Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    I will attempt a phone exchange if only my 700wx does this. If everybody's does it I suppose I'll wait for a fix. This is a pretty serious bug to me. I get a lot of calls.

    If I am on one call long enough that the screen and key-lights go out (1 minute for dim, 2 minutes for totally dark) and another call comes in, if I ignore the incoming call (do not touch any button or do anything at all!), if the incoming caller stays on the line long enough to leave a voicemail, I get cut off from the first call. Every time! I've tested this over and over to be sure.

    Also, if I hit the right menu key with the new call comes in and select ignore, I still get cut off (no change in behavior).

    I have found NO WAY to prevent the original call from being cut off other than actually answering the incoming call!

    Anyone?

    Does yours do this? I think they probably all do.

    I would appreciate someone testing this quickly for me as I only have till the 29th (Tuesday) to deal with this within my 30-day return/exchange.

    In order to test this you will need two land-lines (or two other cells, I suppose - I have two land-lines in my house). Call to your 700wx on land-line#1 to establish a connection, wait 2 minutes for the screen to go blank, talk, to test continued connectivity, then call your 700wx from land-line#2, stay on long enough to leave a voicemail. You'll find the original call has been cut-off.

    Thank you!

    -Frank

    PS. Not to cloud the water, but, I have also found another strange occurrence, during this exercise, after the original caller gets cut off and the incoming call leaves the voicemail, if I toggle the 700wx speaker phone on/then-off, I find the original call is still connected.?!?!? However, there is no way for the remote caller to know this. The phone is dead on his end. I just was able to find this out during my testing. Weird.
  2.    #2  
    S#!t! Here's the response I got from VZW customer service. To their credit, they did answer my email query within a few hours with this (to me, unbelievable!) info.

    -----------------
    Dear Frank,

    Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

    We apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you. Unfortunately, there is no fix for the issue that you are experiencing with your palm device. This is a known issue and it is currently under investigation by PalmOne and Microsoft.

    We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

    Sincerely,

    Tammy
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    ------------------

    It is very hard for me to believe this bug has been allowed to exist this long without a fix. I mean, man! Having a call cut-off (for sure!) just because another incoming call comes in is ridiculous!

    -Frank
  3. #3  
    Tried it on my Sprint 700wx and had no such issues. The call waiting caller left a nice long voicemail and I was able to maintain my primary call the entire time. Maybe it's just an issue with vzw 700wx?
  4.    #4  
    Nothing like talking to myself

    Anyway, I got to thinking (scary!) about how toggling the speakerphone seemingly resurrecting the connection. Hmm... something to do with the speakerphone speaker logic? So... I went in and turned off the "missed call" alerts under "Sounds/Notifications" thinking that possibly the missed call alert was toggling the speakerphone logic the wrong way, automatically. Eureka! It worked!

    So... just turn off the missed call alerts and the problem does not occur.

    Also, you don't really lose any important functionality by doing this. You still hear the incoming call ring in the earpiece, you still get the screen popup showing an incoming call and who it is from, you still get the missed call window and the missed call "!" icon in the top bar of the screen. Also you still get the VM audio indicaor as well as the icon. The only thing you don't get is the missed call beep when don't answer the call. - Cool....

    I hope this helps someone else. 'Course, with my luck, I'll be chastised because I should have read this in the FAQ or something. I'll admit I didn't check that because I thought this was just too impossible to really be a "known bug". Anyway...

    -Frank
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Tried it on my Sprint 700wx and had no such issues. The call waiting caller left a nice long voicemail and I was able to maintain my primary call the entire time. Maybe it's just an issue with vzw 700wx?
    Actually it has nothing to do with the length of the VM. It only has to do with receiving a call after the phone has gone into blank-screen power saving mode while you are still on the original call. The incoming call doesn't even have to leave VM. Just stay on through all the rings.

    -Frank
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Actually it has nothing to do with the length of the VM. It only has to do with receiving a call after the phone has gone into blank-screen power saving mode while you are still on the original call. The incoming call doesn't even have to leave VM. Just stay on through all the rings.

    -Frank
    Yep I tried it both have my treo initialize the call and also having the other person initiate it. Waited over 2 minutes till the screen is black and had a third call come in. Didn't touch anything. No issues maintaining the primary call either way. I tried it 3 times. And yes I do have missed call notification set.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yep I tried it both have my treo initialize the call and also having the other person initiate it. Waited over 2 minutes till the screen is black and had a third call come in. Didn't touch anything. No issues maintaining the primary call either way. I tried it 3 times. And yes I do have missed call notification set.
    Interesting. VZW says it's a known issue with Palm/Microsoft. Beats me.

    I can reproduce this behavior consistently. It is not intermittent.

    As for potential SW conflicts, the ONLY software I have currently have loaded on my 700wx, since new, is the DST fix and Googlemaps. No other software has even been on my phone at all.

    -Frank
  8. #8  
    I also have the DST fix. It must be a bug with the vzw version of the 700wx is all I can think of. Maybe someone else that has one can perform the test to confirm or deny it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I also have the DST fix. It must be a bug with the vzw version of the 700wx is all I can think of. Maybe someone else that has one can perform the test to confirm or deny it.
    Yes, it'd be great if another VZW type could confirm.

    I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the way the missed call alert is sent through the network. I know next to nothing about that. But... like... SMS? EVDO? 1x? Does it matter if the call is 1x and the alert is EVDO? Does it matter if EVDO coverage fades in and out? Stuff like that.

    Bottom line, yes, I could see how this might be only a VZW/Palm/MS issue.

    -Frank
  10. rijc99#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #10  
    I just tested my Verizon 700WX and it did not disconnect the call.

    I have DST, missed call indicator and ALOT of other programs on my phone.

    I'd hard reset and if the problem is still there, I'd request a new phone.

    Richard
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    I just tested my Verizon 700WX and it did not disconnect the call.

    I have DST, missed call indicator and ALOT of other programs on my phone.

    I'd hard reset and if the problem is still there, I'd request a new phone.

    Richard
    Since they say it is s "known issue", I'm sure they believe it affects all VZW 700wx phones. I don't think they would replace it with the same phone under these circumstances. I don't want another kind of phone.

    Edit: Also, bugs like this can easily be influenced by a lot of other factors. Sometimes all the factors have to line up to reproduce the behavior. Example: I know it happens at the out-of-the-box settings for missed call alerts. We already know that it will not happen if you turn off missed call alerts. Maybe it wouldn't happen if you simply chose different sounds for your missed call alerts. The possibilities are endless. Perhaps this only occurs if both the original caller and the new incoming caller is listed in your contacts (my case)? Perhaps, if you have (ever) loaded SW that modifies your alert behavior, you will not be affected. Even after uninstalling such SW sometimes they leave certain registry keys in a state where the bug no longer appears. My guess is that since they say it is a "known issue", it probably is.

    Perhaps I'm being too trusting of VZW

    -Frank
    Last edited by Frankxs; 05/28/2007 at 10:34 AM.
  12.    #12  
    A little more info...

    I visited the Palm support site and find that many folks are having this same issue with the 700wx. Sprint and VZW alike.

    Here's an example post. There are quite a number of other posts complaing of this same thing.

    -----------------
    "We have 4 Sprint 700wx smart phones and they all have the same glitches. When I am on an important call and I get a call waiting if I let the waiting call go to voicemail it drops the first call that I was on. Also, when dialing a number often times the call drops after hitting the send button. We are having the same problem on 4 phones in my organization and i have had my phone replaced once with the replacement phone doing the same thing. Is this a known bug and is there a patch for it?"
    ---------------

    -Frank
  13.    #13  
    Not to belabor this point, but to conclude my efforts...

    I contacted Palm today and filed a problem report directly. I was told that they did not have any reports of this occurring. I happened to mention that their own support website was flooded with this same complaint and that Verizon had told me this was a "known issue" with Palm/MS, but the operator had no information about that. Whatever. The operator didn't have any idea of any time-frame in which I would be contacted with status, if at all.

    But, what the hey... I filed a report!

    Anyone here (besides me) old enough to know what File 13 is?

    -Frank
  14. #14  
    Frank,

    your not the only one with this problem. I have the same exact issue. I find that if I hit dismiss right away then I have a chance of avoiding the issue. I also have to hit the hang up botton which brings the screen back on, and then I have to also toggle the speaker button which brings the caller back. the caller by me also hears nothing while I am cut out.

    see this link of the first thread I found with the issue in Feb. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=120044

    I never had this problem from my first 700wx that I got in sept 06. Then certain keys on the keypad went and I got a new one through SPRINTS warranty. The new one that I got in Jan 07 has had the problem and so have the 2 replacements I have gotten since.

    I called Sprint who looked into it then in Feb and they said they had several other complaints and they went and reported the issue and the link to Palm. they got back to me a few days later and said they were informed it was expected to be corrected in around 30 days....

    I appreciate your suggestion on the fix and i'm gonna try it and let you know how it goes. Please keep this thread going for others that I am sure are having it and lets hope for a real fix.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Palm V...Handspring Treo 180...Handspring Treo 300...Palm Treo 600...Palm Treo 650...Palm Treo 700p...Bye Bye palm , Hello wm5....Palm Treo 700wx...... 800w.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Nothing like talking to myself

    Anyway, I got to thinking (scary!) about how toggling the speakerphone seemingly resurrecting the connection. Hmm... something to do with the speakerphone speaker logic? So... I went in and turned off the "missed call" alerts under "Sounds/Notifications" thinking that possibly the missed call alert was toggling the speakerphone logic the wrong way, automatically. Eureka! It worked!

    So... just turn off the missed call alerts and the problem does not occur.

    Also, you don't really lose any important functionality by doing this. You still hear the incoming call ring in the earpiece, you still get the screen popup showing an incoming call and who it is from, you still get the missed call window and the missed call "!" icon in the top bar of the screen. Also you still get the VM audio indicaor as well as the icon. The only thing you don't get is the missed call beep when don't answer the call. - Cool....

    I hope this helps someone else. 'Course, with my luck, I'll be chastised because I should have read this in the FAQ or something. I'll admit I didn't check that because I thought this was just too impossible to really be a "known bug". Anyway...

    -Frank
    Frank,

    Did you only turn off the "play sound" or did you also turn off "vibrate when ringer switch off"?
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Palm V...Handspring Treo 180...Handspring Treo 300...Palm Treo 600...Palm Treo 650...Palm Treo 700p...Bye Bye palm , Hello wm5....Palm Treo 700wx...... 800w.
  16. #16  
    For what its worth i tried it on my VZW and i had no problems
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    Frank,

    Did you only turn off the "play sound" or did you also turn off "vibrate when ringer switch off"?
    I turned of everything, play sound, vibrate and all of it. Afterward I tested it and it worked correctly and did not disconnect (or otherwise silence) the primary caller.

    I have since swapped pones due to this complaint (less than 30-day new replacement through a VZW store). I will not have the chance to test this for about 10 days. I'm on vacation right now and out of town. I know this is a real common problem. Even if the phone swap doesn't fix it I don't mind having the missed call alert turned off as a workaround. Actually, I don't like the missed call alert anyway I just knew that since I had the chance at an under 30-day swap that may fix the issue that I would kick myself later for not taking it. So I did.

    -Frank
  18. #18  
    hmm - all good for me. I tested this numerous times with my VZ wx, and the second caller (me, calling me) never caused that first caller (me, again) to get disconnected. I tested with all the scenarios as presented here, and - nope. in fact, I was curious about doing this test, after reading the thread, because I had never had any of these things happen to me, that I could recall.

    So - beats me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    hmm - all good for me. I tested this numerous times with my VZ wx, and the second caller (me, calling me) never caused that first caller (me, again) to get disconnected. I tested with all the scenarios as presented here, and - nope. in fact, I was curious about doing this test, after reading the thread, because I had never had any of these things happen to me, that I could recall.

    So - beats me.
    It has occurred to me that if you have ever had a program installed that modifies the alert behavior it might eliminate this issue. I have also sorta narrowed this down to the missed call indicator going off that causes this. But only if the initial incoming call lasts long enough that the screen goes black (by default, 2 minutes) and the next incoming call lasts long enough to leave a VM (causing the missed call alert to go off while the both callers are still on the line). As soon as the missed call indicator goes off on the second incoming call, the original call goes dead.

    -Frank
  20.    #20  
    Okay, my replacement 700wx does the same thing.

    New news: I noticed that any alert that sounds based on a disconnected call causes this. As far as I can tell there are only two. The aforementioned "missed call" alert, and now I see, also the "add this unknown caller to contacts?" alert. If I turn both of them off, the issue disappears. If either one sounds under the circumstances mentioned in my first message, the orignal call becomes dead. So, I turn them both off.

    -Frank
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions