View Poll Results: Which Browser do you use?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opera

6 15.00%
  • Opera mini

6 15.00%
  • PIE +

11 27.50%
  • Default (microsoft IE)

17 42.50%
  1.    #1  
    I'm about to go chunk the IE that was with the treo- a few sites are limited (even with disable proxy hack)- and am wondering if pie+ or opera or opera mini will work better- Share your experiences here!
    (i.e. paypal, etc)

(I just found out about "thunderhawk")
    http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/pr...tpc/index.html

Anyone tried this?
    Last edited by aslmentor; 05/18/2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    The very few extra's that the other browsers are capable of do not make it worth their price. Netfront has the finger scrolling, which is nice, but still not worth the 20-30 bucks...

PS- It's not PIE that sets the proxy, its the Windows connection settings. So the problems you have that re proxy-related will not be fixed w/a 3rd-party browser.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I like PIE+ with 'save as' and opening additional windows.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    PIEPlus is just an add on functionality-wise to the PIE engine. If sites are not working using PIE, they probably won't work using PIEPlus. The only thing that PIEPlus offers which might help is the ability to change the browser type (IE6, etc), but the same can be achieved using a reg hack.

That being said, I tried Opera 8.60 and 8.65 and found it to be fast but not reliable. Both on a KJAM and Treo, it would blow up from time to time complaining about available resources. Plus, I prefer PIE's favorites where you can select a favorite by pressing a letter key of the site favorite you want to select.

PIEPlus for me!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    opera mini! i love it! it compresses pages and pics and loads them thru its own server and comes back to you fast! love opera mini!
    I use all of them except PIEPlus.
    I use IE, Opera Mobile, and Opera Mini.
    Opera Mobile the least, IE and Mini themost.
    What's the difference between Opera and Opera Mini? I used Opera Mini on my 650, which was extremely buggy and crashed unless I closed all other apps.

IE won't display quite a few pages, which reminds me of the 650 default browser, whose name escapes me at the moment. Hmm...

It's almost like IE and Firefox. I only use IE when a site for some reason only accepts IE, which is almost never.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    browser for the 650 is blazer i believe.
    I switched from IE that the 750 came with to Opera Mini because I needed to have access to PayPal, Google Adwords/Adsense, etcetera and other things. I could never login with IE.
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    I switched from IE that the 750 came with to Opera Mini because I needed to have access to PayPal, Google Adwords/Adsense, etcetera and other things. I could never login with IE.
    Did you try disabling the proxy?
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/disableproxy/
    I don't know for sure this is your problem, but site login is one of the problems with that dang proxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    What's the difference between Opera and Opera Mini? I used Opera Mini on my 650, which was extremely buggy and crashed unless I closed all other apps.

IE won't display quite a few pages, which reminds me of the 650 default browser, whose name escapes me at the moment. Hmm...

It's almost like IE and Firefox. I only use IE when a site for some reason only accepts IE, which is almost never.
    Opera (Mobile) is a full web browser like IE.
    It'll access most pages, even a lot that IE won't. It's one of the best ones out there. Netfront by Access may be better, not sure. But Opera Mobile is a leader.

Opera Mini is a small footprint web browser that's exclusively in Java (not native code for the OS.) It runs on all phones that support Java.
    What's special about it is that the pages are downloaded by a server that reduces image sizes and reformats pages. Then the browser downloads the reduced web pages.
    It solves a lot of browser compatibility issues with web site (because the server takes care of a lot of this) and pages download much much faster because they don't have to be rendered on the phone and because they're smaller downloads.
    But it does make web pages look different... it's not a silver bullet that you can just throw out all other browsers, but it's a great tool for the arsenal.

I tend to use Opeara Mini the most because I don't have to worry about the size or complexity of web pages. They all load very fast because it reduced them.

The reason it crashedo on the 650 has less to do with Opera Mini and more to do with the Treo 650. The Treo 650 has some big memory management problem. As a result IBM Java emulator crashes very easily, especially with Opera Mini.

But Opera Mini works great on WM Phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Opera (Mobile) is a full web browser like IE.
    It'll access most pages, even a lot that IE won't. It's one of the best ones out there. Netfront by Access may be better, not sure. But Opera Mobile is a leader.

Opera Mini is a small footprint web browser that's exclusively in Java (not native code for the OS.) It runs on all phones that support Java.
    What's special about it is that the pages are downloaded by a server that reduces image sizes and reformats pages. Then the browser downloads the reduced web pages.
    It solves a lot of browser compatibility issues with web site (because the server takes care of a lot of this) and pages download much much faster because they don't have to be rendered on the phone and because they're smaller downloads.
    But it does make web pages look different... it's not a silver bullet that you can just throw out all other browsers, but it's a great tool for the arsenal.

I tend to use Opeara Mini the most because I don't have to worry about the size or complexity of web pages. They all load very fast because it reduced them.

The reason it crashedo on the 650 has less to do with Opera Mini and more to do with the Treo 650. The Treo 650 has some big memory management problem. As a result IBM Java emulator crashes very easily, especially with Opera Mini.

But Opera Mini works great on WM Phones.
    Cool, thanks for the info, bro. I shall download both and see what's what.
    I vote none of the above.

I've been using Deepfish.
    Apple iPhone, BlackBerry 8800 and a Treo 750 on the "new" at&t. Palm Centro on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    I vote none of the above.

I've been using Deepfish.
    Wow. Deepfish is so limited now, that it almost doesn't make sense to use for anything but static web pages.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Has anyone tried minimo.2?
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/
    I hated minimo when I used it, too big and slow. I thought it was terrible actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Certs View Post
    I hated minimo when I used it, too big and slow. I thought it was terrible actually.
    ^---- What she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    ^---- What she said.
    SHE?

LOL... Its my nickname, one word, my name's not Patty lol
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ^^^what they said