Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Fellow Treo'ers:

I recently got MobiTV on my 700wx and I have to say that this is one of the most useful software/services I have on my Treo. It really takes advantage of an unlimited Broadband connection. Nice to know that they profit share with Verizon, so it seems there is not much chance that Verizon would complain about usage.

I wish I had tried this earlier. I just figured the quality would stink, and I didn't realize it was live TV. The quality is fine. Audio is perfect, and it works fine with my Moto S9 headset.

Of course it matters if you like the channels they carry. For me it's a good mix.

I highly recommend MobiTV.

http://www.mobitv.com/
    It was the app killer until SlingBox came out.

Al
    Looks like VZW does the 650 and the 700p only. Not the 700wx. The price sseems okay though... 9.99... cheaper than tethering charge (i.e. $15/mo).

-Frank
    You can download from mobitv directly I believe, regardless of the phone/carrier you use.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    It was the app killer until SlingBox came out.

Al
    I thought about that, but for me I'm getting the channels I wanted, so the $120/year is easier and cheaper than the Slingbox solution.

If I needed more, I would have gone with Slingbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    I thought about that, but for me I'm getting the channels I wanted, so the $120/year is easier and cheaper than the Slingbox solution.

If I needed more, I would have gone with Slingbox.
    I am assuming that the channels you want are not available on your current cable subscription (or if you even have cable)? The cheapest slingbox is $129 which equals 1 year of your MobiTV. Paying more than one year of MobiTv already surpasses (cost wise) any Sling alternative.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    $120 per year for choppy an sometimes pre-recorded loops?
    I'm okay with Slingbox. I bought a 1st gen Slingbox at a closeout price of $79 and it's trillions better than MobiTV for my needs.
    Even before I jumped on the Slingbox wagon, I was using Orb combined with a TV tuner which was fine too.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I am assuming that the channels you want are not available on your current cable subscription (or if you even have cable)? The cheapest slingbox is $129 which equals 1 year of your MobiTV. Paying more than one year of MobiTv already surpasses (cost wise) any Sling alternative.
    I agree. Plus you are watching your subscribed cable/satelite subscription with a Slingbox, so you can watch a local news broadcast if want. With a Slingbox AV or Pro, you can control your PVR and watch your recorded shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I agree. Plus you are watching your subscribed cable/satelite subscription with a Slingbox, so you can watch a local news broadcast if want. With a Slingbox AV or Pro, you can control your PVR and watch your recorded shows.
    That is it right there. PVR access is the main reason to get a Slingbox in the first place IMO.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    There are a couple of reasons that I didn't mention in detail. I have Verizon FIOS, so I have all of the channels. I could definately use Slingbox.

I wasn't sure if the Slingbox worked with FIOS, but being able to go $10/month to try out MobiTV was advantageous. Of course I could still go and buy a Slingbox.

- Is the quality better than MobiTV?
    - Are you worried about being dumped from Unlimited Data since Sling isn't profit-sharing with Verizon?
  11.    #11  
    I also think the $29.99 for the Windows Mobile software is a rip. The viewer should be free.
    I was an early purchaser when mobile was free, but regardless I still think it is worth it. The program is priceless IMO. mobitv isn't even in the same league
    Last edited by Pattycerts; 05/21/2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    There are a couple of reasons that I didn't mention in detail. I have Verizon FIOS, so I have all of the channels. I could definately use Slingbox.

I wasn't sure if the Slingbox worked with FIOS, but being able to go $10/month to try out MobiTV was advantageous. Of course I could still go and buy a Slingbox.

- Is the quality better than MobiTV?
    - Are you worried about being dumped from Unlimited Data since Sling isn't profit-sharing with Verizon?
    I don't see any reason why a FIOS box wouldn't work with a Sling. All a Sling does is redirect video/audio signals over the web. The remote control is based on IR.

The quality is just fine. What would you expect from a 240 x 240 screen?
    What difference does it make who Verizon is profit sharing with? As long as you don't go over Verizon's BS limit of 10GB on an unlimited data plan. You would probably have to watch every day for 24 hrs to even reach that amount of data transfer.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    SLING is KING. No recurring charges. I had Sprint tv and switched to Mobi TV. Mobi was better than Sprint for me becasue of the channel selection. Mobi TV was a temporary solution until Sling came out with a Palm player (still in Beta but awesome). Now I have anything that is on my cable and the cost of the Sling is less than a year of Mobi TV. Maybe ORB is ok but Mobi and Sprint have nothing on SLING.
    slingbox plz
    I have Sling with Fios, it works, it's amazing!
    Just got my SlingPro and it's the KILLER! I agree about the Mobile software should be free, but, well...if you look around, it is
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I have Sling with Fios, it works, it's amazing!
    Cool. Thanks for the info. So it looks like I would need the following:

SlingBox Tuner: $129
    Ethernet Connection Bridge: $90
    Mobile Software: $29
    ---------------------------------
    total $248
    Ethernet connection bridge? Why don't you just get the AV and plug right into the router and (cable/Fios) box?
    If you're router is too far, then you would need the Slinglink Ethernet connection bridge. Otherwise, just plug it straight into your router. Use a long cable if you have too. If your router supports UPnP, then just plug, run the config, and you'll be watching through your Treo in no time. Otherwise, if you don't have UPnP, then you just need to configure port forwarding and such.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast