Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Has anyone used this program for GPS tracking? I found this website http://3dtracking.net/ and it apparently this free software will track your route if you have a gps receiver connected and upload it to their server for you to view either live or at a later time on google maps or google earth. Just wondering if anyone here has used it and what they thought of it. I'm going to install it when I get home from work and check it out so If no one has used it I'll report back as to how it is.
    Um....Google maps connects to a bluetooth GPS and tracks you live.
    The software isn't free. There is a free trial for it though.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    yeah i also use google maps on a daily basis...and its free...the gps will track you live..as long as you have a bt receiver...
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    The software isn't free. There is a free trial for it though.
    Google maps is free.
    Doesn't Google maps require an open data connection? That is not free - even if you don't pay Google directly.

I've noticed bluetooth GPS receivers for as little as 36 quid on amazon. If I get that what else do I need to track my position without requiring an open data connection. Tom tom software and maps on an mini-SD card? What's the cheapest option that has a reasonable quality?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Google maps is free.
    No, I meant the software http://3dtracking.net/ that the original poster had referenced. Not Google Maps. Yes, I know Google Maps is free, just requires a data connection.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    sorry trojan, and rich what is an open data conn...dont you have a data plan...unlimited at that...if so than google maps and a bt receiver is the cheapest way to go...as you would say a poormans gps...

Google maps = free
    BT receiver anywhere from $70 -150
    internet connection = whatever your price is

PRICELESS....lol
    There are no unlimited data connections that work on a 750 in the UK.
    As my other posting states the 750v on Vodafone is about to be offered 20Mb a day for 7.50 per month.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    Doesn't Google maps require an open data connection? That is not free - even if you don't pay Google directly.

I've noticed bluetooth GPS receivers for as little as 36 quid on amazon. If I get that what else do I need to track my position without requiring an open data connection. Tom tom software and maps on an mini-SD card? What's the cheapest option that has a reasonable quality?
    I personally use TomTom 6 on a miniSD card. iGo is going to release updated software for Europe--that might be another option. TomTom doesn't use data unless you use their plus services for traffic and weather, etc.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Actually the software is free it looks like there are two different versions the one you have to pay for and then this one http://free.3dtracking.net/home.aspx. And I have google maps and use it but what I ment by tracking is it will actually track where you have been so you can view it at a later time and then shows your route on google maps. I would like to use it for when I run so that I can go back and see how many miles I ran and the speed I ran at. Im not aware that google maps can do that.

You have to create an account on their site and then download the software and login from your treo but for some reason I cant get it to pick up my gps device so I havent been able to get it to work. Kinda lame because it looks like it would be pretty cool. You can set it to upload your position every 10 sec to an hour or just do it manually at the end of your route for reviewing this way would save your battery as it doesnt have to connect to the internet but once. Let me know if anyone knows of any software that does this kind of tracking or if anyone is able to get this to work.
    I am sorry but I cant find how to make my bt receiver work with google maps on my treo 650, I cant find the option for gps anywhere...
    Help?
    Thanks

Edit) I didnt realize I was in the 750 area as I found this through a search and didnt look at the topic location.. Sorry.. The gps thing prolly isnt an option on my treo...
    the Palm OS version of Google Maps doesn't have a GPS function, natively. You have to use a Palm OS freeware app called 'Where Am I' that will grab your coordinates from a GPS receiver, and 'tell' Google Maps where you are. Kind of a kluge, but it does work.

The WinMo version of Google Maps has GPS function built in - I've been using it for quite a while and it's very nice.
    Thanks, I will try.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So anyone know of a good program for tracking your routes with a gps reciever and maybe google maps?