1.    #1  
    Hi all -

I've tried, and I've tried... then tried some in' more, and I CAN NOT find a way to have my treo 700wx assign different ringtones to different people who send me text messages. For example, when my girlfriend sends me a text message - I want to have it play the sound "Textbeep.mp3," but when I receive a text message from my boss, I want my phone to play "importantalert.mp3." I can not find a way to do this! I've searched for programs and haven't found anything. I know you can set individual ringtones for incoming calls from different people - but not incoming text messages. Any suggestions? ...or else I quit! Thank you in advance!

-Joe
  2.    #2  
    So I guess everyone is as clueless about this as I am... This just goes to show how disappointing the Treo can be: after spending hundreds of dollars on a device that can "do it all" - you can't find a way to have this do-it-all device perform a simple task such as this. I can't wait until the iPhone comes out...
    The program Ringo allows you to do this. Not cheap though, http://www.electricpocket.com/produc...go-mobile.html

You seem mad enough that you might just spend the 20 bucks, good luck with the non-3G "do it all" iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoldaddy View Post
    So I guess everyone is as clueless about this as I am... This just goes to show how disappointing the Treo can be: after spending hundreds of dollars on a device that can "do it all" - you can't find a way to have this do-it-all device perform a simple task such as this. I can't wait until the iPhone comes out...
    I believe mRing does this too:
    http://www.motionapps.com/mring/mring.for.wm5.jsp?ls=4

I mean all I did was use the power of Google, not too hard.

(OT, do you actually have confirmation that the iPhone can do this as well? Or are you just assuming?)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I believe mRing does this too:
    http://www.motionapps.com/mring/mring.for.wm5.jsp?ls=4

I mean all I did was use the power of Google, not too hard.

(OT, do you actually have confirmation that the iPhone can do this as well? Or are you just assuming?)
    Mal,

The iPhone is the Jesus phone... it does everything. Believe it or not, its first core feature is to walk on water.
  6.    #6  
    ...just read about software developers already coding software for the iphone - as it is the EXACT SAME operating system running on the phone as on any newer apple computer (Mac OS X). Even if the iphone doesn't support managing unique ringtones when it comes out (which is highly unlikely) - give me a half hour with Codewarrior and I'll write a program using cocoa to handle the task. Standy by: a "true" pda phone comes before August!
    ...just read about software developers already coding software for the iphone - as it is the EXACT SAME operating system running on the phone as on any newer apple computer (Mac OS X). Even if the iphone doesn't support managing unique ringtones when it comes out (which is highly unlikely) - give me a half hour with Codewarrior and I'll write a program using cocoa to handle the task. Standy by: a "true" pda phone comes before August!
    OT again..

But there is no SDK out yet and no mention of one being released. And Jobs has not decided on 3rd party apps anyways, so until they are "cleared" no point in coding as you can't get it on there.

Although coding for straight OSX is one thing, tying in the "phone" part is another (even their engineers were a bit overwhelmed). Its the same issue with WindowsMobile. I'm very doubtful you'll be able to just "code" for this. Very doubtful.

I suggest we carry this on in the iPhone thread here at TC as many of us will take umbrage at the notion that the iPhone is a "true" PDA phone.

Either way you asked a question about WM, we gave you two software options to solve your problem (after you bashed WM). So this thread should be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh
    Mal,

The iPhone is the Jesus phone... it does everything. Believe it or not, its first core feature is to walk on water.
    lmao, so true. I forgot.

8.    #8  
    You're right - this thread should be closed...
    but it's fun to talk about phones with people (since I'm surrounded by people on a day-to-day basis who don't care!)

As far as the iPhone - you're right: I'm sure it'll be more than just a simple sit down and problem solved sort of deal... in fact, I'm sure I'll have to do a little reverse engineering to find out how everything works when it comes out. I'm just looking forward to it! ...but I don't know anything more that what I've read or what everyone else has read - pure speculation.

At any rate - thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! ...now to customize my sms ringtones.
    You're right - this thread should be closed...
    but it's fun to talk about phones with people (since I'm surrounded by people on a day-to-day basis who don't care!)

As far as the iPhone - you're right: I'm sure it'll be more than just a simple sit down and problem solved sort of deal... in fact, I'm sure I'll have to do a little reverse engineering to find out how everything works when it comes out. I'm just looking forward to it! ...but I don't know anything more that what I've read or what everyone else has read - pure speculation.

At any rate - thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! ...now to customize my sms ringtones.
    Apparently, you guys weren't aware but the SDK is out already. In every MAC fanboys head. All you need to do is THINK of software and it's instantly created. Another fine feature of the JesusPhone from Cupertino.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Apparently, you guys weren't aware but the SDK is out already. In every MAC fanboys head. All you need to do is THINK of software and it's instantly created. Another fine feature of the JesusPhone from Cupertino.
    lol, okay Darth...he made his amends, got his problem solved and is just excited, no need to bash him anymore

Man...I still find it funny when people think the iPhone is the best thing ever, and it's not even out yet.
  12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Does Ringo or mRing require the program to be running in the background in order to work? Also, does it require NET 2.0 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Does Ringo or mRing require the program to be running in the background in order to work? Also, does it require NET 2.0 ?
    Ringo does not need to run in order to use system hooks, it does have a startup file but it doesn't actually run the program. And no NET 1.x -2.0 needed.

I don't know about mRing.

And Mal,

I wasn't bashing him perse but everything else people have been saying about the iPhone is quite irksome. I just wish people would get one in their hands before saying... "well I guess it's off to the iPhone for me." Huh, wha?