1.    #1  
    Guys, your opinions please. I have an aircard for my laptop, and don't need instant e-mail, or messaging, on the treo.

Any can't live without apps that need net access that I should have? The main reason I got the treo, was for the pda functions of the phone.

I am a bit of a gadget nut, but for the life of me I cant come up with reason to keep the data plan.

Thanks.
    i can't live without google maps, sling mobile, sms, cnn news (when the crap works on my 700wx), and PAM cost less than data card
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    Because when you need to settle a bet at the table when you're out to dinner with your friends, it looks really silly to pull out your laptop to look something up, but grabbing for your awesome phone is way cooler and doesn't require people to move any plates they may still be eating off of.
    END OF LINE
    Because when your car breaks down and you have to sit in the waiting room while they fix it and there are no good magazines to read and there is nothing good on the TV and can't change the channel you can whip out your trusty treo and browse the web or watch a show you recorded on your DVR or watch any cable channel that you have subscribed to or read this forum.

This applies to waiting at the docters office, while your wife/gf are clothes shopping and you had to come along, while waiting in line to get your hair cut, the list goes on and on. lol
    hehehe I do that alot waiting for building inspectors that give me a hard time on finals.
    If you carry your laptop with you everywhere you go, then there's no reason to get a data plan with your Treo.

Here are some reason's why I would get a data plan:
    1. Cool factor - Much cooler pulling out a Treo than a laptop. If I saw someone pulling out a laptop in a place, such as a restaurant and it didn't look like they were in a business meeting, then I would think "GEEK".
    2. Ease/Convenience - Much easier to carry a phone around than a laptop.
    3. Speed - Unless you keep the laptop powered on and in standby, the phone is allot faster to navigate if you needed quick internet access.

When I had my Motorola Razr before and I knew that I could tether it to get internet access with my laptop, I thought it was cool. I could bring my laptop around, but then I realized, it was too cumbersome. When I switched phone (Treo 700wx) and providers (Sprint) and got a plan, which included unlimited free data access, I found myself using the Treo allot more, such as...

- I setup my push mail so I can receive email quicker/easier.
    - I'm a craigslist junkie and always looking for free stuff I could use, so I check craigslist often.
    - I recently setup a slingbox, so I now can go out watch TV shows where ever I'm at.
    - I listen to a local radio station streamed broadcast.
    - I use Google maps for directions or sometimes look for a place of business. Most of the time, I'm looking for the location of my local bank branch or a restaurant.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 05/27/2007 at 10:15 AM.
    Iíve had my 700w for over a year now with out the data plan & just like you I got it for the PDA function. I donít think Iím missing out on anything but then again, different strokes for different folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    This applies to waiting at the docters office, while your wife/gf are clothes shopping and you had to come along, while waiting in line to get your hair cut, the list goes on and on. lol
    Yup. This is worth the $30/month alone. I added MobiTV so it's $40/month. On weekend trips I just leave the laptop home now.
    If you just tether the Internet connection through the phone, you save on the cost of the aircard & its plan cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    If you carry your laptop with you everywhere you go, then there's no reason to get a data plan with your Treo.

Here are some reason's why I would get a data plan:
    1. Cool factor - Much cooler pulling out a Treo than a laptop. If I saw someone pulling out a laptop in a place, such as a restaurant and it didn't look like they were in a business meeting, then I would think "GEEK".

it would be pretty funny to see someone pull out a laptop and check a email in a restaurant. i think i would LOL.

100th post.
    Why not drop the wireless internet service on your laptop then use PDAnet to tether a connection from you phone. Then you have the best of both worlds.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks guys for your input.
    Loosing the air card is not an option for me at this time. Its a head thing but I think it would be a pain to have to always have the phone plugged in to the laptop. But I am going to give that some thought.

I'm going to give it a couple more months to see if there is something I cant live without. To be honest, every time I have tried to get on the net, the screen is so darned small, I usually end up frustrated.

Thanks again.
    Well, if you were on Verizon, I could understand why you'd want to dump the data plan.....they charge you up the wazoo for data compared to Sprint. I know this is irrelevant, but I drilled a CS rep why I should change from sprint to verizon and pay an additional $25 a month for data, his answer, "Verizon is faster and use Rev. A on the treo."
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    How about you keep the data plan, drop the aircard, and use the phone to get on the web with the laptop?
    I have a GREAT idea... Instead of dropping the Aircard, and getting used to the small screen on the Treo, drop the lap top and get a Foolio. Problem solved.
    Slingmedia alone justifies my data!!
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
    If you get a UMPC:

1. What type of phone would you get?
    2. Do you need a phone with PDA functions?
    3. Would you need a data plan on the phone?
    Rev A. on the Treo??? Are you sure?
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Went shopping in the mall the other day with the wife, damn glad I had the data plan. I had used WiFi at McDonalds for $2 a month and it sucks because you have to be at McDonalds.

Apps I use data for are mostly googlemaps and checking email on the road. Haven't gotten PDAnet yet but soon. I need to create a custome homepage of all my favorite sites on the homepage. I used Google but no real customization.