1.    #1  
    i've been a long user of the palm os. from handhelds to smartphones. i have a treo 650 right now, i've had it on the first week it was launched way back in feb 2005. its now time to retire the 650 and move on... the question is move on to what? ideally a gsm 3g phone with a palm os... but we don't have that right now.. down to 2 choices, palm os or 3G meaning treo 680 or treo 750?? or maybe a blackberry... nah....

thoughts anybody???
    Well, it depends on what your needs are. If you stream mobile TV, like Sling, then 3G should be a major purchasing factor. The new Treo 755p for Sprint is coming out and if you like Palm OS, are a resident of the US in good Sprint coverage area, and want a Treo, don't leave that option out. However, as a 750 user, I do appreciate WM. I had the first 650 from my Palm store when it was released. Although I like Palm, I prefer Windows Mobile. If email and phone are all you need, then a Blackberry may not be bad. My 750 is my fun phone for all the games and apps it could load and all the entertainment features (sling) on it, but I prefer my BlackBerry 8800 for a reliable workhorse. Yes, I do have to soft reset both devices every so often, but I prefer the keyboard and keyboard layout of the Blackberry 8800. I seem to reply to more emails on the 8800 and all I need it for during the day is email.
    Keep in mind also that you could always load SOME of your Palm apps on a WM device thru an emulator called StyleTap. These are basic apps like PIM. Advanced apps may not work.
    i too was a long time palm user. had the 650 for 2 years until it upped and died on me last thurs night. So i picked up the 750 because I wanted 3G. At first, I was ready to take it back because it felt so alien. Navigating it just wasn't intuitive like the palm os. However after using it extensively and getting some much needed add-ons like mundu it has been getting better.

Most notably is the today screen which gives me a quick overview of things going. Using agendus on Palm was great, but outlook seems promising. (btw i'm a mac user)

The higher resolution camera is also a welcomed addition and a noticeable improvement over the 650.

I haven't really noticed the screen resolution however i have read that others do notice it. I have definitely gotten used to it.

Bottom line: whats your biggest necessity? i stayed with palm because i love the keyboard even though the camera isnt the best and battery life is so-so.
    Not to change the subject, but Methad, you have Mundu for your 750? I didn't know they had released it yet for windows mobile?
    susan4794, they had released Mundu for Smartphone edition. That version works fine for WM Pocket PCs.
  7.    #7  
    thanks for your thoughts everyone.... decisions we treo peeps have to make. i mostly use my treo to look up information on the go, GPS, a little email, a lot of SMS (love threaded sms), a lot of google mapping. i wanted 3G to try some streaming stuff.. and the palm os is really easy to use.. less taps to do stuff (especially when driving..lol). i have to have GSM aka travelling... i reaally wish there was a 755p for GSM.... =)
    here's one thing that really makes me like the windows version. being able to truly multitask.

i used to hate it when i would be in blazer on the 650 waiting for a page to load and then either get a phone call or message or have to look up something then go back and have to reload the site.

with windows, go to a site in IE or opera, write an email, send a text msg and easily go back to the web without reloading or anything. true multitasking. simply wonderful.

one thing that i have noticed and its not a big deal, but the 750 does lag from time to time when selecting a program to open. you also have to remember to actually close programs as simply clicking on the X just minimizes it.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a 755p come out for gsm but it will definitely be a long wait.
    several mention blackberry as if it' some great device.

I have a Treo 700P & a BB8803 (work). I hate the BB. Screen is crap for internet or trying to read attachments. Have had to reset it a few times.

phone quality is good (so is treo), battery life is no better than treo.

That cursed wheel....OH how I hate the wheel.

I would MUCH rather have a treo of either flavor than BB. Probably will be getting a wx treo soon instead of BB.
    Short answer - NO.
    WM is a piece of crap - way to heavy for a small embedded device like a treo.
    I have had my 750 for about 3 months now and each month I get more and more frustrated with it.... palmos I used for 7 years with never once getting frustrated with it.... performance sucks under WM5
    I love my 700wx.
    I see the blackberry mentioned. But the Blackberry is also not 3G, it's only GSM at this point. So you're in the same boat as the Treo 680. 3G Blackberries are coming, though.

I made the switch to WM, and after getting used to it I like it more. I go back to my Treo 650 and wife's 680 and I just don't like it anymore.

I moved my wife from the 650 to the 750 and after a good 6 weeks of trying, she hated WM, so I go her a 680 and she couldn't be happier. But 3G wasn't a priority.

If you think you can deal with a new OS, then I don't see why you wouldn't be happy on a Treo 750.
    If you think you'll be resistant to learning the new OS, then you might not like it. Learning to use WM is like starting all over day 1 again. You have to learn all of the little goofy things.

Something to consider:
    Around Q1 next year Palm plans to ship a palm OS compatible 3G phone on GSM/UMTS using the new linux based OS. They SAY they want to keep it backward compatible with PalmOS, and I believe that's the intent. But who knows if it really will be or if this will slip out to a later date.
    So by hanging in there with a Treo 680, in another 9 months you may have a 3G option that's intended to be PalmOS compatible.

There's always the 755p if you don't mind switching carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsouth View Post
    Short answer - NO.
    I have had my 750 for about 3 months now and each month I get more and more frustrated with it.... palmos I used for 7 years with never once getting frustrated with it.... performance sucks under WM5
    LOL! Typical Palm user's response.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsouth View Post
    Short answer - NO.
    So you are saying..."I HATE THIS PHONE SO IT HAS TO SUCK"

I feel the complete opposite. I personally love Windows phones and have never enjoyed palm based phones.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    LOL! Typical Palm user's response.
    Actually I am very open to WM -- in fact I even went a long way to embrace it and spent enough time to get very comfortable in using it - I really wanted to believe this was the best device......
    Sit the 2 phones side by side and do the SAME activity and watch the difference in performance.
    At the end of the day I don't care what OS it runs - so long as performance is fast and productivity is high. My day is full of extra clicks, button pushes, menu navigations and resets... oh and waiting for windows to open of close...
    Personally I find this phone significantly more cumbersome to drive and slower... and I'm not alone. Of my management team, who have switched to the 750 from a variety of devices (BB, Treo, Nokia etc) all have made exactly the same comment - WM is slow and significantly more cumbersome to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    So you are saying..."I HATE THIS PHONE SO IT HAS TO SUCK"

I feel the complete opposite. I personally love Windows phones and have never enjoyed palm based phones.

No I love the HW format - I think Palm has great devices in terms of HW functionality. I even don't care they don't have wireless capability. What I am simply saying is that WM5 performance is very poor on the treo. Do a comparison side by side and you will see what I mean. It is noticeable in terms of lag, switching between tasks, even simple tasks like dialing have lag.
    i definitely agree that it is slow, but hopefully WM6 will address all of these issues...i hope.
    don't just believe us palm users in this thread.

save your money.

i have nothing to gain by telling people i foolishly spent 600 bucks (cdn) on a 750 that is sooooooooooo much worse than the 650 was

WM lovers will spout their usual stuff (i am tempted to look for good in this phone too, there just isn't alot) but it is a tiny little device, thats what was so good about palm OS - they got everything you wanted/needed into a small user friendly device.

with the 750 you can expect
    -phone to just stop ringing or making any sound a few times a week (restart)
    -an email/text notification that repeats itself until the message is read (this is a phone one during meetings)
    -voice command that is utterly useless unless you are in a bubble
    -delayed ringing (answer your phone the second you hear it and you are on the caller's 3rd ring
    -an OS that slows down so much with all its great "multitasking" that you need to go in and stop all programs running if you want to run one properly
    -an operating system so full of bugs you won't believe it
    -press a button - go on a break - come back and the app may have started

that is off the top of my head and the icing on the cake - find the "known bugs" thread

but like i said, don't believe me , read some threads in this forum.