Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I travel a lot over to Japan. Right now I have a cingular 8525 but have found it difficult in texting. I would like to us just one hand in texting. I have gone into the cingular store and found it a lot better in txting.
    The 750 uses the same bands as the 8525, so it should work fine.

Surur
    Yes, I used my Treo 750 in Tokyo in February. Works either on the NTT DoCoMo (FOMA) or the Softbank network. It is one of the reasons why I got the Treo. I would not bother asking the Cingular reps at there corporate stores, they told me that it wouldn't work. It works fine... Cingular's roaming rates are high, so I would get it unlocked and rent a Softbank SIM card. That gets you free incoming calls, but similar data and outgoing call rates.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yukster; 05/10/2007 at 01:25 AM.
  4. tnf
    do you remember how much the roaming rates were, specifically with calls to and from the US? also, how hard is it to rent a sim card, and what does that end up costing for calls to and from the US per min? thanks!-tnf
    For Cingluar, it was $1.69 per minute, both incoming and outgoing, both Japanese and US calls. That was with their $5 per month plan.

For more information on the Softbank rental SIM, go to

http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/sim3g.php
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Wow, I didn't know there was GSM in Japan. I thought they only used some special wireless network that's not used anywhere else in the world. Good to know.

Joe
    A few weeks ago I was in Japan for a few hours as I had a layover on my way to Bangkok. There wasn't much benefit to getting a Japanese SIM card since I was only there a couple hours, but my Cingular SIM Treo 750 worked great (data and phone) while I was there.

I think I was connected to SoftBank via a UMTS connection.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Japan uses GSM and CDMA, but the GSM band they use was not commonly supported by US GSM phones until recently. They also use iDEN (similar to Nextel).
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Japan uses GSM and CDMA, but the GSM band they use was not commonly supported by US GSM phones until recently. They also use iDEN (similar to Nextel).
    No No No... Japan has never had GSM. In the past, Japan had PHS (made famous by NTT DoCoMo), CDMA (KDDI), and W-CDMA/UMTS (NTT FOMA, Vodaphone/Softbank). Unfortunately, their blend of CDMA works on a different frequency than in the US (I think the frequencies were reversed), and PHS was strictly a Japan only product (I think Taiwan also used it for a while). They are finally following the global standard (or the rest of the world is following the Japanese standard, since they rolled it out first) with their implementation of their 3G network using W-CDMA. That is why for the first time, the rest of the world can roam in Japan using their own handsets. Even so, Japan never used GSM. It appears that Japan also uses iDEN for its CB-radio network, but not for its cellphone network.
    Last edited by yukster; 05/10/2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Ok - Japan has UMTS 2100 in some areas, which the 750 will support. I guess that's not exactly "GSM".
    First post on treocentral!

I can confirm that a Cingular 750 flat out works in Japan. Data and Voice. Of course you need to be in an area with the UMTS 2100 mhz coverage butthat basically means "in cities".

I too was quoted $1.69 per min as was told that included roaming and long distance. I had a transit at NRT yesterday and tested things out. No trouble. However, voice in Japan was never really my problem as I have a prepaid phone for my business trips. What I lacked was consistant access to data services while on the go with my boss. The Treo 750 solves this for me and with a little hack, I've enabled Japanese. This is a big improvement over my Crackberry because when I home and I see the e-mail come in from Japan, I don't need to log in with my laptop to read it anymore.

I'll maintain my prepaid for voice calls when in Japan. Of course incoming voice is free and outgoing is about 50% the cost of the Cingular charges considering the current exchange rates.

Cheers,

Scho
  12. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I was in Japan a couple of weeks ago and can also confirm that the Treo 750 works there. I still have my AT&T sim and was worried that might be a problem. No issues.

I did notice that my battery drained pretty quickly while I was there. I assume that has something to do with roaming?

schoflyer: what is the hack that you used to enable Japanese?
    Scho,
    So did you use a rental sim from japan or your cingular sim? Which prepaid are you using? Did you get yours unlocked? I'm heading there next week and need to figure this out soon. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by schoflyer View Post

I'll maintain my prepaid for voice calls when in Japan. Of course incoming voice is free and outgoing is about 50% the cost of the Cingular charges considering the current exchange rates.

Cheers,

Scho
    I'd like to know how to enable japanese as my fiancÚ is from there and could send emails to her family with this on.

Thanks
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Here's a the thread on Brighthand that I followed to enable Japanese.
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...light=Japanese

It's not exactly straight forward. I have not installed "input" yet.

Installing the "output" which allows me to read incoming Japanese e-mail was easy with no registry editing for me. I haven't had any trouble with my 750 since installing. The enabling "input" does seem a bit tricky and sounds like it could cause a bit more trouble. This is only good for WM5.

Good luck and report back if you choose to install input. I'm going to hold off for a while I think but I already kind of wished I had it.

Once I had the input working, I didn't want to mess with anything else as I was leaving the following day for a business trip.

-Scho