Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Switched Sony VAIO over to Vista. Generally no problems, many uppers. But stuck getting Treo to go. WMDC won't launch, and I spot on the uSoft troubleshooting list that one should uninstall the "Microsoft USB sync" driver under the "Mobil Devices" section of Driver Manager. The problem is I do not have an entry for Mobile Devices and therefore no USB sync driver either. Google taking me around in circles, and no hits here. I think this keep me from doing a USB step, which uSoft says to do first to kick start WMDC; when I plug in the USB cable I can see the network entry pop into the device driver list, so the connection is there, just no driver.

Mike
    Mike Caldwell
  2.    #2  
    Cannot get WMDC to launch from within Control Panel. Double click = nothing, but with a right click and "Open" I get "waiting for device to connect". Both USB and BT are checked, and have tried with both but in both cases WMDC does not recognize a connection.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WMDC Update several times. Is there a version prior to Update that needs to be installed first? If so, where is it? Desparate: I have no way to connect Treo to PC.

Mike
    Mike Caldwell
    Try (on the phone) start-settings-connections- USB to PC-

uncheck the box, or check it if it is not. Fiddle with that a little.
    have you tried disabling the User Access Control? could this be preventing you from installing the drivers. For me the drivers automatically installed, but the first thing i did upon booting vista was turn UAC off.
  5.    #5  
    Ronin: UAC turned off since first installing Vista.

Patty: big improvement! I looked, I unchecked it, and got the tone plus Mobile Device now shows up in my Device Manager list. But, the USB network controller disappeared! Traded one for the other I guess. WMDC in the control panel now says connected, but I don't know quite what to do next. uSoft implies it will all just pop up when I plug in the USB, but it doesn't. I open Windows Mobility Center and try to establish a sync relationship, but it appears to be for the purpose of sync'ing the VAIO to an Outlook Exchange server.

So, now I'm looking to get the USB network controller back on the list, and some directions of how to kick start this since it's not going forward on its own.

Mike
    Mike Caldwell
  6.    #6  
    This is getting worse. Check the "USB connection" on Connections one way and I get the Microsoft USB under Network Cards; the other way I get "Mobile Devices", but they are mutually exclusive.

So did a Restore back to before installing WMDC at all, started over, and now I get "Unrecongized USB device" no matter what. Palm sent me to CNG. CNG back to Palm. Finally Palm said it was just too difficult, so sent me to uSoft, who wants $59 to talk to me and no guarantee because the Vista is OEM (retro'd by Sony), and Sony, of course, sees it as a Microsoft or Palm issue. I'm in an endless finger pointing circle, getting nowhere.

Help!!!!!
    Mike Caldwell
    Did you UNINSTALL the version that comes with Vista and download WMDC 6 from Microsoft's website. All my problems were solved when I did that.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

8.    #8  
    Can't see the version number because it won't run at all; just an icon taking up space under Control Panel. But I got the file I installed just a few days ago, so assume it is most current. A few things have bothered me all along, such as the downloaded file is called "update", but I never had an origina file to update. Some updates are complete replacements, but if this thing is just a patch then perhaps I'm missing a target collection of files to be updated. Now you mention uninstalling the version "that comes with Vista", but I am unaware of anything that came with Vista. I never had anything about WMDC until I installed the Update. Am I missing something?
    Mike Caldwell
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike View Post
    Can't see the version number because it won't run at all; just an icon taking up space under Control Panel. But I got the file I installed just a few days ago, so assume it is most current. A few things have bothered me all along, such as the downloaded file is called "update", but I never had an origina file to update. Some updates are complete replacements, but if this thing is just a patch then perhaps I'm missing a target collection of files to be updated. Now you mention uninstalling the version "that comes with Vista", but I am unaware of anything that came with Vista. I never had anything about WMDC until I installed the Update. Am I missing something?
    I believe there is a version that comes with Vista, but you can only see it in the Control Panel. I may be wrong, I don't remember, but as long as you install the version that is on MS's Windows Mobile homepage you should be fine. I never had a sync issue w/Vista, but I do not sync contacts/email/notes/tasks/calendar with it
  10.    #10  
    Right now I'm totally dead. All I have in Control Panel is a WMDC icon that does nothing when launched. I have an image of this drive that was made immediately after installing Vista and activating; nothing else installed except the ghosting software. I'm going to image back to that version and see if that works. If so, something downstream barfed it.
    Mike Caldwell
    Are you sure you downloaded the 32bit (or 64bit I guess if you are using a 64bit CPU) version? Here's a link to the proper WMDC for 32 bit CPU's:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Something seems terribly wrong with your install. I would start over
  12.    #12  
    Yep, right one. Gonna reimage tonight, and report success tomorrow!
    Mike Caldwell
    I tried Vista for about 2 weeks. I finally reverted back to XP. I didn't think they could make ActiveSync worse, but they did just that with the WMDC.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Im using WMDC on Vista Home Premium, and its not too bad. Havent really had any problems. It was easy to add and sync another device I was testing. However, I do very basic syncing, no media or email

I dont know if it makes a difference that I did a clean install of Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I tried Vista for about 2 weeks. I finally reverted back to XP. I didn't think they could make ActiveSync worse, but they did just that with the WMDC.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  15.    #15  
    I don't have poor performance, I have nothing. Cannot connect, USB or BT. I even ghosted back to a Vista only C: version (no apps, etc), and no difference. Mostly WMDC does nothing. Sometimes I get the splash, but it says not connected so won't then do anything. Been through all of the restart/reset/plug in/plug out/cold boot/resinstall I can think of. I get back to the situation of I can have a Mobil Device in Device Manager or the uSoft WMDC Network Adapter, but not both at the same time. Looking more an more like a Sony problem.
    Mike Caldwell
    If you have a clean image of Vista re-image that back to your hard drive, then connect your Treo and run Windows update. Windows update should download the correct WMDC for you. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I totally disagree. I think WMDC's integration into Vista is great. It's worked for me since the first time I i used WDMC. I had two phones (the 8525 and the I one I have obviously, the Treo 750---same result! I was actually surprised at how easily and straight forward it is and again, the integration into Vista OS.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

oldmike.

I also have a SONY [VAIO VGN-UX280P] with Vista Home Premium and WMDC [downloaded not the in built one] sync works when I use BT and USB, syncing media fails after a few songs though [known WMDC issue], sometimes I need to SR my Treo for the sync to start/work. For me having enhanced usb functionality OFF works better though. YMMV.
    --
    have you tried other usb ports?
    have you tried a clean treo? [backup first]
    --
    hope you get this working bro.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Mike,
    I was having all the same problems when I went to Vista. I tried everything under the sun.

It ended up that my firewall was blocking it. I use Onecare (insert Newb Comment here), but any third part firewall blocks it until a rule is defined that allows it.

Try turning off your firewall, even the built in one in Vista and see if that helps.

Tripp
  20.    #20  
    Don't see what more I can do short. Went to an image of Vista that was right out of the box. Downloaded the WMDC from uSoft, even installed from the site not local file. Have turned firewall totally off with every option in site. No matter what, I keep coming back to the same issue: I either get "Mobile device" or "uSoft network adapter" on my device list, but not both. The difference is whether or not I have the "Advance USB" selected on the Treo. So clearly they see each other, just won't pass data. My thinking is that it is strictly a Vista issue, but since that toggle seems to matter, perhaps not. So, I have little extra on my Treo, so may just to the Real_Cold_Reboot and start over. With my PCs I am faithful to have all apps on C:, all data on D:, and make images of C: This is my opportunity to do the same with Treo. Suggestions of imaging software?
    Mike Caldwell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast