Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I loved the 750 prior to getting the shiny new Blackberry 8800. Now, I am back to the Treo. While I find the Blackberry's keyboard to be better in my opinion, I miss all my applications and rich experience on WM. The Blackberry does email really, really well. I wish there was an intuitive, minimal set-up for adding email accounts to the Treo like the Blackberry's system.

    While I did appreciate the built-in GPS receiver within the 8800, I find the Treo and TomTom to be more pleasurable to use.

    It's good to be back to Palm. I can't wait til Windows Mobile 6 for Exchange searches, HTML emails, and some other upgrades. I saw a video where Voice Command's API is now opened up so other applications could tap into the unique voice experience. There was a cool expense tracking app that you could speak the voice command and the system will parse out the spoken entry into different input fields automatically.

    It's an exciting time for mobile devices.
  2. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #2  
    I came from a Pearl, which is still one of the best devices I've ever owned. I used it in my personal life before changing jobs and needed a WM phone. I have a Blackjack now, but bought a Treo 750 off of eBay yesterday. I was a lifelone Treo user, so I'm happy to be back. I just hope the size doesn't turn me off too much.

    Joe
  3.    #3  
    The Treo design is more utilitarian and does what it needs to do from an industrial design point of view. I think the Blackberries have gone more fashionable with the Pearl and 8800. Not sure from a user perspective for the Pearl, but the 8800 seems easier to use and more ergonomical. I wish there was a bit more room below the keyboard on the Treo. My thumbs don't feel tired and strained on the 8800 but they do on the Treo after using it for a long time.
  4. mland550's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #4  
    I went from a Nokia 6682, to the Treo 680, to the Blackberry 8800, and now I think I've settled on the 750.

    The Treo 680 had a great screen, but the build quality and battery life was not good. I also had the ridiculously annoying garbled text in the carrier logo which rendered the phone completely inoperable until the battery was removed. I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.

    The 8800 had a brilliant screen, and equally brilliant battery life. But the lack of camera really sucked, even though I knew it was a "business device" before buying one. I also encountered really squeaky, creaky build quality - the plastic/chrome side pieces wiggle after about three days and, to me, that's definitely unacceptable for the price paid. ($500)

    The 750 has a decent camera, decent screen, great keyboard and the soft touch paint is probably the nicest part to me. It feels what it costs. Windows Mobile is decent, configurable and overall not a nuisance. If the next iteration comes with a 480 x 480 screen and was a little slimmer, with a 2-3MP cam with autofocus, now then we'd be talkin!

    -Matt
  5. maevro's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #5  
    See, I could care less about a camera, in fact - I loved the E62 when I had it because of no camera. I figure, unless you are going to install a camera with at least 3.2MP, why bother?

    I had the Pearl and really liked it. It was so light that I always thought I lost it. I only thing I disliked was the SureType. When I went to return my 8525, I saw the 8800 and loved it. If it was 3G, I would have bought it in a second.

    Alas, I bought the Treo 750 and love it.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
  6. iramike's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #6  
    I recently had a big of a run with another device as well. I have had the 750 since I came back to Cingular, right after it came out, and recently I tried using the e62. I like alot about the e62, the lack of camera doesn't bother me at all, what bothered me was how slow it was, running back and forth between text and such, I never had those issues with me 6620.

    I came back to the 750, and so far I really like it. The big things for me have got to be the chat window for text. I wish I could get an IM app like on e62 cause I actually liked it. I am going to keep the e62 as a back up and run with the 750, I am hoping that WM6 is some smooth stuff for us all.......
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict


    The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  7.    #7  
    beejive makes JiveTalk for Blackberry, currently in beta right now. I know they are considering a WM release as well. That app is the killer app that makes me return to the Blackberry every so often. It is by far the best IM app--fast, responsive, and loads without any glitches. I've tried IM+, Agile (which I think is the best IM on the market right now), AIM, among others. JiveTalk blows those all away.
  8. #8  
    I had the blackberry pearl, and while the email and jivetalk were awesome, that was about all I liked. There is a very, very limited amount of software availalbe for it, and I just didn't like the user interface very well either. So, I am back to wm and my beloved Treo 750.
  9. rezilient's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #9  
    I was actually thinking about selling my 750 in exchange for the 8800 because of all the stress this phone has caused me. The silent ringer issue just kills me. Also I have been having problems with POP mail (often have to erase and setup my Gmail profile, since it stops working). Also have problems with the phone locking up, just like you would expect from a Windows device.

    Primarily I am looking for STABILITY and RELIABILITY among other things.

    I wish the 8800 had 3G/HSDPA since I use the the browser quite often. Also wouldn't mind if it had a camera since my 1yr old often offers us his moments of hilarity.

    So I will probably wait until WM6 and just pray the bugs are worked out. And not made even worse...

    Edit: or maybe the BlackBerry Curve is the answer?
  10. maevro's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
    I was actually thinking about selling my 750 in exchange for the 8800 because of all the stress this phone has caused me. The silent ringer issue just kills me. Also I have been having problems with POP mail (often have to erase and setup my Gmail profile, since it stops working). Also have problems with the phone locking up, just like you would expect from a Windows device.

    Primarily I am looking for STABILITY and RELIABILITY among other things.

    I wish the 8800 had 3G/HSDPA since I use the the browser quite often. Also wouldn't mind if it had a camera since my 1yr old often offers us his moments of hilarity.

    So I will probably wait until WM6 and just pray the bugs are worked out. And not made even worse...

    Edit: or maybe the BlackBerry Curve is the answer?
    The Curve looks really nice but still no 3G means no BB for me.

    It sucks to hear when people have issues with their 750 because I never have any of those issues, especially with ringer volume or email.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
  11. #11  
    I just came back to the Treo after a short stint with a Nokia N91. Got the nokia since a car park valet took a liking to my iPod. I had a Treo 650 (personal) and was really happy. Since I had a BB 8700 and Pearl for work, I thought I didn't a smartphone. Boy was I wrong. Whilst the N91 was a great phone and music player, everything else IMO was dreadful. The OS was just too slow for my liking (you could make and consume a cup of tea while it opened up the picture gallery, even with just a few photos) and there were a few features that I think haven't been thought out properly e.g. GPRS - which took manual intervention to get right - in contrast to the Treo which just set everything up for me - same SIM.

    Overall, I am happy with the Treo. Compared to the 650, it feels lighter and I love the rubbery coating.
  12. KAP
    KAP is offline
    KAP's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    #12  
    For me, neither device is optimal...so I end up using both simultaneously.

    The BB8800 is simply a beautiful piece of hardware engineering. The Treo 750 has the better user interface.

    The difficulty with the Treo 750 is that it's simply not usable for extended periods away from my desk (where the charging cable is located). On a recent coast-to-coast flight, with a two-hour layover in Chicago, my 750's battery was dead by the time I made it to my hotel on the far end...and the phone was turned off during both flights, and was only moderately used for calling while on the layover.

    By contrast, my BB8800 can go two days between charging on the same voice and data traffic volumes. But, oh, that poor user interface! The BB8800 is a great email machine (if you have a POP, IMAP or company supported email account...if not, well....), but it's a poor integrated communications device, and a poor platform for applications that could conceal its user interface shortcomings.

    If the BB8800 had a WM6 interface on it, with threaded chat, Palm would have a serious problem on its hands.
  13. #13  
    Just had a curve, blackberry is getting there but the cost of data plan vs mediamax plan is $25 right there, if you use a hosting company for your exchange its alteast another $10 a month for BES addon. Thats $35 more monthly right there for a similar end result. Blackberry while nice, reliable, and best email solution period, just isn't worth the extra cost to me plus the 3rd party support is horribly weak IMHO. Hope this helps
  14. #14  
    Well I had a 750 and recently picked up the BB Curve. I have to say that after a week of playing with this BB and setting it up with my company's Exchange server, I am actually going to sell my 750. What was paramount to me was the BT implementation. I have a system called Hands Free Link in my Acura and NEED to have a reliable BT connection to it while I am driving. I dont want to muck with the connection while driving. The BB has not let me down once. My 750 would not reliably connect and stay connected to the HFL and thus I would miss calls while in the car, because I will not hold the phone to my ear while driving (I think it's too distracting).

    Overall, comapred to my usage experience of the 750 comapred to the BB Curve, the Curve wins hands-down compared to the Treo.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    Well I had a 750 and recently picked up the BB Curve. I have to say that after a week of playing with this BB and setting it up with my company's Exchange server, I am actually going to sell my 750. What was paramount to me was the BT implementation. I have a system called Hands Free Link in my Acura and NEED to have a reliable BT connection to it while I am driving. I dont want to muck with the connection while driving. The BB has not let me down once. My 750 would not reliably connect and stay connected to the HFL and thus I would miss calls while in the car, because I will not hold the phone to my ear while driving (I think it's too distracting).

    Overall, comapred to my usage experience of the 750 comapred to the BB Curve, the Curve wins hands-down compared to the Treo.
    Yes the curve/bb in genreal have great bluetooth. If you only needs/wants are phone and email blackberry is the way to go. I probably would have kept it as i really only NEED my email/phone but between the monthly cost difference and my wants, i put it up for sale.

    From my Treo experiences they never do bluetooth right
    Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6600 (Sprint) >Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6700 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (sprint) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Motorola Q (Verizon) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > XV6700 (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Treo 700wx > Blackberry 8703e > Dash > HTC 3125 > Treo 700wx > Motorola Q > HTC Hermes 8525 > Blackberry 8800 > Blackberry Curve > Treo 750 > Ubiquio 503g > Iphone > Wing > TyTn II > Q9 Global > Tilt > Ubiquio 503g
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    I loved the 750 prior to getting the shiny new Blackberry 8800. Now, I am back to the Treo. While I find the Blackberry's keyboard to be better in my opinion, I miss all my applications and rich experience on WM. The Blackberry does email really, really well. I wish there was an intuitive, minimal set-up for adding email accounts to the Treo like the Blackberry's system.

    While I did appreciate the built-in GPS receiver within the 8800, I find the Treo and TomTom to be more pleasurable to use.

    It's good to be back to Palm. I can't wait til Windows Mobile 6 for Exchange searches, HTML emails, and some other upgrades. I saw a video where Voice Command's API is now opened up so other applications could tap into the unique voice experience. There was a cool expense tracking app that you could speak the voice command and the system will parse out the spoken entry into different input fields automatically.

    It's an exciting time for mobile devices.
    With regards to your intuitive minimal set-up email system for the treo 750, I'd check out the beta for SEVEN. I downloaded the client, and all I had to do to set up my gmail was put in my username and password, it created the mailbox in pocket outlook and set up all the settings for PUSH email to the 750 from gmail.

    (note, though, that with gmail because they only offer a pop interface, the SEVEN servers use that to connect then when they get a new mail, they push it down to your device, but I"m very happy with the client).

Posting Permissions