Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's red and green, and blinking all over?

Answer: My Treo LED, heheh

LED blink RED!
    Hmm This is not April fools day Zbop...Are you for real ?????
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Hmm This is not April fools day Zbop...Are you for real ?????
    Sling, you're absolutely right... It's not April fools day, lol.
    Post the love man...post it.
    TA 6.2 LITE BEGS YOU

I spents months trying to find red lol
    no f'n way. Way to go zbop!!!
    This is the epic day in mort history..
    Today will be known as the day the treo went red...mark it down on your TC calendars
  7.    #7  
    Post the love man...post it.
    TA 6.2 LITE BEGS YOU

I spents months trying to find red lol
    Well I can't say I spent months on it, less than a week, but I will say it was a biotch and a half, lol.

Can't post it yet, I still have some issues to resolve. It works fine on my Sprint 700wx but I'm sure I'll need to add support for the 700w and 750; the method is fairly low-level so it is very device-specific.

I might need some help with the other models to get it working.

I'm also seeing if there is anything else to pursue, i.e. solid, alternating red/green heheh.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    no f'n way. Way to go zbop!!!
    Way
    I can test it on the 750, 700wx and 700w for you. Yeah, if we can control blink on/off speed that would be da bomb! Wonder if we can even do orange?

Imagine for 3 missed calls there are 3 quick blinks and a pause in red. Then for other alerts it would use green and if we have orange it would be even better!
    hehehe I like.....hmmm orange for sms..Green would still have to be v-mail.It only makes sence
  11.    #11  
    I can test it on the 750, 700wx and 700w for you. Yeah, if we can control blink on/off speed that would be da bomb! Wonder if we can even do orange?

Imagine for 3 missed calls there are 3 quick blinks and a pause in red. Then for other alerts it would use green and if we have orange it would be even better!
    So technically, this blink is actually orange not red. They look close enough that it's kinda hard to distinguish.

In theory, it's possible to control the blink speed, but it's not available via any API. Note, it's *defined* in the WM5 API, but it doesn't work. Once again the Palm developers just punted and didn't implement it. I've found a ton of cases where they took shortcuts on the port

I might be able to find out more if I had a COMPLETE rom dump. What I'm looking at is missing some things.
    What is missing in your dump? Maybe I can help.
    I've always been a fan of solid orange for vm, fast green for email or SMS m'self...way to go!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    hmm Ive never came across a device that blinked orange for V-mail..Thinking about even more the red and orange kind of have the same shade to it inturn when you think you have red blinking missed call and may very well be a orange v-mail yet red to the eye.
    Green is the opposite of red being red missed call and green voicemail.I think that may be the logic to the green v-mail
    Last edited by slingbox; 05/20/2007 at 04:00 PM.
  15.    #15  
    What is missing in your dump? Maybe I can help.
    Halftime break

Hannip, I'm missing coredll.dll and nk.exe for starters. I think there were others, but I can't remember right now.
    This thread is not in halftime zbop it seems like a rain out hmmm Ive never seen one in football but soccer f,sure
  17.    #17  
    This thread is not in halftime zbop it seems like a rain out hmmm Ive never seen one in football but soccer f,sure
    The halftime remark was about the Spurs/Jazz game, not the thread, lol.

Rainout? It's a beautiful sunny day here in Cali, no rain in sight

I did some late night hacking yesterday, trying to make the code more portable. The previous version had an extremely slim chance of working on anything but a Sprint 700wx, the new version *might* work on the other models, we'll see.

I'll post an update later tonight once I get a chance to play with it...
    very cool Z congrats the red led find.
  19.    #19  
    If anyone is interested in the gory details, read on...

Through a lot of disassembly & scanning and a little luck, I was able to find an undocumented and hidden function buried within one of the system DLLs that also makes an undocumented call into the kernel, heheh. So the answer is: it's not a registry hack, and it's not the LED driver or LED APIs. The LED driver makes a different call, and only lets you set on or off, which is what LEDUp uses. And the code that really manipulates the LED is within the kernel itself.

To give you an idea how hairy this is, the first problem is that the "magic" function is private and does not have a symbol table entry, so I couldn't use LoadLibrary() & GetProcAddress() which is the standard way of doing run-time lookup of a function. Instead I had to call directly into the DLL using the load address of the DLL + a hardcoded offset, ughh. The second problem is that the DLL function repackages it's arguments into a complicated structure to ship off to the kernel. It takes a pointer to a structure that points to another structure that points to another structure. I don't know the last time you chased down triple-indirect pointers in assembly, but well let's just say it ain't fun unless you're a masochist, lol. So I finally figured out enough to do some experimentation, and voila I got that dang LED a-blinkin.

Now the portability issue... Calling blindly into the DLL just wasn't going to work for other Treos, so the best chance I have is to make the kernel-call directly from my code. The problem is that the DLL function isn't self-contained, so I couldn't just replicate it. Well to make a long story, a little longer, I spent late last night reverse-engineering what it does, including the other dependencies, and managed to reimplement the necessary code from the DLL. So now there's a chance that this code will actually work on other Treo 700 series IF the Palm engineers started with the same code base for all of the different platforms (WM only obviously).

Like I said, it was a biotch, lol

Now I've gotta do a little testing...
  20.    #20  
    very cool Z congrats the red led find.
    Thanks Sling.

Congrats may be premature, but keep your fingers crossed!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast