1.    #1  
    I am in downtown chicago at my office in a highrise. I just performed a speed test at www.mobilespeedtest.com and it says my bandwidth reading is 46.60kbps (5.83 Kb/s). I have near full signal strength. Is this really slow? It took awhile to do the test.

Do I have some settings wrong? It seems slow and has never really been that fast.

Help!!!
    I can't speak for Chicago.. but... for me, in Denver, those speed tests (at Hofo at least) don't work very good with my tethered 700wx. I can connect to the web, I can browse fast, and once in a while (maybe 1 out of 10 times) I can complete a speed test with numbers like 400-800kb down and 150kb up. But most of the time the test will not complete because it "stalls" on the upload part and times out.

No matter, I often do actually upload in real life and have never had any serious issues. With speed or otherwise.

Bottom line for me... I quit testing and just "use".

Also, you gotta check these things different times, different days, different times of days... no one experience is ever definitive. There is a lot of variance with EVDO and/or 1x, your carrier, and the web in general.

EDIT: I should mention, it is on BT tethering I have had the most testing issues. May only be a BT thing. Also, based on your results, it could be that although your phone is showing EV when you start, your EV signal is so weak that 1x is being used. I've noticed, with my 700wx, the phone doesn't seem to be too good at switching between EV and 1x when necessary. Also, this "switching" kinda destroys any data flow. And also, the indicator itself doesn't seem too accurate as far as updating itself to the latest conditions. It's as if the indicator is an entirely different thread/program than the actual phone control algorithms. I never had these type issues with my LG phones. Just my experience...

-Frank
    Last edited by Frankxs; 05/03/2007 at 10:06 AM.
    I'm in the southwest suburbs of Chicago and my speeds range from 350-450. Every once in a while I will see it dip a bit lower but it's rare.
  4.    #4  
    hmmm...do you think I have a setting wrong?? i noticed this b/c my slingbox is really choppy. I've messed around with the settings for slingbox and nothing really solves it....
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    hmmm...do you think I have a setting wrong?? i noticed this b/c my slingbox is really choppy. I've messed around with the settings for slingbox and nothing really solves it....
    I honestly do not know what to tell you. I'm sure someone who can help you out will chime in sooner or later. Have you always had issues with your speed or is it something that just happened? If that's the case just give it a day or two and see if it clears up. Or give Sprint a call and see what they say.