1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!

I have been a Blackberry user for 3-4 years now, and I have to say it was very good to me---for the little that it had to do. I've stuck with them because of the ease of use as an "End-User". But, I'm a little more "Technologically Inclined" these days than most of the corporate end-users, and I am tired of the scroll-wheel, boring interface/applications, and the unchanging simplicity that bleeds from almost every BB device.

A Little Personal Info:
    Well, I am currently with Sprint (in the Northern-Virginia area), and have only been with them for 2 weeks. I purchased my 8703e with a 2 year contract through them, but I have 2 weeks to return/exchange the Blackberry for another Sprint phone. I have perfect signal strength at home and work (where others do not), so I won't be leaving Sprint.

Options:
    There's only two way's I'm going with this:

-Palm Treo 700wx
    or
    -Blackberry 8703e (Current Device)

Absolute Requisites:
    Here's what I use my Blackberry for, and absolutely need with the Treo 700wx (Color Coding is used for relevance to the questions at the end):

Push-Email/Contacts/Calendar:
    I use a Hosted-Exchange service, Link2Exchange (awesome people), to host my corporate email, and push it to my 8703e via BES. My office doesn't have BES capability, or the desire to purchase it, so I pay for my own hosting, and my corporate email is forwarded (and retained on the local server) to my L2E account/handheld. I typically receive about 100-200 emails a day, with attachments smaller than 2mb, mostly Word Doc's (I have yet to go over the 400mb Inbox allowance, since I delete frequently).

Phone Use:
    I use the phone very little, but Speakerphone is a must, which from what I read, works very well on the 700wx. I don't use Bluetooth headsets at all.

Remote Desktop Connection:
    I currently use the RDM+ application to remote into my office once a week or so. It's not critical, but it'd make life a little easier.

How You Can Help:
    Well, as I stated above, I need more than RIM will give me, so I'd like to go to the Treo, but only if it won't affect my Requisites, as these functions are relatively vital to what I do.

If any of you are still reading this essay of a post, and have a moment to give me your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my questions regarding the Treo 700wx. Please, be honest. If you are simply a Fan-Boy attempting to sell another handset to spite RIM, take into consideration that it's coming out of my pocket. If it were on the company's dime, I'd keep them both.

Question 1. How reliable is Good Mobile Messaging (GoodLink), as opposed to ActiveSync? GoodLink claims to be "True-Push", but ActiveSync also claims to be Push. I'd like to conserve battery time, but instant emails is needed, due to the volume and type of work I do. Do either of these have any effects on the performance/normal operation of the 700wx? (Note: My office doesn't currently utilize EAS as far as I know,but they may be able to. If possible, please comment on EAS' performance in comparison if you know of it)

Question 2. How reliable is the speakerphone and earpiece on the 700wx? What about the overall performance/quality of calls? Anyone experience any problems that would prevent device use?

Question 3.Remote Desktop is used every now and then, but I guess it's the one thing I could live without. Anyone have experience with a specific 700wx application that they would suggest?

Additional Questions:
    What is your overall opinion of the Treo 700wx in comparison to the Blackberry 8700-series? (Feel free to speak your mind, even if you haven't personally used a Blackberry)

Do you consider your Treo 700w or 700wx reliable? How many shutdowns/resets/lockouts/BSOD's do you get on average, and do you have any mods/applications that might cause this?

On a side note: Those who want to say there is no device as reliable as a Blackberry, you should reconsider. I deal with at least 4 Executives a week who are on the BIS service on the 8703e, and have serious issues that require a Reset or Wipe-Handheld action. It's not just Microsoft, it's PDA's in general. I personally have had to call L2E and have them reset my Enterprise Activation at least 4 or 5 times in the last year. It's not their fault, I promise you, it's just how technology works.

Thank you so much. And if you are reading this before I get a chance to thin it out, a special thanks to you.

Regards,
    Anthony
    Last edited by FroogleThis; 05/03/2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Yellow is illegibal
    Wow Anthony. Well said.

My experience on the BB was with the 72xx series. I understand aesthetically the 87xx series is vastly better.

I hated the scroll wheel and the crippled PIM functionality. OTOH it bounced well when dropped.

I have the Sprint 700wx running off my Exchange Server. Push email is superb. Outlook functionality is nearly there. (I can't edit categories in tasks on my Treo, other little nonessentials like that. I have 2,000+ contacts, a full calendar, and 300 tasks at any given time. No problems.

No BSOD issues to speak of. I have pulled the soft reset game maybe 2 or 3 times in 3 months, probably because I had a 650 and I still do this reflexively.

I don't log into my server with the Treo. God made laptops for this.

I have no experience with Good. People I know who have is all say nice things. I have a small shop so it isn't cost effective to consider.

The 700wx is a great business tool. I have mine larded up with travel expense tracking, time and billing, and other software. I listen to seminars and music on my Treo.

I think you would get all of the productivity you need from the Treo. You will also get 'fun' which I think is a feature disabled in the BB operating system.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    The 700wx is a great business tool. I have mine larded up with travel expense tracking, time and billing, and other software. I listen to seminars and music on my Treo.

I think you would get all of the productivity you need from the Treo. You will also get 'fun' which I think is a feature disabled in the BB operating system.
    Excellent reply Tastyeppers, it's very much appreciated!

Yes, the 87xx was, at first appearance, a large leap in the End Users' mind. These were mostly cosmetic though, such as the brighter, crisper screen and the keypad spacing. The application though, has not noticeable changed much to the naked eye, which is where I need it to be. The reliability standpoint is very important, but the End-Users are where the "Voice of Change" comes from. With all the great insurance plans available (around $3/month to fully insure your handheld), and the rapid growth of the economy, I'd rather have a device that was slightly more functional. I can drive 2 miles from my house to get to a Sprint store if there's anything I can't fix on my own. If they can't either, they replace it. Simple as that. As I said, the Blackberry service taught me everything I needed to know, and I think it's great for extremely secure corporate environments (until there are more options for the SP/PPC). But, now's my time to go have some fun.

I just got off the phone with Link2Exchange's Support team. I figured I should check with them and see which user they hear from most often- the Blackberry users or the GoodLink users- and he laughed, saying it was definitely Blackberry users most often (which is probably due to the higher number of BES customers they have, in all fairness).

I also asked him about the difference between Good Mobile Messaging, and ActiveSync. He said that though the GMM service is slightly more expensive- (as opposed to ActiveSync, which is free to every customer), it is almost exactly the same as the BES. GMM sync's your PocketNotes, Tasks, and of course the normal Email/Calendar/Contacts. The upside, according to him, was the increased battery life you get with GMM, and the Truly-Push sync'ing.

I'm glad to see it's not just me that insta-resets devices when they have a problem. Pulling out the battery of my Blackberry had almost become as natural to me as the Ctrl+Alt+Del while using Windows XP.

Also, I skeptically went to SonicWall's site, kind of half-hoping to find a Blackberry version of the VPN client and no Windows Mobile version---but guess what! Foot-In-Mouth is my name today! It's actually the complete opposite, no BB support, but WM5+ is fully supported, free, and decently-reviewed. So, that answers my need for Remote Desktop.

Sorry for writing yet another book of a reply. As some of you may have felt yourself, I feel nervous about switching out my 'diaper'...aka...Blackberry, and I fear I'll forget to explain a specific point well enough. Though, a co-worker had a deactivated Treo 700w (he just purchased a 700wx, but hadn't used it enough to comment), that I snagged to see how I liked the form factor and OS. Not bad, but sensory-overload at first. I almost want to read the manual.

Thanks again for the reply. Anyone else, please feel free to debate/comment on anything I've asked/said/mentioned.

Regards,
    Anthony
    Last edited by FroogleThis; 05/03/2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Duh! I forgot to put a smiley.
    ok so let's take a look at your questions one at a time:

Here are my questions regarding the Treo 700wx. Please, be honest. If you are simply a Fan-Boy attempting to sell another handset to spite RIM, take into consideration that it's coming out of my pocket. If it were on the company's dime, I'd keep them both.

Question 1. How reliable is Good Mobile Messaging (GoodLink), as opposed to ActiveSync? GoodLink claims to be "True-Push", but ActiveSync also claims to be Push. I'd like to conserve battery time, but instant emails is needed, due to the volume and type of work I do. Do either of these have any effects on the performance/normal operation of the 700wx? (Note: My office doesn't currently utilize EAS as far as I know,but they may be able to. If possible, please comment on EAS' performance in comparison if you know of it)

A1 - I've used both Good and EAS (I use EAS at the moment), and there's no way I could see myself ever using Good again, knowing what I know now about how that application completely takes over the device with all its OWN pim apps. Good is probably just fine for someone who wants nothing more than a re-packaged BB, which I don't think you are. You want MORE than what BB delivers, and what Good does to a Treo (of any OS - Palm or WM) is basically hijack the device with all its PIM apps and hamstring the user from doing anything 'else' with the device. Yes, that's a harsh statement, but I'm just rolling it out there.

Plus, with EAS, you retain the native functionality of the device as Palm designed (Good takes much of that away) while STILL getting instant push email, calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. EAS is great, pure and simple.

Question 2. How reliable is the speakerphone and earpiece on the 700wx? What about the overall performance/quality of calls? Anyone experience any problems that would prevent device use?

A2 - I have found the speakerphone and earpiece on the WX to be awesome. No issues there at all.

Question 3.Remote Desktop is used every now and then, but I guess it's the one thing I could live without. Anyone have experience with a specific 700wx application that they would suggest?

A3 - there are probably tons of these out there (I mean c'mon - this is a WINDOWS device, after all), but why not just use the native Term Svcs client that's on the device out of the box?

Additional Questions:
    What is your overall opinion of the Treo 700wx in comparison to the Blackberry 8700-series? (Feel free to speak your mind, even if you haven't personally used a Blackberry)

A - RIM does what it does, and that's it. If you want MORE, you'll come over to the good side with us.

Do you consider your Treo 700w or 700wx reliable? How many shutdowns/resets/lockouts/BSOD's do you get on average, and do you have any mods/applications that might cause this?

A - I have no issues with any crashes on my WX (had tons of them on my old 650, but to be fair - I had that sucka loaded up with every applet and hack known to man - I don't NEED that on the WX; it's all there.). Of course, with any WM device, you will need to periodically check on the apps you have running. And of course the Treo has the unique feature of being able to press and hold the 'OK' button to bring up the memory mgmt app. Awesome.

So there ya go. The 700wx should be the device you're looking for.
    A suggestion. Start watching BB owners and see how many also carry a normal cell phone. A lot.

I would guess that Treo owners don't do this.

That tells me that the Treo may be a better phone--voice device, I mean.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    ok so let's take a look at your questions one at a time:

A1 - I've used both Good and EAS (I use EAS at the moment), and there's no way I could see myself ever using Good again, knowing what I know now about how that application completely takes over the device with all its OWN pim apps. Good is probably just fine for someone who wants nothing more than a re-packaged BB, which I don't think you are. You want MORE than what BB delivers, and what Good does to a Treo (of any OS - Palm or WM) is basically hijack the device with all its PIM apps and hamstring the user from doing anything 'else' with the device. Yes, that's a harsh statement, but I'm just rolling it out there.

Plus, with EAS, you retain the native functionality of the device as Palm designed (Good takes much of that away) while STILL getting instant push email, calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. EAS is great, pure and simple.

A2 - I have found the speakerphone and earpiece on the WX to be awesome. No issues there at all.

A3 - there are probably tons of these out there (I mean c'mon - this is a WINDOWS device, after all), but why not just use the native Term Svcs client that's on the device out of the box?

Additional Questions:

A - RIM does what it does, and that's it. If you want MORE, you'll come over to the good side with us.

A - I have no issues with any crashes on my WX (had tons of them on my old 650, but to be fair - I had that sucka loaded up with every applet and hack known to man - I don't NEED that on the WX; it's all there.). Of course, with any WM device, you will need to periodically check on the apps you have running. And of course the Treo has the unique feature of being able to press and hold the 'OK' button to bring up the memory mgmt app. Awesome.

So there ya go. The 700wx should be the device you're looking for.
    Another PHENOMINAL reply! Thanks so much!

I have one question about EAS though...

My company uses an Exchange Server of their own (I'll have to check on whether it's Exchange 2000 or 2003, but I'm pretty sure it's 2000). All I did, when I decided to get my BES hosted, was have the Exchange Server automatically forward a copy of the emails to my Link2Exchange email address. I then use the RPC protocol and specific settings (as directed by Link2Exchange) in my copy Outlook 2007 client to connect to the L2E exchange server, and my Blackberry activated on the BES. This pretty much makes my official company email location redundant, since I usually delete needless emails after reading them, and keep my Hosted inbox showing no more than a month's worth of emails (to stay below my disk quota).

Would you be able to answer a stupid question for me? I assume EAS stands for Exchange ActiveSync Server, or something like that. Is this the same thing as ActiveSync?

I'm hoping you can see this, but here's a link to Link2Exchange's Mobile-Hosting page http://www.link2exchange.com/service...ess/index.html, where is shows both GoodLink, and what they call "Windows Mobile Push 5.0-ActiveSync". If there's a difference between ActiveSync and EAS, and ActiveSync is the one that sends hidden text messages to the Treo, I'll probably steer clear of that.

Thanks again.

EDIT: And yea TastyPeppers, I have always seen that random person with both a BB and a normal cell phone. I usually assume that the BB is for their office, and the cell is personal. Government agencies provide Blackberries with a Policy that only allows secure email to the handheld-no phone/sms/web.
    quote:

My company uses an Exchange Server of their own (I'll have to check on whether it's Exchange 2000 or 2003, but I'm pretty sure it's 2000). All I did, when I decided to get my BES hosted, was have the Exchange Server automatically forward a copy of the emails to my Link2Exchange email address. I then use the RPC protocol and specific settings (as directed by Link2Exchange) in my copy Outlook 2007 client to connect to the L2E exchange server, and my Blackberry activated on the BES. This pretty much makes my official company email location redundant, since I usually delete needless emails after reading them, and keep my Hosted inbox showing no more than a month's worth of emails (to stay below my disk quota).

Would you be able to answer a stupid question for me? I assume EAS stands for Exchange ActiveSync Server, or something like that. Is this the same thing as ActiveSync?

I'm hoping you can see this, but here's a link to Link2Exchange's Mobile-Hosting page http://www.link2exchange.com/service...ess/index.html, where is shows both GoodLink, and what they call "Windows Mobile Push 5.0-ActiveSync". If there's a difference between ActiveSync and EAS, and ActiveSync is the one that sends hidden text messages to the Treo, I'll probably steer clear of that.
    end quote

Yes unfortunately Microsoft doesn't make things simple, when it comes to branding and product names. Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is the over-the-air solution, sometimes called 'Direct Push', and what L2E calls 'Windows Mobile Push 5.0-ActiveSync'. Same thing. ActiveSync, in its traditional product name, is the local PC cable sync - not over the air. And ActiveSync (not EAS) is changing its name as well, in Vista. It's going to be called 'Windows Mobile Device Center' or something like that (can't recall offhand; it all runs together).

And to your question about hidden text messages - that's no longer relevant. If the Exchange Server is 2003, SP2 or higher, and the device being used has MSFP on it (a ROM udpate that came out last year, for just about all devices), then the connection to the Exchange server to the device is constant, and is an IP connection.

So here's the summary:

ActiveSync (changing its name) - is the local PC sync solution - cable or cradle, whatever. The legacy way the devices sync. (Palm OS version of this same basic function is called HotSync, as you may recall).

Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - sometimes called Microsoft Direct Push - is the always on, always connected instant push of email, calendar, contacts, tasks. Requires Exchange 2003, SP2 or higher. No hidden SMS messages.

Make sense?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    quote:

end quote

Yes unfortunately Microsoft doesn't make things simple, when it comes to branding and product names. Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is the over-the-air solution, sometimes called 'Direct Push', and what L2E calls 'Windows Mobile Push 5.0-ActiveSync'. Same thing. ActiveSync, in its traditional product name, is the local PC cable sync - not over the air. And ActiveSync (not EAS) is changing its name as well, in Vista. It's going to be called 'Windows Mobile Device Center' or something like that (can't recall offhand; it all runs together).

And to your question about hidden text messages - that's no longer relevant. If the Exchange Server is 2003, SP2 or higher, and the device being used has MSFP on it (a ROM udpate that came out last year, for just about all devices), then the connection to the Exchange server to the device is constant, and is an IP connection.

So here's the summary:

ActiveSync (changing its name) - is the local PC sync solution - cable or cradle, whatever. The legacy way the devices sync. (Palm OS version of this same basic function is called HotSync, as you may recall).

Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - sometimes called Microsoft Direct Push - is the always on, always connected instant push of email, calendar, contacts, tasks. Requires Exchange 2003, SP2 or higher. No hidden SMS messages.

Make sense?
    Brilliantly explained. Thank you very much!

Looks like all I have to do is wait for Sprint to mail/fax the Purchase Order/Invoice from when I purchased the Blackberry (over the phone, no emails about it), so I can take it to the local Sprint store and exchange it for the Treo.

Thank you all for the answers, and especially for your time!