1.    #1  
    Hi All,

First, the obligatory apology at my being a blithering noob.

So I have my 700W through Verizon working fine, although honestly I don't have a ton on it yet. For me, it was the Oultlook/Activsync aspect that sold the deal for me. Now that I have it configured correctly, I'm happy and anything else is gravy.

However, the wife is considering getting me a snazzy iPod for Father's Day, and I wanted to look into whether it's worth even trying to turn my Treo into my iPod also. I have probably 3000 songs I could put on an iPod were I to get one. Can the same be done on my Treo, and if so -- what do I need software/hardware to make it all happen properly...

Thanks in advance!!!
    1. You need a storage card big enough to hold what you want. I am not sure how big the Mini-SD's go (I have a 2gb) but most likely you won't be able to hold all your music, perhaps a subset.

2. If your music is in a format that WMP (desktop) can handle, you can use it to sync music to your Treo's storage card. You can physically copy unprotected music to your devices' card but I think it's a PIA. If your music is in iTunes protected AAC format, then you need to convert it to mp3 in order to use it with WMP.

3. Get yourself a good player on the Treo. I highly recommend PocketPlayer by Conduits. It's feature set is so much better than the standard WMP on the Treo.

I have both a 30gb iPod which I have now delegated to use in my car. In my daily usage, I use my Treo with a select subset of my music as main player. I love that I can use A2DP with my Treo 750.

HTH!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    I saw 4gb cards online. I'm not sure if that's as big as it gets or not. Of course, I know enough to know that there are issues like "write speed" and such, and that quickly moves past my knowledge threshold.

So I need a big old mini-SD card, and a player (possibly PocketPlayer). Anything else? How much music can i expect to hold on a 4gb card roughly, and does that affect the limited memory on the 700W in any way?

Thanks for the reply!!
    I could be wrong buy a 700 W is not a mini card.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I could be wrong buy a 700 W is not a mini card.
    Yep, it's regular SD. Probably some "bigger" choices there.

So I need a big old mini-SD card, and a player (possibly PocketPlayer). Anything else? How much music can i expect to hold on a 4gb card roughly, and does that affect the limited memory on the 700W in any way?
    Well, you can estimate by averaging your file sizes or just look at the capacity and music estimates of various 4gb players. Remember that the full 4gb is not accessible, probably more like 3.7gb.

The memory on your device is not affected. However, if you use your entire SD card for music, you won't be able to load applications on it. Like I said, if you are willing to go with a "subset" of music, you'll have more room and options to install applications on your SD card.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Yep, it's regular SD. Probably some "bigger" choices there.

Well, you can estimate by averaging your file sizes or just look at the capacity and music estimates of various 4gb players. Remember that the full 4gb is not accessible, probably more like 3.7gb.

The memory on your device is not affected. However, if you use your entire SD card for music, you won't be able to load applications on it. Like I said, if you are willing to go with a "subset" of music, you'll have more room and options to install applications on your SD card.
    Good point about the space on the SD card -- but then, if I wanted to, I could just keep one card for music and have all the rest of my apps run on a different card theoretically.

One other question. Can I run a version of iTunes on my Treo?
    Be careful with that multi-card solution. That could be come a PIA real fast. It would also assume that you use wmp on the treo (yuk) or you install another player on main memory.

No, Itunes doesn't exist on a wm platform. That's what the iphone is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonking View Post
    Good point about the space on the SD card -- but then, if I wanted to, I could just keep one card for music and have all the rest of my apps run on a different card theoretically.

One other question. Can I run a version of iTunes on my Treo?
    Most apps are not happy on the card imho.

Make sure your tunes have no DRM to them.

You should absolutely use your Treo as your main mp3 player. Not only can you use a stereo BT headset which you can't with an ipod, but you can also stream video with Orb or SlingBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonking View Post
    Hi All,

First, the obligatory apology at my being a blithering noob.

So I have my 700W through Verizon working fine, although honestly I don't have a ton on it yet. For me, it was the Oultlook/Activsync aspect that sold the deal for me. Now that I have it configured correctly, I'm happy and anything else is gravy.

However, the wife is considering getting me a snazzy iPod for Father's Day, and I wanted to look into whether it's worth even trying to turn my Treo into my iPod also. I have probably 3000 songs I could put on an iPod were I to get one. Can the same be done on my Treo, and if so -- what do I need software/hardware to make it all happen properly...

Thanks in advance!!!
    The Treo is nice for times when you don't have your iPod with you, but frankly it's no substitute. Sound isn't as good; user interface isn't even close.
    I keep about 200 songs on mine and a couple of movies, but it's no replacement for having 50gb worth of music and 20gb worth of movies, etc.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Most apps are not happy on the card imho.
    That's absolutely untrue. I have a ton of apps on my storage card, including my Media player. The only apps that shouldn't be installed on SD is Today screen plugins, startup apps (ie. iLauncher, task managers), and any apps that awaken the device by the press of a hardware key.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I thought about using mine as a music player too. Changed my mind and got a Zune instead. I have about 600 songs on it and uses about 6 gigs of space. Plug it in the car (I have an AUX input on the dash and a charger) and use that for tunes most of the time. No commercials and no satellite fees.

WCK
    I use my 700wx as a music player. It works quite well...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.