Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Want a quick and simple way to temporarily shut-your-phone-up?

Introducing Silencer, a new today plugin that allows you to do just that.
    - Have your ever used flight-mode expecting to silence your phone, only to have other notifications or reminders pop up and make noise?
    - Have you ever turned the volume all the way down or used a profile setting to turn it off, but then forgot to turn it back on?
    - Ever been chased by Jack Bauer into a dark warehouse and hit the slider switch to mute your phone, only to have that damn loud Treo-vibrate give away your position?
    (okay maybe this ONLY happens to me...)

Anyways, Silencer is a very simple today plugin that silences your phone and then unsilences it after the time period is over.

Headed for a very important hour-long meeting that can't be disturbed? Tap Silencer and then "Silence 1 hour", and it keeps the sound off for 60 minutes, and then automatically restores the volume back to it's previous levels. Finally get some "alone time" with your sweetie and you need 15 min... uhh,err.. 90 minutes of undisturbed time? Tap, tap and your done (with the phone that is).

Silencer also doubles as a date plugin, the key differences are (1) the icon and (2) the plugin is positionable on the today screen; the default one is not.

A windows installer and PPC cab install is attached below. Enjoy!

Z.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbop; 05/14/2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: v1.01 update
    Nice idea, but still prefer the mute switch on top.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Heh, yeah I'm sure most people don't mind muting the phone. But for me, off means OFF, as in don't bug me
    zbop, I see you've been moonlighting.

Nice idea, it will come in handy I'm sure!

It would be cool also to somehow link this in with calendar so that certain meetings could automatically silence the phone for the length of the meeting. Maybe keying off of the meeting category. Thinking an option like silence all appointments with a category of "Business" or something like that.

At any rate, excellent work!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    zbop, I see you've been moonlighting.

Nice idea, it will come in handy I'm sure!

It would be cool also to somehow link this in with calendar so that certain meetings could automatically silence the phone for the length of the meeting. Maybe keying off of the meeting category. Thinking an option like silence all appointments with a category of "Business" or something like that.

At any rate, excellent work!
    Good idea, thanks!

Yea that and phonealarm what i use. but this is a very nice app im sure lots of people will like it. good job.
    Hey zbop, any way to make this work one-handed? When I use the d-key to cursor down to the plugin it jumps over it.
  8.    #8  
    Hey zbop, any way to make this work one-handed? When I use the d-key to cursor down to the plugin it jumps over it.
    Not currently, since the action is tap-and-hold rather than click, there's no reason to handle the "select-focus". Although I can certainly change it so that it's one-hand friendly.
    One handed friendly sounds good to me.
    very nice. good job zbob
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    very nice. good job zbob
    Thanks Cody!

Nothing too spectacular, I know... But it's sorta been a pet peeve of mine for awhile, so I wrote it.
    Great app!!! I have been looking for something like this for about a year and a half. Thank you so much! However, it would be much easier to use for me if it were one-hand friendly and accessible using the d-pad.

Thanks again!
  13.    #13  
    I added the one-handed navigation, just testing it now.

BTW, if you've looked at the installed files, you'll see that I haven't really been moonlighting
    there are many ways to mute the phone. what this does by timing the mute and then returning it back to normal is awesome. a winner in my book. i understand that zbob didn't really like the dpad control for bilboard but i think with the treo being so one handed in the first place, dpad "press and hold would be nice. i my self would love this if we didn't have to use it as a today plugin. i dont use the date on the today screen and dont have any extra room. neverthe less i think it is an awesome idea and app.

is there any chance you could post the script? or send it to me?

thanks, cody
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I added the one-handed navigation, just testing it now.

BTW, if you've looked at the installed files, you'll see that I haven't really been moonlighting
    hehe, Yeah, I looked at the files after I said that. MortScript and Billboard in action.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    there are many ways to mute the phone. what this does by timing the mute and then returning it back to normal is awesome. a winner in my book. i understand that zbob didn't really like the dpad control for bilboard but i think with the treo being so one handed in the first place, dpad "press and hold would be nice. i my self would love this if we didn't have to use it as a today plugin. i dont use the date on the today screen and dont have any extra room. neverthe less i think it is an awesome idea and app.

is there any chance you could post the script? or send it to me?

thanks, cody
    Yeah, I weighed doing this as a non-plugin, but decided to do it for a couple of reasons...

1) I don't know how to put something in the taskbar/tray area yet, haha
    2) I wanted to test drive the billboard plugin with a real case

I am also thinking of rolling up a number of everyday tasks that I do (where other software doesn't exactly do it the way I want it to) and then combine all that stuff into a single toolbox type of plugin.

Same ole story though, never enough display area, never enough hotkeys

Cody, I'll send ya PM.
    I just found a problem on my install. When I silence the phone it does not kill the vibrate function. I thought the app was supposed to do this. I have tried installing/uninstalling twice. It doesn't matter if the ringer switch on top is on silent or not it vibrates on both settings. Any ideas?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by COPPERLAB View Post
    I just found a problem on my install. When I silence the phone it does not kill the vibrate function. I thought the app was supposed to do this. I have tried installing/uninstalling twice. It doesn't matter if the ringer switch on top is on silent or not it vibrates on both settings. Any ideas?
    I'm looking into it...
    I have a verizon treo 700wx and have all the message and phone sound settings checked for both ringer switch on and off.
    very cool plugin, I just added it o my 700wx.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast