Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I am looking for an app that can identify a song on the radio. I know cingular has something like this on some of there multimedia phones. I was hoping that there was a couple app's out there that I could try. thanks.
    try yes.com
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    thanks for the reply. that might help. but I was hoping more for an program that i could use that would search a database for me. thanks though.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I think I heard of a company in England called Shazam that finds songs in a database.
    well what i always do is try to get a line of the lyrics and google it... you'll come up with a lyric page and that'll obviously have the name of the song... now if you're listening to intrumental or dance music- you're out of luck...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    thanks kenundrum, yeah thats what I do right now. But I figured since cingular has this feature on there phones, I was hoping that there would be some sort of app out there, where I could just put the phone up to the speaker and have it do some recognition then give me the song. shazam does do this but it dials a number then text you the song info if they can find it. so not only do you have to pay for the text if you dont have text, it will deduct from your min. and you have to pay them for the service. So that one would be a big no. Oh well, thanks for trying guys.
    replay audio automatically records internet audio and fills in artist & song info and then automatically dumps it into iTunes. It also automatically separates the tracks or can leave it as one long input which is useful for talk programming or concerts.
    It works reasonably well and probably gets song info 30% of the time I record from YahooMusic. Otherwise it just lists the song as untitled.
    I leave it recording over night, then go in and delete the untitled songs. Voila.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    You hold up your cell phone in an area where music is playing. Somehow they have an algorithm that figures out what song it is. I was reading about this in Red Herring magazine about a year ago. Then you can pay to download the song to your cell phone or have them e-mail it to you of course for a price. Is that the type of thing you are looking for?

http://www.shazam.com/music/portal
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    sorry I just noticed where some of the confusion might be coming from. the title of the thread was supposed to say app not ip. I am looking for a program for my 700wx that will use my internet/wap connection to search a database and give me the artist title of a song. the shazam thing looks close but I was hoping for an program that I would only have to pay for once.

shazam wont work because of the overall cost of the whole thing and the fact that it only works in the uk wont help me since im in southern california.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    OK. thanks for explaining.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I just found these, not really what i was looking for similar to shazam but for the U.S. I haven't tried them yet so don't even now if they really work. But do a google search for musicphone(music id by music phone is what cingular uses, not sure if it works on sprint). you just dial #ID(43) and put your phone up the speaker then they send you a text with the info, $.99 for the service. another one that seems a little more reasonable but again dont know how good it is, is 411song. You dial there number and same thing, same price, except they say it works on all major carriers, and they have a 3.99 a month for unlimited option. also if you have tmobile you just dial #song.

Well I know there are programs for the computer that do this and just use the internet, so no real fee except to purchas the software and im sure there are free version as well. So hopefully someday somebody will make something like this that can be put on my ppc, that will just use the internet connection. oh well, thanks for all the help, ill let you know if ever do find this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Just an update if anybody is interested.

I found that if you have verizon they have vcast songid which is free.
    If you have cingular you use musicid / #ID from handset which cost a buck.

if you have a sony phone, not sure if it has to be unbranded or not, i think it might be. there is a built in feature called trackid which uses the phones internet to find the song. so as long as you have unlimited interent its free.

well searching the hofo forum somebody had a link to this which is an online version that you input an amr file and it goes through gracenote which is the same one sony phones use.

http://msrprod.extranet.sonyericsson.com/mrec/

I tried it with mp3/wav/amr so far it worked with a low quality amr 8000hz as apposed to 16000hz which were my only two options in the trail amr converter i was using. I tried using the notes recorder on the phone but that generates a wave and that didnt work. neither did any short mp3 i tried. but if anybody is interested it does look like it tries to figure it out but can't, hard to say because it responds in another language. just to note though it did work with the 8000hz amr file.

So now my goal and maybe somebody out there can help me with this is to find an extremely basic voice recorder /notes/memo program that will let me output the file as amr. then I can use that file and easily upload it using opera or just he pocket ie and have a good working solution that won't cost me a monthly or single use fee. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.