Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Didja know that the new Yahoo Mail beta version - yes, the free one - now has an IMAP backend, so you can set up the account access right on your 700wx? Here's the process:

Caveat - I use Verizon, and played around quite a bit with the server settings, and the ones below, which I think are the default anyway, work fine for me. If you have issues, you're on your own. I'm no server admin guy.

And yes I'll also post this in the WM Communication forum as well, but that place is a dry, dusty barren wasteland over ther.

Yahoo Mail setup on the 700wx:
    (for the free Yahoo webmail)

Starting in 'Messaging':

Select Menu/Tools/New Account

Enter your Yahoo email address.
    The device will attempt to connect to Yahoo and run the auto-configure process.
    Hit 'Next'

Enter your Name
    Enter your Yahoo User Name (also called your Yahoo ID) - this is likely already completed for you
    Enter your Yahoo password (same as you use to access your free Yahoo account)
    Check the box for 'Save Password"

Hit 'Next'

Leave these next settings as they are by default (you can change the account name from 'Yahoo IMAP' to whatever you want - ' My Yahoo', etc.

Hit 'Next'

Leave the settings for Incoming and Outgoing mail alone as well.
    Scroll down the navigator and select 'Options'.
    Make your choices here as you see fit - check for mail every X minutes, with a max of 60.
    Hit 'Next'
    If you want more mail on your device, increase the days of mail displayed setting.
    Don't check the 'Require SSL connection' box.
    Check box the 'Outgoing mail requires authentication' box.

Hit finish and you're done!

If you wish to have your Yahoo subfolders show, do this:

From the Yahoo Inbox view, select:
    Menu
    Manage Folders
    And then navigate up/down to the folders you wish to have shown on your device (hint - use the SPACE BAR to check the folder box - that way you can leave that stylus in its rightful place in the back of the device).

And if you want an email signature, do this, when in 'Messaging'
    Menu
    Tools
    Options
    Scroll down with the 5-way and select 'Signatures'
    Then select the account(s) for which you wish to set your email signatures. Follow the steps shown.

Repeat as needed for all your mail accounts.
    Did all this, can't get it to work. Dunno... Would be great, though, using the IMAP backend rather than POP... keeps asking for my password in that loop while it's logging in. I'm positive I did everything exactly as specified...
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 05/22/2007 at 07:10 AM.
    END OF LINE
  3.    #3  
    Don't know what to tell ya - works for me every time....
    worked for me too...nice find
    I just keep getting errors on connection - always asking for my password. I tried it a bunch of different ways. No luck...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    This is sweet! Got it to work on my Q too.
    Ok, I feel like an *****. What am I doing wrong? I want IMAP too...

Is everyone here on VZW or Sprint?
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 05/22/2007 at 10:48 AM.
    END OF LINE
    Got it to work. Nice! Now if only Gmail would do this.
    Sweet!!!! It works! I'm trying to configure my desktop email and Outlook to use it as well. I just wish they allow FREE email forwarding so I can use it to trigger PushEffect.

FYI, in step (2/4) under User Information, make sure you put your User Name with the @yahoo.com.

Verify server information on step (4/4) is...
    Incoming mail: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing mail: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 05/22/2007 at 10:53 AM.
    i dont know man i just followed the instructions from post 1
    eddie - that was it - I forgot about the @yahoo in the name... thanks!
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    eddie - that was it - I forgot about the @yahoo in the name... thanks!
    Cool. I had the same problem at first. It worked when I first configured one of my yahoo accounts. Then when I configured another of my yahoo accounts, it didn't work. I went back to the first one and realized I forgot the @yahoo.com in my user name for the second.

Good info JohnyMac!!!
    No go on a Cingular 750.

I have @yahoo in the username, the account type set to IMAP4, and the Incoming mail set to imap.mail.yahoo.com and the Outgoing mail set to smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com.

I keep getting the login screen when it attempts "Logging On...".
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    No go on a Cingular 750.

I have @yahoo in the username, the account type set to IMAP4, and the Incoming mail set to imap.mail.yahoo.com and the Outgoing mail set to smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com.

I keep getting the login screen when it attempts "Logging On...".
    I takes awhile to login, but make sure you have Outgoing mail requires authentication checked. Other than than, just make sure the password is correct.
    Ok, I spoke too soon. I'm having the same problem again, the one that JGold is also experiencing. I just don't know why I can't get it to login correctly...
    END OF LINE
    Yep, I had the outgoing authentification set from the beginning.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Ok, I spoke too soon. I'm having the same problem again, the one that JGold is also experiencing. I just don't know why I can't get it to login correctly...
    Could be a Yahoo thing. I tried logging in via my web browser earlier and a message displayed something about some kind of maintenance and was rerouted to regular yahoo mail. Maybe the issue you are having is due to it still being in Beta.

EDIT: I just logged in to check my Yahoo mail via my Treo and had no problems.
    Is this supposed to sync the folders? I see all of my folders but they are all empty.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Is this supposed to sync the folders? I see all of my folders but they are all empty.
    I know with as far as that is concerned, you have to select which folders to sync, as stated in the first post. But I can't actually do it, because I still can't get it to work on my phone.
    END OF LINE
    I know with as far as that is concerned, you have to select which folders to sync, as stated in the first post. But I can't actually do it, because I still can't get it to work on my phone.
    Yes that did it. As a huge plus, if you hold the stylus down over any of the folders you can select a different amount of time you want sync'd. One folder all, another folder last two days, etc. Very cool.

edited to add...and this works just fine on the W as well.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast