1.    #1  
    I had someone in my contacts (let's say John Doe) whose phone number I entered incuding the prefix *82 to release my number (I have caller ID block on my phone, so I must "release" my number on a per call basis).

He sent me a text message... which I responded to. He never got it.

I realized that the problem was the text message was being sent to
    821-212-5551 (when it SHOULD Have gone to 212-555-1212).

Okay, so problem solved I thought. I changed the contact entry.

Still, the message was sent including an 82 at the beginning. So it was not received.

I went so far as to remove any "John Doe" listing from my phonebook and replaced it with "JDoeText"

Even though there is no "John Doe" listing in my contacts list... when I send or receive a mssg from him the name at the top reads "John Doe".

I've even deleted all texts from him in the past.

I must MANUALLY respond to each message by typing it in as a new mssg in order to ensure he receives it.

Any ideas?
    There is a similar thread on this recently.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo2000 View Post
    I had someone in my contacts (let's say John Doe) whose phone number I entered incuding the prefix *82 to release my number (I have caller ID block on my phone, so I must "release" my number on a per call basis).

He sent me a text message... which I responded to. He never got it.

I realized that the problem was the text message was being sent to
    821-212-5551 (when it SHOULD Have gone to 212-555-1212).

Okay, so problem solved I thought. I changed the contact entry.

Still, the message was sent including an 82 at the beginning. So it was not received.

I went so far as to remove any "John Doe" listing from my phonebook and replaced it with "JDoeText"

Even though there is no "John Doe" listing in my contacts list... when I send or receive a mssg from him the name at the top reads "John Doe".

I've even deleted all texts from him in the past.

I must MANUALLY respond to each message by typing it in as a new mssg in order to ensure he receives it.

Any ideas?
    I had a similar problem with my wife's mobile phone and text messages. Some how her number was in my phone in memory without her area code. Whenever I replied to her text messages they did not go through even though I now had her number in with the area code. I spent time with Cingular support and never got anywhere. Eventually I did a hard reset on the phone. I then had her text me a message and I replied it worked fine.

The good news is that even though a hard reset is a pain, if you know in advance you are going to do one you can save everything on your PC and get the Treo back the way it was pretty easily--at least in my case.

I am not sure what happens but it seems like the Treo hangs onto that "bad" telephone number forever, even if you update it so my advice is make sure the first time you reply to a text or enter a text number you have the full area code and number. I think my problem was that my wife's number originally did not include her area code in my contact information because we are in the same area code so dialing is not affected but for some reason the text needed all the numbers.

At least there is a fix, although not an easy one.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  4.    #4  
    Well... I'm relieved to hear there is a fix. But I'm a new 750 owner (had a 650 for years) and I've never done a hard reset.

What will I lose by doing a hard reset?

Will I need to re-install programs? Re-REGISTER programs? Will my photos and documents need to be re-saved (maybe to my card)?

I'm not sure if this info is saved on my PC when I sync...

Thanks, by the way! This was really frustrating.
  5.    #5  
    I guess what I'm asking is... what do you lose with a hard reset?
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    You lose everything in the phone's memory. This includes programs, pics, music etc. Unless you have these saved to a memory card or to the computer. It basically puts your device to factory specs.
  7.    #7  
    I know that when I would do a hard-reset on my PalmOS device (treo 650) the previously installed programs would automatically be re-installed. Is that not the case?
    I recently did a hard reset on my Treo 750 (took the SD card out first, just in case...) and lost all preferences, email account info., individually assigned ringtones, and add on programs (Google maps, time change update, e-books, Splash ID, etc...) that were in the main memory.
    I had to reload each program with passwords (luckily I saved those passwords on my Treo 650 that I keep as a back up device).
    Save everything before doing a hard reset, and be prepared to re-enter some things that do not come back automatically....