1.    #1  
    I have been using a 700wx with Sprint since September of last year when it was released. I have been having some ridiculous problems with Sprint service (calls to me being re-routed to other phones, not getting calls, voicemail issues, etc.) and have decided to drop Sprint and move to Cingular/AT&T. Obviously, my Treo love runs deep, and I will need to pick up the 750.

So, the question is, has anyone made the exact switch I'm about to make, including phone and carrier? Was it a PITA or was it easy? Are there any pieces of advice you can share? Questions I should be asking a rep when I make the switch? Deals to grab on my handset or service plan?

I know Sprint inside and out after all this time (5+ years) but Cingular is a whole different animal. I noticed the 750 on Amazon for $99 (from another thread in here) but is it easier to just get it through Cingular? I love deals, but I don't need any more headaches this week, if there's a catch. I need this to happen soon, so expedition is also a factor. If it's quicker to just go through Cingular, I'd want to know.

Basically, I'm looking to make this transition as painless as possible, and if I can save a few bucks in the process, that would be fine with me. I have to port my number, and I want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can.

I'll miss my 700wx, but I won't miss the crap that I have to deal with now, on a daily basis because of Sprint's network. And I know, the grass is always greener, blah blah, but it's time for a change. My business is almost all Cingular, and it's probably something I was going to do eventually anyway.

Thanks in advance -
    END OF LINE
    Alienwhere, you have a private message! Hope that helps.
    Hey Alienwhere, I went down the same path as you in Feburary. All I will say is just make sure you are in a good 3G area or you may be disappointed. Edge speeds are even slower than 1x. Also check out the bug list thread so you are aware of the annoyances that you will run into.

I hope your company can give you a good discount on the data plan cuz it is the most expensive out of the big 3.

I wouldn't port your number right away. Give the 750 a trial period first to make sure it's what you want. You can always port your number later.
  4.    #4  
    hannip - thanks, as always for the advice. I have a lot of things to think about before I do this. I'm sure that on some level I will be disappointed, because I get EV-DO almost everywhere right now, and I have a sneaking feeling my data is gonna stink with the new phone. But I can't afford to be missing important calls for any reason. I just don't feel like calling Sprint and having them tell me all manner of crap as to why my calls aren't going through. That being said, I'd rather not go screwing things up because barring those annoyances, I don't completely HATE my service. I finally got my plan and phone tweaked the way I need them... ugh.

trojanvision - got the message - thanks again -

Oh - hannip - I was wondering... is the edge performance any more tolerable if I make the PIE reg tweaks to enable more connections, etc. as is mentioned in the 700wx forum? How about the DNS changes? I checked Cingular's map, and man, I am going to get lousy 3G coverage now if I do this... I don't use the browser a TON, but enough to be annoyed by it slowing down considerably... if I were to call Sprint to ask about the call weirdness, what do you suggest I say to them? I mean, in your opinion, is it something that can be rectified (the missing of calls, and people reporting that someone else is answering when they call my number)?

Just when I thought I was getting things settled.
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 05/05/2007 at 12:20 AM.
    END OF LINE
    I've had the 750 for a while now, once you get past a few start bugs (for example, the install cd doesnt have updated drivers for WM6) and a few settings you NEED to know, such as turning off the modemlink to use active sync.. etc etc... I think it's the best phone so far. Just make sure you have a little patience for the first 3 hours of having it.

Thats windows
    Windows < ubuntu + beryl (UNIX/Linux)... now time to code..

yay for hackers and all the wonderful tools used by said brains.
    Anyone play counterstrike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    hannip - thanks, as always for the advice. I have a lot of things to think about before I do this. I'm sure that on some level I will be disappointed, because I get EV-DO almost everywhere right now, and I have a sneaking feeling my data is gonna stink with the new phone. But I can't afford to be missing important calls for any reason. I just don't feel like calling Sprint and having them tell me all manner of crap as to why my calls aren't going through. That being said, I'd rather not go screwing things up because barring those annoyances, I don't completely HATE my service. I finally got my plan and phone tweaked the way I need them... ugh.

trojanvision - got the message - thanks again -

Oh - hannip - I was wondering... is the edge performance any more tolerable if I make the PIE reg tweaks to enable more connections, etc. as is mentioned in the 700wx forum? How about the DNS changes? I checked Cingular's map, and man, I am going to get lousy 3G coverage now if I do this... I don't use the browser a TON, but enough to be annoyed by it slowing down considerably... if I were to call Sprint to ask about the call weirdness, what do you suggest I say to them? I mean, in your opinion, is it something that can be rectified (the missing of calls, and people reporting that someone else is answering when they call my number)?

Just when I thought I was getting things settled.
    The edge performance becomes more tolerable when you disable the cingy proxy and pick some fast dns servers. Cingy's dns servers are very slow.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135346

As far as what to say when you call Sprint, I would just keep moving up the chain until you get someone that knows what they are talking about. That sounds mighty strange that someone else could be picking up your calls. I never heard of that one before.
  7.    #7  
    I'm actually on with CS right now - already been transferred to tech support. They're checking the acct and calling me back. I figure I will stick it out for a little while (possibly only today if I don't feel satisfied after this call) and make the change then. I really would like to know, however, that someone else is not getting my calls. That's a bit bothersome, you know?

Thanks for the DNS link - I'll check it out. I did it on my current Treo, and it's awesome.
    END OF LINE