hopeful for three reasons

1) 700p : It's EOL and it's been 12+ months since it's release and it is scheduled to get it's first Maintenance Release (MR)/ROM upgrade this week.

2) 700wx has yet to get a MR and I'm pretty sure every Sprint device gets at least one ROM update

3) 700wx is not EOL and there is also no signs of a new Sprint/Verizon WM Treo

Combine that with the fact the 750 market is a much bigger priority for Palm and would therefore get the upgrade first and an insider tip that told me Q3 or Q4 of this year for WM6 and the 700wx, I'm still a bit optimistic.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/30/2007 at 11:44 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Exactly. Zero has been announced.

Although I'm still hopeful for three reasons

1) 700p : It's EOL and it's been 12+ months since it's release and it is scheduled to get it's first Maintenance Release (MR)/ROM upgrade this week.

2) 700wx has yet to get a MR and I'm pretty sure every Sprint device gets at least one ROM update

3) 700wx is not EOL and there is also no signs of a new Sprint/Verizon WM Treo

Combine that with the fact the 750 market is a much bigger priority for Palm and would therefore get the upgrade first and an insider tip that told me Q3 or Q4 of this year for WM6 and the 700wx, I'm still a bit optimistic.
    Mal,

You know I love ya bro... Really I do... but you hold onto that pipe dream of yours and someday you'll make something of yourself

Ah, you remind me a lot of myself in my youth (the days of the PPC660X hoping for an EVDO updater)...

All kidding aside, good points... but it does remind me of when Sprint ditched the 6600 series for the 6700 and left us in the dust... 700wx with WM6 just seems like a stretch. It will cost them more for the update than they would make off of new sales of the device. It isn't cost productive in my eyes let alone theirs!
    Mal,

You know I love ya bro... Really I do... but you hold onto that pipe dream of yours and someday you'll make something of yourself

Ah, you remind me a lot of myself in my youth (the days of the PPC660X hoping for an EVDO updater)...

All kidding aside, good points... but it does remind me of when Sprint ditched the 6600 series for the 6700 and left us in the dust... 700wx with WM6 just seems like a stretch. It will cost them more for the update than they would make off of new sales of the device. It isn't cost productive in my eyes let alone theirs!

No I agree, but until we get at least one MR and I hear of a replacement--I dunno. I'll keep a little hope out.

Don't forget, any replacement will still have RevA and 320x320 as a lure over the "old" 700wx anyways (one that I would have to go for).

I think Palm is committed to these devices...they're just very, very slow (I mean 1 year for a MR for an EOL 700p that was just replaced by the 755p? yikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

No I agree, but until we get at least one MR and I hear of a replacement--I dunno. I'll keep a little hope out.

Don't forget, any replacement will still have RevA and 320x320 as a lure over the "old" 700wx anyways (one that I would have to go for).

I think Palm is committed to these devices...they're just very, very slow (I mean 1 year for a MR for an EOL 700p that was just replaced by the 755p? yikes)
    I got my brother hooked onto his 700p, he kept gloating how much better his device is than mine. This week, he came to the WM side and got Sprint to switch out his 3x defective 700p (something I had done in September when it was released). Now, I have him hooked on the idea of the 6800 (It is going to be a beast!)... And you make an tough argument to beat with the MR for a dead device... doesn't make sense and the turd of a Foleo doesn't help matters at Palm. HTC developed devices is the way to go at this point... It's ashame the Treo had form factor beat for all these years and they still don't know what to do with it.

You still love your Q? I can't get into the whole lack of touchscreen and I heard it's sluggish with poor memory...
    I got my brother hooked onto his 700p, he kept gloating how much better his device is than mine. This week, he came to the WM side and got Sprint to switch out his 3x defective 700p (something I had done in September when it was released). Now, I have him hooked on the idea of the 6800 (It is going to be a beast!)... And you make an tough argument to beat with the MR for a dead device... doesn't make sense and the turd of a Foleo doesn't help matters at Palm. HTC developed devices is the way to go at this point... It's ashame the Treo had form factor beat for all these years and they still don't know what to do with it.

You still love your Q? I can't get into the whole lack of touchscreen and I heard it's sluggish with poor memory...
    6800 will be a beast (especially when/if they enable GPS) but I can't deal with that form-factor anymore, but we'll see

I do still like the Q. It's no more sluggish than any other WM device. Only Palm seems to have figured out the magic of using a 312mhz processor and yet make it feel like 400mhz+. But still, for basic 'lite' usage and non-techy people, the Q is a cool device. Plus it was weird with the thinness--I felt like I was back to a regular cell phone again. But the 700wx is just a Cadillac...smooth, luxurious ride.

...and even I'm disappointed with the Foleo. All that hype/rumors for that. hmmph. I think it's a neat idea, just not that big of a deal.

I am happy with my 700wx. I admit I had a lot of issues at first, but the forums were great. Between A2DP files and Jetware, and of course, the Threaded SMS app, I love it. I think I would really consider the 6800 only cause the Square 240x240 screen of the Treo is very limiting. There are sooo many programs that I just can't use because there won't fit the Treo resolution.
    Well, I do love my 700wx guys, but I'm getting the bug for something else. I am patiently waiting for the 6800 (hell I went and got myself a cheap 6700 on a third line for giggles). I didn't think the form factor would matter... well let me tell ya something... I went to Tmobile today to see the "Wing", and wow! form factor is great! Just amazing! Its the same size as the p4000/6800 and its just a beauty. Now the 200mhz processor was complete crap and I mocked it... I think with no programs running on the demo it has 1.47 megs of program memory availavle. Obviously a memory leak on a store unit and I couldn't softreset since it's secured. At any rate, I am saying I could totally handle the form factor of the 6800 and forgo my 700wx (of course keeping it as my 3rd line phone). I would like to give the Q some time and if I had a demo of it I would gladly test drive it... I just think it might be too hard going to smartphone when all I've known is ppc.

The short of it all... I'm psyched for the 6800's form factor, but I will miss one handed operation that the Treo has... (especially one handed dialing... just typing a persons name from the today screen is the best feature ever!)