1.    #1  
    is there a program that would let me send and receive text messages via data connection instead of through the messaging app. kind of like im except for texts only? I'm tired of paying the $5 for only 300 texts....
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkeo View Post
    is there a program that would let me send and receive text messages via data connection instead of through the messaging app. kind of like im except for texts only? I'm tired of paying the $5 for only 300 texts....
    If you're on Verizon, ask to have the SMS2000 plan added to your account. It's 2000 tm / month and it's free.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    If you're on Verizon, ask to have the SMS2000 plan added to your account. It's 2000 tm / month and it's free.
    is that for everyone or is it only if you have data?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    I think you have to have the data plan. The reason that they made this is because before WIndows Exchange 2003 came out the exchange server would send a text message to your phone to tell your phone that it needs to sync with the server to receive the new emails. They designed the program so you wouldn't get charged for that text message.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    You have to have data and a pda phone. They might not even be offering it anymore since push came out.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    A CSR at VZ just told me she knew nothing about "SMS2000"
  7.    #7  
    so in otherwords... no one knows of such a program... I'm on sprint and with tmobile, my texts came free with my data package. is it my fault that I wanted a wx and had to suffer with paying extra for texts?
    When Sprint was having their text messaging issue (i.e. not being delivered to T-Mobile and Verizon) we were forced to send text messages via the various carrier email-to-SMS gateways. Though we still sent it via SMS (thus getting the response through SMS), you could do it via any POP address and receive your replies through that email account.

By the way, pretty much every carrier is charging for SMS now adays. I gave up free unlimited texts when I changed my plan. If you find a good CSR, you might be able to get a significant discount (I pay $8 for unlimited).
    You could always send a text message through AIM, which uses data.

Just add the phone number to your list in the form of something like

+1xxxxxxxxxx

So its basically +1[tendigitnumberhere]

And then people can reply to you, and it shows up on your aim.