1.    #1  
    Hello Palm,

Your early adapters and purchasers of your highest end phones are still waiting for a ROM and WM6 update. I dont see why the Dash, which came out after the 750v already has WM6 as do others and the 750v does not. As well. the phone is long overdue for a ROM update to address the bugs that have been well documented. In particular, the call quality issues. Many of us now have discarded our landlines, and our Treos are the only phone we have, so it has to work.

On another note, the lack of WiFi in your phones will at some point drive customers away. It is become the norm to see people in cafes and airports using wifi routinely, and many phones have this capability, except for the Treos.

Though a Palm user since 1999, I took a brief look at an HTC device this week, given that it has WiFi. I have already moved away from the Palm OS due to the lack of progress on that platform, dont make us move away from your devices as well.

On a positive note, I really like the tweaks that you have added to Windows Mobile devices. I could see the difference when I tried another vendors WM device.

Thanks

George
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Normally, I would say Palm would need some additional extra time to customize WM6 code with its extra "sauce". However, seeing an engineering sample 750 first hand with WM6 on it I would have to say to Palm..."Whaddya waiting for?!?"
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Normally, I would say Palm would need some additional extra time to customize WM6 code with its extra "sauce". However, seeing an engineering sample 750 first hand with WM6 on it I would have to say to Palm..."Whaddya waiting for?!?"
    I have to agree. There are more important things then WiFi and the fact that this phone is 3G and we have the HSPDA hack, I am fine with that. God, WiFi would kill the battery is 20 minutes anyway.

I am more interested in higher stability and being able to see HTML in my email.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    I have it on good authority that Palm is going to be releasing an update for the Treo 750 with WM6 in the future.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Last I read from a supposedly 'reliable source' is that Cingular will be releasing the WM6 upgrade for the Treo 750 in late summer August Maybe.
    I don't know why on earth it's taking so dang long.

Palm really does need to figure out a way to get WiFi and GPS in to future models. All of the competetors have them in upcoming models, even blackberry.
    True, Wifi sucks the battery, but it's handy where there's a power source or for short times.
    Couldn't agree more - Come on Palm do the right thing for your 750 owners. I'm the one who hunted around for the hack and still hate the fact that we need it.

DO THE RIGHT THING NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Last I read from a supposedly 'reliable source' is that Cingular will be releasing the WM6 upgrade for the Treo 750 in late summer August Maybe.
    I don't know why on earth it's taking so dang long.

Palm really does need to figure out a way to get WiFi and GPS in to future models. All of the competetors have them in upcoming models, even blackberry.
    True, Wifi sucks the battery, but it's handy where there's a power source or for short times.
    That might be a tough one considering that Palm wants to consolidate their hardware platforms and shove OS'es on them. WM is more than able to accommodate WiFi, GPS, etc which is more than can be said for the patched-up-excuse-for an OS POS.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I think Palm is going to be moving to their new Linux based OS by the end of the year which should be capable of everything WM is. I think we may have seen the very last of the PalmOS phones with the 755p. With the exception of maybe one or two still about to be releaed.

So the one platform strategy would work with the new OS.

But you've got a point. Who knows?
    I agree with George.. I shopped for non-Treo phones before I purchased my 750 and I will do so again for my next smart device.. It's taking far too long to address the problems I've been experiencing since moving up to the 750... I'm sure many others who don't even post here feel the same way. It's only a matter of time before something better comes along and people like us (me) are losing faith in Palm.
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i considered buying the 750 instead of a 680... except the fact that i HATE Windows Mobile 5, made me stop in my tracks and say that i'd wait for the WM6 which I LOVE compaired to Garnet OS 5, to ship for the 750.

Still hasn't shipped, i bought my 680 4 weeks ago now. sorry Palm, this was my Treo purchase for the year. ill be waiting for nxt year now!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I agree with everything except this point:

Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    On another note, the lack of WiFi in your phones will at some point drive customers away. It is become the norm to see people in cafes and airports using wifi routinely, and many phones have this capability, except for the Treos.
    I've never purchased a smartphone with WiFi, and see no need to, actually. Yes, a great number of people use WiFi, myself included when I have my laptop handy and the WiFi is free. But a great many of places where I would use Wifi (airports, Starbucks, bookstores) will charge you for the privilege of using it.

In these cases, my 750 has more than proved its mettle by allowing me to tether. I have no need to pay for WiFi when I'm already paying a service provider to give me wireless data in areas that extend well beyond the pockets and clouds of WiFi that are out there. Not to mention that with the amount of traffic most public hotspots get, the actual speed ends up not being much better than UMTS speeds anyway.

WiFi is nice, but it doesn't solve all of our problems, and as long as I can tether, it's certainly something I can take or leave.

That said, Palm DOES need to quit fooling around and roll out HSDPA, WM6 and bug fixes for the 750. the 750s been out for a while now, and enthusiasm for the device over it's "newness" is drying up. I bought it specifically because WM6 was promised. They need to refresh it now.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    i considered buying the 750 instead of a 680... except the fact that i HATE Windows Mobile 5, made me stop in my tracks and say that i'd wait for the WM6 which I LOVE compaired to Garnet OS 5, to ship for the 750.

Still hasn't shipped, i bought my 680 4 weeks ago now. sorry Palm, this was my Treo purchase for the year. ill be waiting for nxt year now!
    I have to ask:

What is so different about WM6, but not WM5, that you LOVE it compared to Palm? HTML email?
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Certs View Post
    I have to ask:

What is so different about WM6, but not WM5, that you LOVE it compared to Palm? HTML email?
    Both POS 5 and WM5 are 5, and WM 6 is bigger than both.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Either way, it's not like Palm is BEHIND in delivering the update..yet.

Remember the time line:

MS stated wm6 would be released later this year. No dates announced, but I believe "summer" was the timeline.

MS also stated that T-Mobile would be the first to get it. The dash just came out with their update a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the update. I expect it before the end of July myself, but people see a 750 in the wild running wm6 and think that automatically means we'll get it soon. Testing is a long process, and I bet the Dash was on of the first devices MS was testing the OS on.
    From a business standpoint it would be smart if Palm releases it before the iPhone comes out. IMO
    Palm has less control over ROM updates and software patches because the company has to work with the carrier partners to roll anything out. Anything that Palm puts out has to go through the scrutiny of Cingular, Voda, and whoever they are working with, so hence the delay.
    I have a Treo 750 on Telstra's NextG network in Australia, and firstly let me say I absolutely love the Treo 750, this comes from an ex IMate JasJam user, who moved onto that phone due to it's capabilities of working as a broadband modem for the laptop. I endured this phone for a couple of months, until it broke down unrepairable, meanwhile I reverted to my old Treo 650, and marveled how well this old thing just performs as a phone, in comparison to the JasJam.

Anyway moved onto the Treo 750 after IMate could not repair the JasJam the 3rd time, until the laptop broke down, now onto a Vista Laptop.

I cannot believe the extent Palm does not support Vista, they have dropped USB as a broadband modem connection, and with Bluetooth, basically said it works but refer to the owners manual - which makes no mention of Vista.

I've just been through a couple of days of frantic Google searching looking for a way to use the 750 with the Vista laptop as a broadband modem. Bluetooth failed - although the Treo 750 acknowledges Dial Up Networking as a Bluetooth service, attempting to pair it to Vista, and Vista refuses to acknowledge this Dial Up Networking as a service. So only option left is USB, which Palm has dropped.

After the above-said frantic Google searching, all I can say is thank God I stumbled across the post from "The Solutor" for cooking up a Vista driver for the Treo 750 modem and posting it at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=137640 - today, finally, I was able to broadband surf with my Vista laptop from a remote building site using the Treo 750.

Palm - hang your heads in shame for lack of support for Vista, this OS has been out for 3 months, and you carry on like it doesn't exist for the Treo 750. This confirms the complaints in the theme of this thread - lack of support for Treo 750.

I know Palm are making inroads to using a version of Linux as the mobile OS, and I applaud that, but how hard is it to provide a Windows driver, when a 3rd party has already solved that, and posted it on Treocentral 3 months ago?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    For those of you that have been Treo owners for a while shouldn't be surprised about Palm taking a long time to release updates. Does anyone remember the GPRS update for the T-Mobile Treo 180?

I also don't care about wifi in my Treo. I had a Dash it was kinda cool, but more of a novelty. When a phone as 3G, what's the point of wifi unless you don't plan on subscribing to a data plan.

Joe
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    To clarify, it's Cingular who orders up WM6 for its customers. Palm then works with HTC (the manufacturer of the 750) to get all of the hardware-specific drivers together for the WM6 image. Then Palm will most likely be working on migrating its "special sauce" apps to WM6. Then they test it out with Cingular and finally deploy the upgrade...it will probably come from Palm.com itself but only for Cingular phones. That being said, I'd expect the 750v's will get an upgrade too since the work will have already been done for the phone and Vodafone probably placed an order too, unless they have WM6 phones in their pipeline that they wouldn't want to compete with a WM6 Treo 750v.

I agree with others that it'll likely pop out around June (iPhone time). I say this mostly because I know how much work it is to get this ROM image deployed. I think that the iPhone timing will be an incentive to finish in June, but not the deciding factor for release date.
    Handspring Visor -> Visor Edge -> Visor Neo -> Palm Treo 650 -> Treo 700wx -> Treo 750
    I guess I like their stuff....
  20. wpy
    I too have been able to use my 750 as a modem for high speed internet on my vista laptop just recently. I search the manual and the online manual but their was no instruction on how to use the 750 as a modem over bluetooth. Hehe.. funny thing is I was able to find the instuctions on the 750 itself. I click start -> help, searched for "dun" and there it was.... hehe