1.    #1  
    Hi there,

Is it possible to view contacts by first name first, last name last? Joe Smith instead of Smith, Joe?

Thanks
    yeh id like to know too. usually i get around this by just entering it into the company field
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Yep, just type the full name in and put a comma at the end.

Ex: John Smith,
    Or change the contact field "File As" so that it reads "First Last" on your desktop outlook and then it will change them on your treo
  5.    #5  
    well, these are contacts that were imported from an older phone and not synced with a desktop. I'm looking for a solution on the treo

Thanks
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Look at my post. This works from the contacts program installed on the device. Its a pain in the arse but it works. Plus I hate Outlook...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks WarDogg,

This will work for new contacts but not the existing ones unless I am misunderstanding you.
    Quote Originally Posted by olrmusic View Post
    well, these are contacts that were imported from an older phone and not synced with a desktop. I'm looking for a solution on the treo

Thanks
    Yeah, my new Treo was populated with entries from my LG VX 8300 in the store when I purchased the Treo. Certain concessions have to be made becuase the old phone does not support the same fields as the Treo. Heck, I was using the email fields of my old phone to enter info such as notes and addresses and directions to their location (that's why I needed a Treo ).

Anyway, I found the easiest way to "fix" the entries was using Outlook and your computer. Much faster than on the Treo. Then sync it. I did almost 400 entries like that. Luckily it's only a one time deal. I just did 50 or so ever day or so until I was done.

-Frank
  9.    #9  
    are there other contact programs that can be synced?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDogg View Post
    Yep, just type the full name in and put a comma at the end.
    Ex: John Smith,
    I'm confused, put this in which field? If I put that in the first or last name, I get "John Smith," as the name. Why not just put "John Smith" as the first name, leave the last name blank, and use it that way? The only problem is you wont be able to search by last name (if you start typing, it'll only see the first name since it's now one long name to the Treo). I hate this aspect of the Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Yeah, my new Treo was populated with entries from my LG VX 8300 in the store when I purchased the Treo. Certain concessions have to be made becuase the old phone does not support the same fields as the Treo. Heck, I was using the email fields of my old phone to enter info such as notes and addresses and directions to their location (that's why I needed a Treo ).

Anyway, I found the easiest way to "fix" the entries was using Outlook and your computer. Much faster than on the Treo. Then sync it. I did almost 400 entries like that. Luckily it's only a one time deal. I just did 50 or so ever day or so until I was done.
    -Frank
    For this, I usually sync to the desktop, doesn't matter where the contacts came from.
    -Buy treo, have store put old contacts into new Treo
    -Go home, sync to the Palm Desktop (so contacts show up on the PC now)
    -Edit each entry in Palm Desktop (kinda slow), OR:
    -Export to Comma-seperated list (CSV) from Palm Desktop, then open it in Excel and edit. You'll still have to edit things, but because I know excel well I can do some tricky things to speed up editing. Save from excel in CSV format, import back into Palm Desktop and sync with Treo. If you do this, make sure you delete old entries before importing the edited versions and make a backup!. If you dont' delete the old, you'll have both the old version and the edited version as two separate contacts. Good way to double your friends , but annoying nonetheless.

Tips for excel:
    Say you have the first 2 columns, "First Name" in column A and "Last Name" in column B with the correct names in each ("John" and "Doe" respectively). You want "First Name" to contain "John Doe" and Last Name to be blank. Insert a column at the beginning (an entire column, not just one cell) and make the formula:
    Code:
    =B2&" "&C2
    This assumes that you inserted a new column "A", and that "B" is the "First Name", "C" is the "Last Name" column, and that you're working on row #2. Now it should look like this: (- shows where each column ends)
    A - B - C
    (blank) - First Name - Last Name
    John Doe - John - Doe
    Now delete column B, and make sure the first row of the new column A is "First Name". Clear column B but make sure there is a blank column with "Last Name" at the top.

If this is too confusing, post up and I'll try to show you graphically.
    Pocket Informant 2007 gives you this option, along with a lot more.

First Last
    Last First
    File As (very nice)
    Picture List

by company
    by dept
    by city
    by state
    by country
    by category
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    There are numerous free and simple ways to do this!

1)
    Via Outlook on your computer: "FileAsSorter" Add-in for Microsoft Outlook

2)
    You can also install 1 of the 4 cabs listed HERE at XDA (you need to be registered there to download attachments)

3)
    Contacts Filer 1.0 (needs CF 2.0)

4) Contact Changer 1.3 (no CF 2.0)

etc, etc..

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter