1.    #1  
    Just discovered something quite concerning tonight. Had a friend call up and after 2 rings on his end, my Treo 700W began to ring.....and at that very point he could ALSO hear people/noises in my living room, and even the buzzing of the phone vibrating on my end table while my phone was ringing and I never touched it!!!!

This is not an autoanswer - the phone is actually ringing while this takes place, which I verified myself from my own phone. A soft reset resolved it, however I of course wonder when else this could have happened.

This has got to be one of the all time worst bugs I've ever seen. I cringe at the thought of something I might by chance say when a call is coming through that I don't intend for the caller to hear.

Anyone seen this, or by chance have a resolution?
    oh crap, all those times I said, "it's work they can go to he!!"

Wow this could be very bad.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    BT speakerphone or headset with auto answer?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    BT speakerphone or headset with auto answer?
    Nope. And with this problem, the phone never actually answers. It continues to ring WHILE the caller is listening to everything in the room including the vibration of the phone ringing on the table. When this occurs, the phone will never kick to voicemail - it'll just keep ringing and rining until the caller decides they don't wanna listen in anymore and hang up.
  5.    #5  
    WARNING - venting rant below:

I figured I'd take a crack at calling Verizon support. I don't know why, as I've only received any worthwhile help from them MAYBE once in probably a dozen or more calls in the past......and of course this time I get the hard reset rundown.

So let's look at how much sense this makes - the issue I describe below happened to me only once that I could confirm, and maybe a second time prior as I recall a friend describing something similar a month or 2 ago that I simply dismissed as me accidentily picking up the phone.

I'm supposed to hard reset the phone, and NOT install any additional applications while I wait for the issue to reoccur. So in other words, I'm supposed to take a $300 phone, and hinder myself by using it for limited functionality that a $50 phone probably could have gotten me (aka without my productivity apps)........for god knows how long (weeks? months? a year?) until the issue MAYBE reproduces itself. And even then, I may not even know it occurs unless the caller is kind enough to tell me.

Does Microsoft tell you to reload Windows from scratch and not install ANY additional apps for as long as needed to reproduce an issue with their product.....and then who knows what else to actually resolve the problem????
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'd call and say it happened again then ask for an warranty exchange... tell them that you are a business litigation attorney and now that you have made them aware of the problem, if confidential information gets out to the opposing party's attorney and your clients' case is compromised, you will sue. If they still will not send you a phone, I'd take the hit and declare the phone as having water damage and paying the deductible to get a replacement (assuming you have insurance). Something like this could potentially cost you much more than whatever you have to pay to get a working phone. Good luck.

I wonder how many of us have this problem but just have not been told by callers.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    Something like this could potentially cost you much more than whatever you have to pay to get a working phone.
    100% correct.

Sound advise on the lawyer idea, I think I may give that a whirl. The other option I'm entertaining is trying escalate within Verizon or Palm (verizon tech got same response from Palm on troubleshooting approach) and attempting to convince them to see how ridiculous the troubleshooting approach is, regardless if that's their typical "rule this out first" method. Just not terribly optimistic that my time's well spent going down that path.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Just thought I'd let you i on a secret. Palm and Verizon only know how to tell you to Hard Reset your phone. They really don't have troubleshoot skills. Oh and don't you dare think you know more about the phone that you play with on a daily basis and figure out how to tweak. PALM AND VERIZON SUCK ON THIS ISSUE AND MANY MORE.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    FYI. I'm not a lawyer, (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) but, as attorneys are officers of the court, posing as a lawyer is a crime in many, if not all jurisdictions. I find that if I'm willing to sit and wait for them to check out my phone in the Sprint store, they will almost always say they can't find my problem and order me a replacement phone. If I simply try and call, they'll give me the hard reset runaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas View Post
    FYI. I'm not a lawyer, (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) but, as attorneys are officers of the court, posing as a lawyer is a crime in many, if not all jurisdictions. I find that if I'm willing to sit and wait for them to check out my phone in the Sprint store, they will almost always say they can't find my problem and order me a replacement phone. If I simply try and call, they'll give me the hard reset runaround.
    He could tell them he's Jimmy Hoffa. I don't think VZW tech support would really care one way or the other. lol.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Well, just tell them you work for an attorney.

BTW. I am an attorney. What is prohibited is practicing law if you are not an attorney. A few states prohibit non-attorneys to falsely hold themselves to the public as an attorney. But this is mostly to make sure you are not trying to practice law without a bar card.

The main issue is whether you are practicing law or not. If you are not, you should be fine. I get people telling me they are attorneys all the time. Just make sure you DO NOT engage in what could be considered practicing law. BUT check with your state if you are worried.

What you are thinking of is law enforcement officer. You CANNOT impersonate a law enforcement officer.

**Standard disclaimer applies. This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been established. Consult an attorney that practices in your state for final advice. Etc.**