Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I've been using Seven mail beta push instead of MS direct push and it saves on a TON of battery. I stopped using built in MS push because it seems to suck too much juice.
    Seven push works great with exchange and yahoo and is very data & battery efficient.
    http://community.seven.com/
    Could you explain what seven does that makes it more efficient? Do emails arrive just as fast as Exchange?
    2 email accounts - 1 active sync push email, the other gmail checking every 30 minutes. 2-3 hrs of web browsing, 1-2 hours of calls, and some game playing at the desk. I'm averaging 60-70% on the drive home. My desk is typically in a dead zone, so I'm pretty happy with the std battery performance.

To put things in perspective, I had the same setup above, but with Magic Button installed, and I would be down to 10% by 5pm. Let's just say i was not a happy camper, always at the mercy of my travel charger........
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    Could you explain what seven does that makes it more efficient? Do emails arrive just as fast as Exchange?
    I believe MS push might just be inefficient in that it sends and receives too much data or too often to just stay in touch and deliver content. I say might, because I've never done a side by side test to really see if it burns more battery. But based on my relatively short experience using MS direct push, it does seem wear the battery down faster.

Seven, when idle, is very quiet. It does periodically ping the server to make sure it still has a connection, but they have a system where if the ping is good, it backs off the time before the next one. So the more good pings you get, the less often it talks to the server. Also when delivering email, it does seem to do it with minimal traffic. You can even turn off the 'keep alive' (is what they call it) or turn it on (so it never backs off.) The default is 'auto' which is the scale back method.

Blackberry is the best. Blackberries don't talk unless the absolutely have to, which is one of the two reasons why the battery lasts forever (the other being lower power processors.)

I guess I should do 2 days with MS and 2 days with Seven to back my words up. But I was very surprised when I set up Seven push for an entire day and saw relatively low battery use.

The killer is transmitting data. The more the phone uses it's transmitter back to the cel site (to send data) the more power it'll use, especially in UMTS mode.

Is it fast? Yes. Emails arrive instantly. I also have a blackberry and emails arrive to Seven on my Treo and to the blackberry simultaneously.
    It has been pretty reliable, pretty solid for at least the past month of the beta.

The PROBLEM with Seven, is that you have to run software on a PC that's connected to your exchange server. Unlike MS direct push which communicates directly with the server.
    Seven also supports Yahoo and AOL push (but doesn't need the desktop C software.)

The only 3rd party solution I've seen that can also communicate directly with the sever is emoze.
    I used 50% battery in 6 hours today, which is about normal for me. Here at work the 3g connection is horrible, and goes in and out constantly. Keeps disconnecting, reconnecting, etc etc.

I am going to change band selection to gsm only and see how it helps. I have a charger here so I never really cared that much, but I am interested in the findings...
    Today, GSM only, a few minutes later and my battery is 77%. HUGE difference! I thought it would be better, but in reality thats double the battery life...
    Quote Originally Posted by cs4cashHiPPO View Post
    Aww.. I end up dead after 12 hrs max.. So I bought a bigger battery.. Low and behold the battery was a dud and I have yet to receive my replacement
    Which battery did you buy? The 2400mAh from Seido just seems too big. Something a little bigger then 1200mAh would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    It seems to me my battery is actually getting worse. I'm lucky to get 6-7 hours now since I bought the phone in late January 07.
    On my Cingular 750 in Chicago with 75% U coverage.
    This is with maybe 10-15 calls with a total talk time of approx 1 hr.
    4 email accounts. 1 is exchange server set to "as items arrive" but only receiving 10-20 emails.
    The other 3 are pop accounts. 1 set to check every 1 hr, recieving 0 emails (only used occasionally). the 2nd every 15 min, 5-10 emails a day and the 3rd every 30 min with 3-5 emails a day. I rarely browse the internet while working and I have been checking for active programs regularly. If I didn't have access to chargers at home, work and my car this phone would be totaly useless. It is bordering now on that with what I am now currently experiencing.
    I have been following the posts watching for any battery related issues.
    I was figuring on needing to pick up the charger/extra battery combo just to make this phone usable.
    Now with the 755P battery it looks like I'll need to wait a little longer to see if they could get it to work in the 750.

Is anyone else doing this bad with their battery?
    Could this be a dud from Palm/Cingular?
    Could I make a case for a return of the battery only and not the phone?
    Thats a lot of email. 7 account checks every hour, plus the exchange account. I'm surprised you get much battery life at all!

Are you sure the phone is going back and forth between, G and U? That was my problem and I was getting similar battery life. Try GSM only for a day and see if it helps, I can definitely get 2 full days in GSM mode
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a total of 4 emails not seven. I just broke out how each was set up and it's usage.
    Yes i'm sure it goes back and forth between G and U quite a bit. I may have under estimated being on U 75% of the time. In one trip today I saw it go back and forth 6 times and that was when I was either on a call that was dropped when the switch occured or just happened to be looking at the phone at that moment.
    Going to GSM alone would defeat the ability to recieve email and talk at the same time.
    What is the way to change it to GSM only?
    I know it's somehwere here in a post but a quick reply would be easier.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a total of 4 emails not seven. I just broke out how each was set up and it's usage.
    Yes i'm sure it goes back and forth between G and U quite a bit. I may have under estimated being on U 75% of the time. In one trip today I saw it go back and forth 6 times and that was when I was either on a call that was dropped when the switch occured or just happened to be looking at the phone at that moment.
    Going to GSM alone would defeat the ability to recieve email and talk at the same time.
    What is the way to change it to GSM only?
    I know it's somehwere here in a post but a quick reply would be easier.

Thanks
    No I got you...one account 4 times/hour, one 2, one 1 = 7 checks an hour. That's a lot.

You won't get emails while on the phone, it will pause until you get off the phone. I don't see it as that big of a deal, I don't talk for long anyway. But if it's a factor for you then so is battery life.

If you want to try GSM only, go to start-settings-phone- services-band selection.
    With that many accounts, consider using something like Seven Beta. It may or may not save you a bunch of battery life consolidating it all through one system. Basically you let the server do all of the checking and it only sends you the email when it arrives.
    Just a suggestion.
    I am a heavy user. I send and receive 20-30 emails a day, download pdf files to view, talk about 2 hours, some light internet browsing and maybe an hour or so DUN with PDANET. I also syncronize a POP3 and an IMAP4 account every 15 mins. I am a road warrior so I depend on my treo heavily. At the end of a day like this I have about 20% left. Of course, I have the Seidio Extended Battery 2400 mah. It has worked flawlessy but to tell you the truth I am getting tired of the bulge and the weight. When I have to type for a while the extra weight gives me cramps on my hands. I am thinking of buying an extra standard battery and charger. The only thing stopping me is having to open the hard case or take off the skin to switch batteries.
    Last edited by JCB; 05/29/2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add info
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I am starting to understand Palm filosophy in this issue: I also got rid of my -bulky- extended battery and every morning while I am sitting at my desk my Treo is charging. I guess I am an average user
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12