Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Certs View Post
    I don't think the wx is an HTC device, but for now I will trust your statement. You seem to know your stuff

Regardless, when the 750 resets it is similar to the 8525, it has a "bootloader" that is loaded by holding the side button when resetting. Identical to other htc bootloaders. The wx doesn't have this, so "hacking the bootloader to accept unsigned ROM's" seems impossible.

And there was an update to the 700w for verizon when they added AUTD, and no one cracked it. Not going to be easy...
    Sorry I didn't see your response or I would have responded earlier. HTC manufactured the 700wx as well as the 700p (as a matter of fact, I believe they have manufactured every Treo since the 650). They didn't develop it though, that was Palm's doing. You are correct that the 700W did have a ROM update, but no one was interested enough to reverse engineer that (i.e. CDMA, its of no interest to XDA). Now, I agree that it won't be an easy task without someone from XDA who wants to help out... but there is the possibility that it will work, I believe that the two devices are similar enough to figure out BL methods. Again, I doubt we will ever see WM6 entirely on the WX unless its specifically released for it (VERY doubtful).
    I have a $print Treo 700w and I am hoping for a rom upgrade as well. There really is no reason I can see that $pint can not do this. However if you can upgrade your existing $print Treo 700w/wx then more people would be getting what they expect customer service and upgrades. $print does not however care about current customers, hell you have a two year contract already. They want you to buy the new phone that has WM6 and stick it to you for that. But you can not do it or get a rebate if you do it before the 18 monthes Tell me whether I use this phone or another phone you arestill getting my service money right. Like all cell companies $crew the current customers and lower employees so the upper management can get that newer bigger yaht or Merceed's (sp) car. Just my thought on why you will not see the upgrade. It seems fair for us and not for them simple simple co$t of doing business.
    I am new and probably na´ve...but if there is a WM6...couldn't we go to Windows website and download upgrade ourself? Just like you could do on your computer, no matter what the brand? Any explanations would be appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyhauff View Post
    I am new and probably na´ve...but if there is a WM6...couldn't we go to Windows website and download upgrade ourself? Just like you could do on your computer, no matter what the brand? Any explanations would be appreciated. Thanks
    Unfortunately not. For Windows Mobile, the OS has to be customized for the particular device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I highly doubt Sprint, Verizon or any cell company will upgrade unless people riot or they are forced to by law, say if WM5 has some major flaw especailly when they just released a WM6 device. They will lose profit and PROFIT is everything for them.

Also I am not sure if this is true I read it on a blog/Forum I don't know the difference other then that people can say whatever they want.
    1. WM6 cant work on Treo 700WX because the 240x240 screen is not compatible or something like that.
    2. There maybe a new Treo called the 800 in the coming months.

Again I am not sure if any of this is true I am just passing the rumor.
    So I say NO
    Quote Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
    I highly doubt Sprint, Verizon or any cell company will upgrade unless people riot or they are forced to by law, say if WM5 has some major flaw especailly when they just released a WM6 device. They will lose profit and PROFIT is everything for them.

Also I am not sure if this is true I read it on a blog/Forum I don't know the difference other then that people can say whatever they want.
    1. WM6 cant work on Treo 700WX because the 240x240 screen is not compatible or something like that.

So I say NO
    Rumor #1 is patently false. WM6 does the same resolutions as WM5 and more.

Rumor #2 is just that, a rumor. Yes, presumably Palm will come out with an updated 700wx, but it's too early to tell.

Like I've said earlier, there has not been a Maintenance Release (MR) for the 700wx yet and every device with Sprint almost always gets one. So until we get one, it can't be ruled out. Throw in the iPhone hoopla and Sprint/Verizon may go an extra step to keep customers. Just wait and see.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by integra144 View Post

So I say NO
    A quick look at the WM6 SDK...

Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK
    • Windows Mobile 6 Classic (240x320 pixels - 96 dpi)
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional (240x320 pixels - 96 dpi)
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional Square (240x240 pixels - 96 dpi)
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional Square QVGA (320x320 pixels - 128 dpi)
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional Square VGA (480x480 pixels - 192 dpi)
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional VGA (480x640 pixels - 192 dpi)
    oops my bad thanks for clarifying the facts for me Malatesta and StealthyC.
    Dumb question:

Do you update WM5 to WM6 the same way someone would. . . say. . . update WindowsXP to Vista - or do you have to get all new hardware to be able to have WM6 installed?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post
    Dumb question:

Do you update WM5 to WM6 the same way someone would. . . say. . . update WindowsXP to Vista - or do you have to get all new hardware to be able to have WM6 installed?

Thanks.
    It's like updating XP to Vista. You just run an "update" program that re-flashes the device's ROM with the new OS. Usually takes 20 mins, give or take.

BUMP

@ppcgeeks.com ebmorgan posted

Being inside, I have confirmed within the Microsoft organization that the Sprint Treo 700wx WILL NOT be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. The reason being that devices in the "+1" scenario, meaning the device family has received a +1 upgrade to the system already, don't get to go to the next version. They told me that the 700w/wx went from base WM5 to WM5+MSFP which is a +1 upgrade.
    I tell you what, this totally makes sense and there is, unfortunately, a consistent pattern. To repost what I said there here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta

Moto Q: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade
    ppc6700: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade
    Treo 700: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade

Now, granted Sprint got the Moto Q with AKU 2.x and the 700wX with AKU 2.x, but I guess technically...it don't count, since the OEM did do the MSFP for those devices at some point.

Now look at things like the Dash, Blackjack, Treo 750, 8525 etc. All came with AKU 2.x/3.x out the gates...all getting WM6.
    Anyone find a device that got MSFP during it's release and is getting WM6 to contradict this pattern?

I knew it. That sucks. But we all had to figure that was going to be the case... oh well.
    END OF LINE
    i have found a windows mobile 6 rom file for the treo 700wx i have tried it and it does work i have it in my phone right now

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=164457
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12