Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Has anybody used a bluetooth GPS unit with Google maps? I have always been a big GPS user with Garmins and have the Nuvi 350. I use my Treo with Google maps and the Traffic to help me avoid hot spots in the SF Bay Area. I would like to put a Bluetooth GPS unit in the car so Google maps will load and pick up my location automaticly.
    I tried and Google Maps wouldn't see my GPS unit. Live Search found it right away. I only tried it once though. I have a Globalsat BT359 (I think that was the model number of the GPS unit).
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    What is live search?
    Basically Microsoft's version of Google Maps...

To download: http://mobile.search.live.com/client/download.aspx
    I use a Pharos i-GPS that holds the Streets and Trips unit with Google Maps. It works really well, actually. Don't use it often, but it's great to have when you need it.
    END OF LINE
    I got my iblue 737 to work fine with live search.

heimlich
    Google maps works great with my Parrot 3400!
    Google Maps is allot quicker to access and navigate through. Plus there's an option to add the address you found, into your Contacts.
    so here's how to set up Google Maps to 'see' your GPS unit:

Pair up your GPS receiver with your Treo.

Turn on the GPS receiver and bluetooth on your Treo
    Go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth
    Tap Devices, New Partnership. When your GPS unit shows up, choose that. The passcode (if asked) is nearly always '0000'.
    Be sure to check the box next to 'Serial Port' on the next screen, then you may tap Finish

You'll need to set up a 'Hardware COM port'. To do this, go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth. Then tap the 'COM Ports' tab and tap 'New Outgoing Port'. Select your GPS receiver on the next screen, then you can usually just stick with whatever COM port WM suggests (COM 8, in my case).

(...At this point, you've gone far enough to get GPS working properly with some WM apps like Virtual Earth Mobile or Wiondows Live Search for mobile beta. In either of these applications, you can go into preferences and just set the COM port to the above hardware port.)

Google Maps, however, needs Windows Mobile to tell it where your GPS is. To set that up, there's one last set. Go into Settings, System, GPS. On the 'Programs' tab, choose a random COM Port (I chose COM 5). Then tap the 'Hardware' tab, in this tab you'll need to select the Hardware COM port from Step 3 (COM 8, in my case). You should be able to leave the Baud rate at the default 4800. Finally, in the 'Access' tab make sure that 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)' is checked.

Finally, at this point, you then check the 'Track Location (GPS)' within Google Maps' Menu and it will work - Google Maps automatically gets the correct COM port from Windows Mobile. If you make it all the way to Step 4, you may want to use that COM port in Virtual Earth and Windows Live Search as well. These steps are a bit of a technical hassle, but they're well worth it. (These instructions were cribbed from the excellent Windows Mobile Team Blog ).
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Johnny, thanks for the tip. I almost bought Garmin Mobile 20 the other day and I think I'll just buy bluetooth GPS and use Google Maps.

Mindfrost82, thanks for the link, I installed it and it works, just slower and let intuitive that Google Maps. My main use for both is for traffiic updates and Google Maps has a cleaner, faster, eiser to read maps with traffic overlay.
    Your post JohnyMac combined with something I read elsewhere helped me get my new Holux GPSlim236bluetooth GPS to work with Google Maps on my 700w. That's after 2 days of trying everything I could and almost giving up. Searching other forums made me think it might not be possible to get it to work. Thanks.

I would describe what I did to help others, but it was so random I don't think I could repeat it.
    Anybody hear of google maps offering turn by turn directions? Verizon does it with thier VZ navigator so the technology is there.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I bought the Holux M1000 and paired it up with TomTom 6 and it works great on my 700w. Google maps works great with it too.

I noticed that there are frequent port issues on the 700. If you turn your bt off and then back on you can get a connection faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    so here's how to set up Google Maps to 'see' your GPS unit:

Pair up your GPS receiver with your Treo.

Turn on the GPS receiver and bluetooth on your Treo
    Go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth
    Tap Devices, New Partnership. When your GPS unit shows up, choose that. The passcode (if asked) is nearly always '0000'.
    Be sure to check the box next to 'Serial Port' on the next screen, then you may tap Finish

You'll need to set up a 'Hardware COM port'. To do this, go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth. Then tap the 'COM Ports' tab and tap 'New Outgoing Port'. Select your GPS receiver on the next screen, then you can usually just stick with whatever COM port WM suggests (COM 8, in my case).

(...At this point, you've gone far enough to get GPS working properly with some WM apps like Virtual Earth Mobile or Wiondows Live Search for mobile beta. In either of these applications, you can go into preferences and just set the COM port to the above hardware port.)

Google Maps, however, needs Windows Mobile to tell it where your GPS is. To set that up, there's one last set. Go into Settings, System, GPS. On the 'Programs' tab, choose a random COM Port (I chose COM 5). Then tap the 'Hardware' tab, in this tab you'll need to select the Hardware COM port from Step 3 (COM 8, in my case). You should be able to leave the Baud rate at the default 4800. Finally, in the 'Access' tab make sure that 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)' is checked.

Finally, at this point, you then check the 'Track Location (GPS)' within Google Maps' Menu and it will work - Google Maps automatically gets the correct COM port from Windows Mobile. If you make it all the way to Step 4, you may want to use that COM port in Virtual Earth and Windows Live Search as well. These steps are a bit of a technical hassle, but they're well worth it. (These instructions were cribbed from the excellent Windows Mobile Team Blog ).
    Thanks for this info! I couldn't get Google Maps to work before, but after setting up the GPS options it works.
    Don't pretty much all phones have the inherent ability to locate themselves via GPS given longitude and latitude? Doesn't the Treo 700w have that capability? So then why should I even need a bluetooth GPS unit? Shouldn't the phone itself have what amounts to GPS built right in?

There are several phones on the market that will do this right out of the box - less expensive phones at that.

I hope the next Treo will have integrated GPS so that this won't be necessary.