Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I have the UK version AIM but is there a better instant messaging app out there? Preferably one that can be used for all IM services ( AOL, Yahoo, MSN....) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I have the UK version AIM but is there a better instant messaging app out there? Preferably one that can be used for all IM services ( AOL, Yahoo, MSN....) ?
    Agile Messenger was the best until they started charging for the service, I am also looking for a FREE instant messenger as well...
    Well I don't know about the "BEST", but I found Imov a while ago, and it handles a few clients (I ust yahoo and AIM, but it does more), and it is free. it is over at handango.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=imov&R=206752
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Can Imov send pictures and audio like Agile can? I often send a pic via agile when chatting.....
    Quite honestly I don't use that aspect of it, but I will look into it after work, and see if I can give you a better answer on that one.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    It may not be yet, but http://www.palringo.com is in beta staus and they said they are working on other IMs support.

They already have text (IM and group chat), pic, and voice chat (PTT). So even though they don't support AIM, MSN, etc. yet, I'd say it's very promising.

This is the latest e-mail they sent...

Greetings from Palringo!

First of all, many thanks to all of you who have signed up for our beta trial. We are very pleased with the response and have received some great feedback - keep it coming.

We are currently managing a waiting list for our beta trial due to an overwhelming positive response, and are rapidly expanding our user numbers. If you have friends that you would like to connect with via Palringo, feel free to use our web site (www.palringo.com) to invite them: we will give priority to those who have been invited to join.

If you have not got your friends signed up yet, feel free to join a group and chat to other Palringo users. For example:

- palringo: this is a general group that includes some of our development team and a range of other users who drop in now and again. It is a great place to hassle our developers if there is some feature or other that you are dying to get your hands on (although you might want to send us an email <support@palringo.com> as well).

- Modaco: An on-line community for Windows Mobile device enthusiasts Operated by the modaco.com team. It's a great place to discuss the latest news, updates, and trends related to Windows Smartphones and Pocket PCs.

Over the next month you will see a number of exciting changes to the application and the updates will happen automatically. As we roll out updates, we would love to have your comments and feedback on the various changes so please get in touch via the Palringo support bot or via email.

If you have had any trouble at all getting the application installed or running on your phone, or if you have any other comments we would be very interested to hear from you. Please contact us <support@palringo.com>.

Finally, we'd like to thank you once again for supporting us and we look forward to seeing you all on Palringo.

Best Regards,

The Palringo Team
    If anyone is interested, PM me your e-mail address and I'll invite you through their website so that you can be given priority as said on the e-mail. Also, they have both a PC and PPC client.

PPCGeeks already has a group chat room too...
    IM plus by Shape Services is pretty good.
    I tried imov and it's ok. Can't complain too much for free. There is very little configuration of the app and the sounds are god awful. I copied my aim6 sounds from my laptop and replaced the imov sounds. Now if we could figure out how to change the crappy colors in the chat windows.

The aim6 wav files on my laptop were in c:\Program Files\AIM6\services\imApp\ver6_0_28_1\resources\en-US
    www.octro.com is what i use. its pretty good and doesn't kill the battery like im+.
    Verichat was the best (in theory, though it didn't always work).

I would have to go with Octro just because it's so feature packed:

- Google VOIP (only one that can do this)
    - does all services (AIM, Y!, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, jabber)
    - File transfer, including bot-assisted
    - Desktop version to act as a file server
    - Conference/Group chat
    - Send pictures within chat
    - Tabbed support
    - Low CPU/data consumption

I dunno, I can go on and on. Plus it's contantly being developed and new features are being added every week. I liked it on my Treo, love it on the Q.

IM+ is okay but I don't like the screen refresh when chatting, at least on the Q.

As far as "free" goes, listen here's the deal:

Only super basic, crappy IM programs (of which there are barely any) will be "free".

All IM programs cost money for 2 reasons:
    1) None of the "services" provide Mobile applications besides Y! and MSN, so you have to subsidize the software development. This stuff isn't easy to code for especially with the heterogeneous nature of WM and various devices.

2) Server support. Lots of these programs use their own servers to act as a middle man. Those aren't free and hence you have to subsidize that as well.

Sprint finally came out with an IM system for their 750p device and hopefully they will add that for WM, but seeing as they don't do jack for WM I wouldn't hold your breath.

Finally, do yourself a favor and read the Instant Messaging Bible.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    mal the sprint im app uses text so unless you have unlimited text its point less. also it looks real crappy lol from the screen shots i have seen. reminds me of what the mda comes loaded with.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmattFromJeRSeY View Post
    mal the sprint im app uses text so unless you have unlimited text its point less. also it looks real crappy lol from the screen shots i have seen. reminds me of what the mda comes loaded with.
    ahhh...good to know and makes sense ($$$)

I was hoping it would be a SMS/data hyrbrid like Verichat was. That seems the best method for IMing. I'm hoping Octro gets around to doing that.

Palm's threaded SMS Plus AIM's Forwarding, lol, for me it was the most reliable & efficient.

*sigh* I love the Q, but I do miss the threading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ahhh...good to know and makes sense ($$$)

I was hoping it would be a SMS/data hyrbrid like Verichat was. That seems the best method for IMing. I'm hoping Octro gets around to doing that.
    yea last time i sent them a email i asked them about the possibility of them adding that feature they said it was something they may try one day.

@g-funkmaster the aim forwarding is a good idea but i hate how it says your mobile. and plus you don't get a buddy list on your phone with that.plus i only have 300 texts and i would definitely go over if i was using im forwarding.
    I liked agile messenger too, it would log me back in after I ended a long phone call. I didn't like the subscription fees.
    IMplus would not log me back after a long call, it would always say network configuration problems, but an advantage is a one time fee only. Shape services had no clue what the problem was.
    I liked the aol uk version but it didn't have any notification reminders to tell me of a received im besides the audio im tone when I received the message. I liked the fact that it would reconnect back after a long call like agile. I wish it had a plugin for the today screen, but you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by stn415 View Post
    I liked agile messenger too, it would log me back in after I ended a long phone call. I didn't like the subscription fees.
    IMplus would not log me back after a long call, it would always say network configuration problems, but an advantage is a one time fee only. Shape services had no clue what the problem was.
    I liked the aol uk version but it didn't have any notification reminders to tell me of a received im besides the audio im tone when I received the message. I liked the fact that it would reconnect back after a long call like agile. I wish it had a plugin for the today screen, but you get what you pay for.
    you should try octro. mine always reconnects after a phone call and it has a today plug in and is still free. its beta but is one of the best out i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by stn415 View Post
    IMplus would not log me back after a long call, it would always say network configuration problems, but an advantage is a one time fee only. Shape services had no clue what the problem was..
    New version of IM+ 1.38 just releases reportedly fixes this specific issue.

Having said that, like BigmattFromJeRSeY says above...Octro will automatically reconnect you after a call with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    New version of IM+ 1.38 just releases reportedly fixes this specific issue.

Having said that, like BigmattFromJeRSeY says above...Octro will automatically reconnect you after a call with no issues.
    i think version 1.45 of im+ is out. maybe wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmattFromJeRSeY View Post
    i think version 1.45 of im+ is out. maybe wrong though.
    lol, we're both wrong: 4.35 is the latest

I was thinking of the smartphone version...

Wow seems like everyone really likes octro. It worked well. I haven't tried their voip yet. That seems really cool, if it works. I'm just waiting for it to be finished being beta, so I can see the price. I don't want to get my hopes up then have to pay subscription fees like agile. I'm willing to buy the software but subscription fees I will not support.
    Last edited by stn415; 05/11/2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: sp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast